Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 3 -4 weeks ago a ringed pigeon showed up at our house and started eating with our feral flock, and tried to find a place to roost here with them. It took cover under the bushes when the flock scattered from a falcon.

On Monday it didn't go down to feed with the rest of them and I managed to catch it. We tried to trace the owner via the ring but it seems the owner has used an very old ring (1997!) and the ringmaster doesn't have data so far back.

The bird isn't eating over the past 3 days. Just made some attempt when I put the cage outside on Wednesday near the other birds.
Its poop was greenish and not much and the urates more yellow. We tried to crop feed it handrear formula this morning, but it brought it up during the morning.

It does have some white nodules on the side of its mouth and we have given it meditrich.

Recently the flock had access to seed that had been wet/rained on when we moved a small aviary we had and didn't get to rake up all the seed in the grass.

Could this be salmonella? Could birds get that if the seed had started fermenting? Some of it had grown/sprouted.

We have given it some baytril and have some 4 in 1 that we thought of giving it from tomorrow morning, that I read about in a Salmonella article.

I read about Thyphoid cure with 3 antibiotics in it - does anyone know what 3 antibiotics they are? We don't have that.

The bird just mainly sits in the back of the cage on the bottom. We have a light on in the cage. I haven't seen it drink when I have gone to check up on it often during the day. So obviously it losing weight - and we are hesitant to feed it again after it brought up the first feed.

We don't know how best to treat or help this bird??

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Can you post a picture of the bird? And of his droppings?
It does sound like canker, which would be pretty normal for a lost bird who is very stressed. I would give 50 mg once daily of Metronidazole for 10 days. Meditrich is 100 mg., so just split the pill and give him a half once a day. Canker can make them vomit, and so can Metro, but giving it on a full crop, the med will make him vomit less. Given on an empty crop, he will vomit more. If you can get some Pepto Bismol, and give him a few drops about 30 minutes before feeding and medicating, that will usually help to prevent the vomiting also.
Another way to feed would be buy some frozen peas. Defrost enough for one meal under warm running water, and give them one at a time, warm but not hot. This is how:

If you need to feed peas to a pigeon, hold the bird on your lap and against your body. This gives you more control. Reach from behind his head with one hand and grasp his beak on either side. Now use your free hand to open the beak, and put a pea in, then push it to the back of his throat and over his tongue. Let him close his beak and swallow. Then do another. It gets easier with practice, and the bird also gets more used to it, and won't fight as much. If you can't handle the bird, then use the sleeve cut off a t-shirt, slip it over his head and onto his body, with his head sticking out. This will stop him from being able to fight you so much. Just don't make it tight around his crop area. It helps if you have him facing your right side if you are right handed.

I don't like the 3 in 1 or 4 in 1 meds, as they don't work well. They don't normally have enough of any one med in them to do anything.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is a pic of Lofty (as he from someone’s loft) and its overnight poop from Friday/Saturday.

And these are the pages from the cage from previous 3 nights

Sorry - I tried to copy them into a word doc and crop them, and paste them into the text of this message but it didn't work. And the photos are bigger (650Kb) than the max filesize allowed (100kb) even when I cropped the originals - so I don't quite know how to attach them?

Attachments

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
These are starvation droppings. The bird isn't eating and needs to be hand fed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jay3 -

I didn't realise that pic attachment had actually worked... and we have been crop feeding him since Saturday.

Today he was kind of pecking at a variety of seed but seemed to pick up and then discard more than he tried to eat - as if he was not finding what he wanted to eat. Or he still doesn't have much appetite.

He is on day 7 of Meditrich and we started dovabiotic (doxycycline) over the weekend as he started wheezing and it sounded like a respiratory problem. This has stopped now.

Here is a pic of Lofty - his eyes aren't closed most of the time as in this pic

Attachments

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
The wheezing may have stopped because of the Meditrich. Kind of soon for the Doxy to have done that. I would continue the Metro through day 10 anyway. Continue the Doxy for the 10 days though. Once started, it is important to finish the treatment.
He isn't feeling well so isn't eating. Both illness and Metro can do that.
He would be much more comfortable on a flat perch then on a round one. Even a brick would be better so he doesn't need to grab on all the time. Pigeons prefer to just be able to stand or even lay down. Not relaxing when you need to hang on like that.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
He may also have air sac mites. It causes symptoms that many mistake for canker or respiratory infection. Many, including veterinarians.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He does mostly stand on the ground ... I took a pic of him on the perch as it was a rare sighting :) But I will put something flatter for him to stand on as well.

He is still not eating - we are still crop feeding him. We finish the Meditrich today. It looks like the white nodule or two inside him beak has gone.

Can anything be done if its something like airsac mites? We did see mite on his feathers this week. Are there 2 different types?

We have 5 sick ones now... and they seem to be such a mix of symptoms. One young bird, and the rest older. It doesn't seem like one disease affecting them all. But most aren't eating. Quite a few of them were perching in the same Bougainvillea near our front door , which is under an overhang. So perhaps something is spreading amongst that group of birds?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
If he had the canker in his mouth and is now gone, then may well have been canker. Would finish the 10 day treatment. Not much you can do about the other birds unless you can catch them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts