Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On April 20th a client at the animal hospital I work at came in with a 5 day old bird (based on pin feathers) that was in really bad shape. It looked like it got attacked but a cat. So we took it in and brought it back to health and after a few days we realized it is a pigeon. I was all set to give it to a gentleman near me who raises pigeons but we were unsure at the time if he would grow fail feathers at all because of his injuries.

However in the past 2 months there has been no progress on regrowing feathers on his bottom so the gentleman I was speaking to cannot take him. :( So I need to find him a home because he cannot be released to the wild.

I live on Long Island in NY and would be willing to drive to get him a home.

I am not sure he is actually a he, but his name is Sheriff. He is completely friendly and loves to hang out on shoulders and will perch on hands. He gets along with my other birds and my cats fine (unless they bother him) but he does NOT get along with dogs. He can fly even though he has no tail, but I have never seen him go more than 20 feet. I do let him out in the yard but he is still terrified on "the big blue room with the green carpet" because he has been living in my apartment (free range) for 2 months.

But all in all he needs a new home. I cannot keep him in my apartment because it's not fair to him. But he needs a home that will be able to handle my little special needs pigeon.

So if you know anyone in NY or the area that can take on my little project please reply! Thanks very much!

Attachments

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Does he have only the one leg? Or is he just standing that way? As far as letting him fly outside, that is dangerous. If he would be to fly away somewhere that you couldn't get him, he would be free outside but he wouldn't survive. I would really keep him flying inside.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He does have the two legs he is just standing like that.

And when he is outside I have him on a bird leash (for my parrot) so he is safe. Although I am sure all the other pigeons would make fun of him if they saw his neon pink harness. Plus the only place he flies is to me. But thank you! :D

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
He is completely friendly and loves to hang out on shoulders and will perch on hands. He gets along with my other birds and my cats fine (unless they bother him) but he does NOT get along with dogs. He can fly even though he has no tail, but I have never seen him go more than 20 feet. I do let him out in the yard but he is still terrified on "the big blue room with the green carpet" because he has been living in my apartment (free range) for 2 months.

But all in all he needs a new home. I cannot keep him in my apartment because it's not fair to him.
Thanks for saving him.

If I may just interject...it sounds like he has a pretty good life, considering. I mean, granted, someone with a loft or aviary who would take an unreleasable, healed Feral is the optimum solution, but...it doesn't sound like his current situation is 'unfair to him'. It sounds like he has a very loving home....

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
He does have the two legs he is just standing like that.

And when he is outside I have him on a bird leash (for my parrot) so he is safe. Although I am sure all the other pigeons would make fun of him if they saw his neon pink harness. Plus the only place he flies is to me. But thank you! :D
Thanks for clearing that up.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for saving him.

If I may just interject...it sounds like he has a pretty good life, considering. I mean, granted, someone with a loft or aviary who would take an unreleasable, healed Feral is the optimum solution, but...it doesn't sound like his current situation is 'unfair to him'. It sounds like he has a very loving home....
I do definitely love him and I know I could take care of him but I do animal rescue for a job. I am really just a foster, so I never really intended on keeping him from day 1. lol It's a slippery slope when you start keeping your rescues! (although I would love to!)

I have more kittens coming through my home than anything else. My biggest fear is that one of my future feral kitten rescues is going to find him a lot more entertaining then my cats who currently are completely uninterested.

But really, I foster. I make then happy and healthy and try to find homes for them. You can't live in a halfway house forever...

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I rescued a squeaker pigeon, Luxie-311 in 2006, who couldn't use his tail (because of paratyphoid or salmonellosis, I suspected). Couldn't keep him in our very small one-room apartment in Cologne at the time, knew no one who would take him in. He lived on the street, had a more or less normal life, but I think a hawk caught him on the street in front of our apartment because he could not outmaneuver the raptors. Saw a bunch of feathers on the street, and saw no more of Luxie-311. He courted a female, Bronzi, whom I also rescued, but couldn't drag his tail in the courtship ritual. She died from pigeon pox (had a large swelling under the left eye). Neither made it through their first birthdays.

Larry

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Well...that was an uplifting story.....

Although it reinforces the point, there is no way a tail-less Feral can make it in that world...so lbrenton your decision is correct in that your friend is unreleasable. Best of luck finding a home.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in Las Vegas and would really love to adopt it in a heart beat!!! But unfortunately I can't...I recently found a hurt pigeon right outside of our patio and the poor little thing could not walk at all.. I t had to drag itself around...The poor thing passed away, which in a way it was better for it..It broke our hearts to see it that way. But when we had it, it was given lots of love. I pray that you'll find a good home for it and bless you for taking it in...

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
That's good of you to have cared for it, at least.

...the thing to keep in mind is, with birds, they cannot just recover from injury the way mammals do. their circulatory systems are very finite, and they cannot 'fight off' an infection the way mammals can. Whenever you find an injured bird, of any species, it needs medical treatment (i.e. medication and probably a vet visit or in the very least suggestions from someone who has experience in bird care) and not just supportive care (i.e. food, warmth, water, rest).

If you are in vegas, Forum member pdpbison (Phil) aslo lives there, and he is a good person to know as he will often gladly criss-cross the city to help an injured bird.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Hello Ibrenton,

If you can not find a home for Sheriff & you are willing to pay for a shipping box & the cost of shipping we can give him/her a forever home.

But you would not be able to ship him/her until closer to fall when the weather cools.

We have quite a few pigeons that live at our sanctuary some in lofts & some in the house.

I totally understand if you do not want to send him or wait that long.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts