Pigeon-Talk banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

Registered
Exactly what Apple did... Even when she tried to pick something up.... Nothing....
Same things with poops... When I tried to not feeding her... Poops became watery and green..

It seems that our birds have much in common... Maybe we should make them meet, Apple could help him sharing her experience 馃槈.

Btw, I think that Apple would love to sit and lie down next to piano when someone is playing!

You could also try to leave available a flower pot saucer filled with a very large variety of seeds (you could also add dried legumes like mung beans and small lentils. My birds are crazy for mung beans!). I use rectangular plastic ones (see the pics). You could also put him inside it. Btw, some of my birds love eating while lying down inside it 馃榿.

Anyway, be patient! I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I really hope he will start soon to eat on his own!

Keep us updated!

Attachments

Registered
My rescue Xena hasn鈥檛 been able to eat herself since I rescued her / it鈥檚 been 5-6 months now. She loves to pick up seeds and chatter them in her mouth and drop them or fling them! I let her watch videos of pigeons eating and she gets excited and pecks with ferocity but still doesn鈥檛 eat. She will however allow me to feed her seeds now, so that鈥檚 my silver lining! My vet told me to be patient and sometimes it takes up to a year for the instinct to eat independently to kick in. If you have any success though, do let us know!

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
Thank you. I'll try sesame and flaxseed!
Watching video I've tried - he loves it but still doesn't eat....

So I finally have an update - after 3 months he started pecking off the millet seed from toast bread! :) he's still not eating enough to feed himself but it's a start! I had offered him that before and he didnt accept and out of nothing he started.... he's trying to pick up larger seeds too but still keeps dropping them out..... let's see how it goes - but it's a start!!!:love:馃コ

Registered
Discussion Starter #24
My rescue Xena hasn鈥檛 been able to eat herself since I rescued her / it鈥檚 been 5-6 months now. She loves to pick up seeds and chatter them in her mouth and drop them or fling them! I let her watch videos of pigeons eating and she gets excited and pecks with ferocity but still doesn鈥檛 eat. She will however allow me to feed her seeds now, so that鈥檚 my silver lining! My vet told me to be patient and sometimes it takes up to a year for the instinct to eat independently to kick in. If you have any success though, do let us know!
So I finally have an update - after 3 months he started pecking off the millet seeds and a few flaxseed from toast bread! :) he's still not eating enough to feed himself but it's a start! I had offered him that before and he didnt accept and out of nothing he started.... he's trying to pick up larger seeds too but still keeps dropping them out..... let's see how it goes - but it's a start!!!:love:馃コ

21 - 26 of 26 Posts