Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone pleass help! On Sat 3-21-09 I went on my balconey and a pigeon flew out from the corner! As I looked closer I found two eggs in a small empty flower pot. WHAT do I DO? So far I have put out a few seeds, bread crumbs. Tonight 3-24-09 I put out water. While the birs is letting me get closer without flying way he/she always does. Where I live is very cold tonight it will be 20 degress. Next week there will be snow! Which will have the birdies completly covered if I dont dontdo something. BTW i think my feathered friends have been hanging out back there going on two weeks. Any help I will take!

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Someone pleass help! On Sat 3-21-09 I went on my balconey and a pigeon flew out from the corner! As I looked closer I found two eggs in a small empty flower pot. WHAT do I DO? So far I have put out a few seeds, bread crumbs. Tonight 3-24-09 I put out water. While the birs is letting me get closer without flying way he/she always does. Where I live is very cold tonight it will be 20 degress. Next week there will be snow! Which will have the birdies completly covered if I dont dontdo something. BTW i think my feathered friends have been hanging out back there going on two weeks. Any help I will take!
Thank you for your care and concern over these birds.

While cold is not a big deal, wind/rain and snow will be a big deal. If you could shelter them from wind and rain, and snow that would be greatly appreciated. Can you put a cover over their nesting area and protect them from the elements?

Do provide them a little corn and seed as well as water, just enough that there aren't any leftovers each day, as that would attract intruders as well as unwanted observers/predators of all kinds.

·
Registered
21 Posts
thank you so much you guys.:D I am the one who started this post. Somehow I came in as unregistered. Right now she/he planted themselves in a flower pot with very little nest type stuff in it. I dont know how to post pics but I can if the site will let me. I moved a small childs table over the nesting area. I was wondering should I put a blanket over the table with a hole in it for the pigeon pair to get in and out of it. I am in the Rochester NY area (greece) would love help from the people who know about this best.

·
Registered
777 Posts
That table will help alot...not sure I would add a blanket but if there was a way to shelter one or two sides that would keep rain and the elements from being blown in...even a sheet of cardboard propped next to it. Then the better you are able to leave them alone the better. If it looks like just one parent, then you might need to have the seed and water near the nest so Mom can eat and hop right back on the eggs. Everything else should just follow its natural course...a couple weeks down the road and within a 24 hour period, both eggs should hatch and you will see and hear the little ones as Mom feeds them. Just keep watch that there are no problems...put the babies back in the nest if they flop out, post immediately if a parent is not on the babies for any length of time..etc...and post any more questions you might have.

Thanks for taking the time and making the effort for this bird...:p

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok so I found the pigeon eggs on 3-21-09 a week tomorrow. How long before baby birds hatch? And at what point do I get rid of the eggs if they don't hatch? YES, I am still worried as in Rochester NY it is still very cold, going down to 20-35 degrees at night, days barely above 40-50 degrees. (am I sounding like a mother hen?) I cant tell if there is a mom and a dad,(most pigeon look alike to me) but from my readings they are suppose to be a mating pair. I have left seeds, and water out for her(them?). So they dont have to go far. I have even been allowed to look on closer, for longer periods of time, and take pics. Not too skitish of me anymore.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Ok so I found the pigeon eggs on 3-21-09 a week tomorrow. How long before baby birds hatch? And at what point do I get rid of the eggs if they don't hatch? YES, I am still worried as in Rochester NY it is still very cold, going down to 20-35 degrees at night, days barely above 40-50 degrees. (am I sounding like a mother hen?) I cant tell if there is a mom and a dad,(most pigeon look alike to me) but from my readings they are suppose to be a mating pair. I have left seeds, and water out for her(them?). So they dont have to go far. I have even been allowed to look on closer, for longer periods of time, and take pics. Not too skitish of me anymore.
If one of the parents is sitting on the eggs all the time, there's a good chance they'll hatch. Should hatch about 18 or 19 days AFTER they are laid........so by at least the 9th of March, but maybe a day or so earlier.
Just so you might be able to distinguish....MOM usually sits during the night and in the morning. DAD will take over around 1100ish or so and sit until around 400ish.....that's not set in stone of course, but it's close......

·
Registered
21 Posts
If one of the parents is sitting on the eggs all the time, there's a good chance they'll hatch. Should hatch about 18 or 19 days AFTER they are laid........so by at least the 9th of March, but maybe a day or so earlier.
Just so you might be able to distinguish....MOM usually sits during the night and in the morning. DAD will take over around 1100ish or so and sit until around 400ish.....that's not set in stone of course, but it's close......
Thank you so much for the info. I am learning so much. I can't help it I now HAVE to look on the in betwwen time to see if i see a differance.:D

·
Registered
21 Posts
ok, so a few days after I found the pigeon eggs I did place a small cover over the table to protect every one from the rain. well the last week we had very cold temps and three night ago snow! Well as it got colder and to prepare for the snow I place a larger blacket over the one I had before to totally cover the nesting spot. Well not so easy for the pegion parents to fly away coming from under the blanketed table is not easy. The first of me shovleing the balcony they flew away, then got use to it. I guess they understood I was helping them out they even looked at me as I placed the seeds and water under the blanket covered table without flinching. We had cold weather here snice Sunday (below freezing and wind chills). I am happy to report that today I saw two little baby pigeons! I think they did hatch yesterday but I would not investigate too close as it was so cold, I just wanted mom and dad to do their job and keep little ones warm. I want to thank everyone for your help with this situation. I know have a few more questions. How long before everyone happily flies away? And what is the likelyhood mom and dad will come back again next year? I heard somewhere that most birds lay eggs in the same place every year. Not sure if i want to do this again next year, even though so far it has been a fun learning experince.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
In about four weeks the babies should be flying. But the parents might start courting and trying to lay eggs before that, in a bout 2-3 weeks.
You can discourage that by removing all warm, cozy nesting places and if they start bringing in nesting material remove it every time, they will get the point.
Thank you for allowing the couple to call your balcony home to raise their babies.

Reti

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
ok, so a few days after I found the pigeon eggs I did place a small cover over the table to protect every one from the rain. well the last week we had very cold temps and three night ago snow! Well as it got colder and to prepare for the snow I place a larger blacket over the one I had before to totally cover the nesting spot. Well not so easy for the pegion parents to fly away coming from under the blanketed table is not easy. The first of me shovleing the balcony they flew away, then got use to it. I guess they understood I was helping them out they even looked at me as I placed the seeds and water under the blanket covered table without flinching. We had cold weather here snice Sunday (below freezing and wind chills). I am happy to report that today I saw two little baby pigeons! I think they did hatch yesterday but I would not investigate too close as it was so cold, I just wanted mom and dad to do their job and keep little ones warm. I want to thank everyone for your help with this situation. I know have a few more questions. How long before everyone happily flies away? And what is the likelyhood mom and dad will come back again next year? I heard somewhere that most birds lay eggs in the same place every year. Not sure if i want to do this again next year, even though so far it has been a fun learning experince.
Oh goodness.......somehow I missed this thread after I posted to it.......LOL
Sorry bout' that.
So, you've got two babies on your balcony now! That's great. You are right not to disturb them too much. Baby pigeons are sat on by Mom and Dad 24/7 for the first 8 days or so. If you're keeping them supplied with food and water, they have no reason to leave the nest. Everything should be fine. At about 12 days or so of age, you may notice both parents gone at times during the day. Don't panic.......that's normal. The older the babies get, the longer they will be left alone.........Good luck and keep us posted on what goes on.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi everyone it is me again! I don't know how to post pics on here so I thought I would give you all a link to my facebook page where I posted the pics. The first pic is when I found the eggs on on the 21st of March and the last on the day after I think they were hatched April 9th. That is the only day mom and dad refused to leave the nest to let me look when I got close, and the ONLY day I did not look into the flower pot. I will add pics to Facebook as I get them.
Again, a million thank you's to all of you who helped me with this. Will keep you posted.

Show people this album by sending them this public link:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=84554&id=711180587&l=0b0a69fb25Advertise

·
Registered
21 Posts
um need some help again. The baby birds are ten days old today and I am wondering what I should do. I have not seen mom or dad sitting on my young lightly feathers friends at all today. The weather is a bit warmer so not too worried as I heard them early this morning. (is it mom or dad that makes the loudest sounds) At what point if I dont see parents should I worry? Is it ok for the parents to be gone for hours at a time. My next concern is all the poop in the flower pot. Mom pigeon felt that my flower pot was a good nesting spot. Now it stinks! REAL BAD! The pot has about two inches of poop in it. Should I put on some gloves, take the babies out, dump out the poop, put the babies back in, and let it start all over? Just worried about the health and saftey on the little ones. (both babies have eyes open and seem alert). Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
um need some help again. The baby birds are ten days old today and I am wondering what I should do. I have not seen mom or dad sitting on my young lightly feathers friends at all today. The weather is a bit warmer so not too worried as I heard them early this morning. (is it mom or dad that makes the loudest sounds) At what point if I dont see parents should I worry? Is it ok for the parents to be gone for hours at a time. My next concern is all the poop in the flower pot. Mom pigeon felt that my flower pot was a good nesting spot. Now it stinks! REAL BAD! The pot has about two inches of poop in it. Should I put on some gloves, take the babies out, dump out the poop, put the babies back in, and let it start all over? Just worried about the health and saftey on the little ones. (both babies have eyes open and seem alert). Thanks again for the help.

It is normal for the parents to leave the babies alone at this age SOME of the time. As long as the babies are being fed, then they should be ok.
As far as the poop.......it's not going to hurt the babies. I wouldn't worry about trying to clean it just yet. MAYBE in another week, but we'll see how it goes till then. Sounds like things are progressing just the way they should.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I just tried to look at pictures on Facebook, but didn't see any? I don't really know much about Facebook. We would LOVE to see pictures of the babies. It's pretty easy to start an album here on this site.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Hi everyone it is me again! I don't know how to post pics on here so I thought I would give you all a link to my facebook page where I posted the pics. The first pic is when I found the eggs on on the 21st of March and the last on the day after I think they were hatched April 9th. That is the only day mom and dad refused to leave the nest to let me look when I got close, and the ONLY day I did not look into the flower pot. I will add pics to Facebook as I get them.
Again, a million thank you's to all of you who helped me with this. Will keep you posted.

Show people this album by sending them this public link:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=84554&id=711180587&l=0b0a69fb25Advertise
I just had a look at your album. The albums are sort of weird because the pictures are loaded from last to first, instead of first to last. No way to change the order that I know of. Anyway.........I did see the pictures, and it seems you've done a terrific job of keeping the birds covered during bad weather and they've excepted it all just fine. That's great. The babies look like they're doing good to me. Good job!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.