Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Today morning I found a baby pigeon who had an eye infection and mucus discharge. There wasn't any canker but he was so puffed up. I took him to check his body temperature and all of a sudden his head got twisted and turned up to 360 degrees. He is walking and flying and eats very well and drinks nicely but his head or neck is a problem. He doesn't have PMV so Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Not sure what is going on with him. Are you sure it isn't PMV? Someone more expert should be answering soon. Thank you for helping him.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did some research on the internet and his poop is similar to salmonella. I can give a picture of the poop. His head movement is similar to that of the salmonella pigeons. His one eye is kind of swelled up.Anyways to get a clear information I am sending the picture.

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Hi

When you say it's a baby pigeon, about how old would you estimate?

The poop is certainly nothing like 'normal', agree. I have seen poop like that with Salmonellosis but also with E.coli. PMV generally has, of course, multiple symptoms, and PMV birds are usually trying to behave in a normal pigeon way (they are mobile). Salmonellosis usually means they 'look sick', puffed up, don't hardly move. It is quite possible for parent bird(s) to be carriers of Salmonellosis - we quite often get posts about one baby seeming OK, the other one getting sick and dieing. Problem with poops cane that sometimes it's just bad diet or even a change of diet affects them.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am really not sure about his age but I can give you his picture. He is active and grooms his body but in his recent poop there are traces of blood. is it Salmonella or any disease so that I can cure him at the earliest?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Picture of the pigeon. He doesn't have a white lining on the nose so I suppose he is a baby. And the poop nearby him you can see the traces of blood.

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Picture of his recent poop after feeding him peas and eating grains by his own.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Please help me! His head is going REALLY weird. I need help seriously!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Help!!!! Help really really needed!!

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
All you can really do right now is keep him in a comfortable, soft cage or box, hand feed him if necessary and also ensure he has water. If you have other birds, keep him totally separated. Unless you can send some poop samples to a facility that will do test for bacteria and parasites, it's not possible to know what the problem actually is. Poop looks more firm, and better. If he is trying to be active and his head is all over the place it is more likely to be PMV as that is the most common cause of that kind of symptom, but that doesn't rule out another cause of course.

The blood is, I regret, not something I could make a suggestion about. If he's been in a RTA then it's possible he could have head trauma causing his symptoms, plus internal damage. Possibly a severe infestation of worms, but I really don't know if that would cause bleeding.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
The first pic of droppings near the bird actually look like starvation droppings. I don't imagine he has been eating much. The nest pic of the dropping could be because you hand fed him. Salmonella can also cause head twisting. Worms can even cause it if they migrate to the brain. Blood in the droppings can be caused by Cocci or worms, and probably other things as well. He could even have eaten something that has injured him inside. Having the droppings checked would be best to know exactly what you are dealing with. Without that, I would treat with a wide spectrum antibiotic like Baytril, and treat for canker. Canker can cause a lot of mucous and what appears to be the eye infection also. You can't always see canker in their throat, and it often goes hand in hand with other illness. I would also worm him. I did get a new bird in from a bird show, that seemed fine for a couple of days and then he started acting sick and he had blood in his droppings. When I wormed him, he was full of worms, so I wormed the 2 others that I had gotten with him. They all had worms. But he was particularly loaded with them. I didn't know the name of the guy I had gotten them from unfortunately, so I couldn't get in touch with him to let him know that his loft was full of birds with worms. Apparently he doesn't take great care of his birds.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
This is what we got when I wormed him, and yes there was lots of blood in his droppings. I'm surprised he survived. One can only imagine how sick he felt, yet he didn't show it for the first couple of days. That is what they do.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Looks like the worm treatment worked. Eeewwww. :)
The bird with the neck problem sure looks like he has PMV and would definitely benefit from feeding and supportive care.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am really telling it's not PMV because I had an experience with another bird I rescued.Anyway I will try my best to take him to a vet:). His symptoms are similar like salmonella. He had diarrhea when I first bought him and he had a lot of small injury here and there in his body. I already noticed him standing all puffed and sick in a window a day before i bought him. Is ciproflaxcin safe for pigeons? Because I don't have baytril at home.i am giving him prebiotics just in case of worms:)

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Yes, you can use Cipro, not as good as Baytril, but you can use it. Of course it depends on if whatever it is, is sensitive to Cipro.

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
I am really telling it's not PMV because I had an experience with another bird I rescued.Anyway I will try my best to take him to a vet:). His symptoms are similar like salmonella. He had diarrhea when I first bought him and he had a lot of small injury here and there in his body. I already noticed him standing all puffed and sick in a window a day before i bought him. Is ciproflaxcin safe for pigeons? Because I don't have baytril at home.i am giving him prebiotics just in case of worms:)
Probiotics don't deal with worms. You need a pigeon worming product, maybe ivomectin or moxidectin.

If he does have worms, they won't cause the 'PMV like' symptoms. It's actually worm larvae from raccoon worms which can reach the brain. That would kill him pretty quick.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I took him to a vet and she told it has PMV. I really sure it's not PMV because it's poop is so solid and it's not watery but it's head is in a very bad condition. At least before it could hold it's neck straight but now it's going fully down. I so scared right now because it couldn't lift it's head. Any ideas to provide a support to his neck? That would be REALLY helpful:(

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was rubbing his neck and found some 'knots' formed on his nerve in the sense his nerve is twisted. Any ideas to keep his neck straight because I REALLY need help right now :(

1 - 20 of 49 Posts