Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some old pigeons in the loft and as they age their feet gets kind of ugly looking nails going one way and curving another way and dry looking as well. I do clip the ends (Oh so little) so they won't bleed because their blood is in their feet a lot and bleeds if you cut too short---so I make it a point not too but my main question is : Are there any nice lotions I could use on my pigeons feet especially with Mr. Al going to the vet on Tuesday. When I go out to my loft I always see one or two with dirty feet and bring them into my kitchen and wash in warm water and epson salts and basically look at their nails at that time---any lotion out there ???? c.hert

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I haven't had to use any lotion on my pigeon's feet, but I have on one of my roosters before. He got in a fight and messed up one of his legs (he's been limping since), so while I was treating him, I put some 'udder butter' on his legs, so that hopefully having them nice and soft would help him feel better and get around a little easier. If there's any scaley mites on their feet, it should help smother them so they go away. My dad's hands are known for getting really dry and cracking open, since he works with them all the time and doesn't put anything on them until they hurt :rolleyes: So he uses it on his hands as well. Clears it up pretty quick!
We find ours at Tractor Supply, by the way :) We don't have any cows, so a small tubs lasts a long time around here, haha.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
I have always used vaseline. It does a pretty good job.

Reti

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
We have to give one of our pigeons a daily "pedicure" and (on vet's advice) are using F10 germicidal barrier ointment, but I think that Bach Rescue Cream which we have used for string injuries would be a good alternative.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I completely forgot about that stuff and its for cows teats I think and yes what a wonderful suggestion and I am going to get stuff as soon as I find it and I am going to start a Wal-greens because it might be a speciality item I remember it being a Wal-greens awhile back or even Whole foods might have it here but I am going to check the minute the roads clear up from the snow....Thanks for the good suggestion and I am going to use it on my hands--great lotion--Thanks MaryOfExeter...c.hert

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh man I hit pay day all these wonderful suggestions---I am going to try out the utter balm first and keep all the other suggesions in my pigeon books---Thanks Everyone c.hert

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I can't make it to the store (because of the snow) I might try the vaseline before I do your suggestion Altgirl35 because of possibly salt content--don-t really know --and I clean their feet with Epson Salts so it might not really matter that much but thanks for the good suggestion...Hope I can get that balm because my hands need it to...c.hert

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Tawhatley--don.t really know what a Dremel is and I'll check it out and sounds very very interesting...Thanks and good for me as well.c.hert

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Also get a Dremel and use the sandpaper attachment on the drum of the tool
Ah, yes!...I have used a Dremel on the toe nails and to trim beaks...when the one I had broke I couldn't replace it so I got one of those battery operated manicure sets, and use the shaping head. That resembles a Dremel and functions in the same way.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
We have a dremel as well, but I've never used it for the birds before. I'll keep that in mind :)

It's basically an electric tool with a disk on top of it, that can either be used for cutting fine lines or sanding. Pretty neat little things :)

·
Registered
857 Posts
One of my best friends is a falconer and I hold his red tail hawk, while he uses a dremel tool to sharpen and shape the beak and talons.
It is called "coping" when done to a bird of prey.
Occasionally I have a pigeon that drags it feet, that develops little balls of poop on the nails.
I place a towel in the bottom of a bucket with just enough warm water to cover the towel and leave the pigeon in it for about an hour.
The poop softens and rubs off on the towel, which also provides traction to keep the pigeon from slipping.
It is much safer then cutting the poop balls or pulling them off, which can remove the outer sheathe of the toe nail.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts