Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I found a pigeon outside my house wounded. Maybe a cat must have attacked her. Then I took her into my home and take a big cartoon box and put her into there with towels on top to warm her. She was very silent and doesn't move around. At first when I searched it in google they said she might be in shock so keep her in dark place without any noise. I did that too but nothing happened. I tried to open box and let her walk but she always try to hide in some corner where we don't find her. Also, she doesn't eat anything but sometime when I offer her water and dip her beak into there, she just take a sip and take her head away, I don't know what to do now. Can anyone suggest me? Also in google it says to make her eat by opening her beak with our hand but I am scared on it.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Can you post a photo? Might be a youngster that can't eat by himself yet. He will also need antibiotics, as cat saliva is deadly for birds. Can you get amoxycillin from a pharmacy? Betamox capsules (500 mg amoxy) works best and you will only need 2 for treatment. Plse post for dosage when you get them.

What do the droppings look like? If green and creamy, then he is starving. Frozen peas thawed in warm water are very easy to handfeed. Just put one deep inside his beak over the tongue and let him swallow. Feed 15 peas for a start and when that gets digested (droppings will change) feed more. A youngster will need 30 to 40 peas 3 times a day, an adult 50 peas 3 times a day You can also (before feeding) check if the mouth and throat is clear. If you see any yellowish growths, then he has canker which can be treated with metronidazole.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts