Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I started feeding vitamins in my water. Talk about a big difference in my youngsters. Both youngsters are the same size, feathers are filling in faster and they are stronger. Fertility has increased and both eggs are hatching.
How many of us think our feed is complete? I am an old dairy farmer from Idaho and feeding dairy cows was a big eye opener. Several farms I managed had cattle that could not get pregnant, they had pot bellies and had long hair. My first objective was to get minerals into the animals. Within a month of feeding minerals and vitamins the bellies disappeared, cows got pregnant and they slicked up. My point is our feed does not have all the nutrition it claims. Our soils have been used or depleted of nutrition. A hundred years of farming the same soil only putting three nutrients back has bankrupted our food supply and our pigeon feed. I feed vitamins five days a week and in off days I use apple cider vinegar and garlic. My point is if there are specific problems with your birds do something different. Avoid medications unless needed and look to your health food store or computer for information. Keep looking but don't neglect using vitamins. Just remember Rollers not only rock but they roll.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for sharing.

Prevention is best. I firmly believe in nutrition. I believe organic or as close to organic vitamin and mineral supplementation is best. I have used it with very good results both with dogs and with my pigeons as their food is supposed to be complete but it isn't and doesn't address the needs of certain breeds.

Our cows and chickens are depleted because of depleted soil, get back to organic farming, using organic fertilizers and rotate crops and allowing cows and chickens to free range on healthy grasses makes such a difference for their health, as well as ours.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts