Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this tiny bird today, and to me it looks like it has a pigeon beak, but the bird itself seems so tiny, and reminds me of dove coloration. It was trying to fly, but couldn't get more than an inch or 2 off the ground, so I put it a cage inside and put water and dove seed for it to eat, but so far I don't think it's eaten. The poor thing is probably super stressed as it was well over 100 degrees out when I got it.
Can an expert here tell me is this pigeon or dove?
Thank you!

A little about me. I know next to nothing about birds, but this winter/spring I rescued 6 dif pigeons. I kept them a few weeks before bringing them to a pigeon rescuer AZWhitefeather gave me contact info for. 1 pigeon I had for a few months, raising her from nestling (hand feeding her at first) until she was flying about my apt. I also took her to the rescuer who acclimated her with like-age pigeons so she could learn she was a bird and eventually she was also released with the flock. The other 5 were adult birds that some heinously horrible person had somehow captured, clipped off their wing feathers very short then released.

I hope the picture attaches :)

piggie.jpg

·
Registered
695 Posts
It's a Columbiform (order doves and doves) what you have is a dove and a native species. What is the approximate size of the bird and where are you located?

The dove isn't eating because it is too young to self feed, it should really go to a rehabber.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went to measure the bird and it has passed away. I am sure it was way too stressed by the time I found it. I live in the Mesa AZ area, and it is way hot out today.

As sitting in the picture it would be about 3" to the top of body

Thanks for the help anyway!

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I found this tiny bird today, and to me it looks like it has a pigeon beak, but the bird itself seems so tiny, and reminds me of dove coloration. It was trying to fly, but couldn't get more than an inch or 2 off the ground, so I put it a cage inside and put water and dove seed for it to eat, but so far I don't think it's eaten. The poor thing is probably super stressed as it was well over 100 degrees out when I got it.
Can an expert here tell me is this pigeon or dove?
Thank you!

A little about me.
I know next to nothing about birds, but this winter/spring I rescued 6 dif pigeons. I kept them a few weeks before bringing them to a pigeon rescuer AZWhitefeather gave me contact info for.
The only rehabber I can think of would have been Jody in Peoria. I would suggest giving her a call.
This is a baby and does need the assistance of a rehabber.

Here is her contact info.
Fallen Feathers
Jody Kieran

Peoria, Arizona
623-533-2348
www.fallenfeathers.org

Cindy

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I went to measure the bird and it has passed away.

I am sure it was way too stressed by the time I found it. I live in the Mesa AZ area, and it is way hot out today.

As sitting in the picture it would be about 3" to the top of body

Thanks for the help anyway!
I am so sorry. :(

Yes, it is hotter than blazes here.
If the little one had been outside for any length of time, I'm certain it was completely dehydrated. :(
The lack of 'spunk' in his eyes are a clear indication something was definitely amiss.

Thank you for doing your best to help.

Now knowing your general location, I might have recommended you take your rescues Nancy from East Valley Wildlife in chandler.

Cindy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes it was Nancy - she gave me the # of a lady near Hohokam Stadium who takes in pigeon rescues.

I'm glad this forum exists as today is my first posts, but I have read info and been helped by local posters when I had the pigeons earlier this year, and last fall the nestling. That makes 6 pigeons flying free today who would have been cat dinners had I not been able to help them via this forum and the helpful people here.

I am glad that at least the little bird's last few hours were in the cool & quiet indoors instead of outside roasting and perhaps falling victim to a predator.

I love your signature, every time I read it I choke up a little... speaking of the predators that share the skies here is a picture I took in March of a young Eagle that was attacking a car in our parking lot. I've seen this bird since then, as recently as last week, soaring and circling above the park near me.
http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv59/ubetchyer/young_eagle.jpg

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Sorry to hear you lost him, he must have been too stressed and hot. As you said, it is a blessing he was able to pass in quiet and coolness. Thank you for taking care of him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts