Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of curiosity...i wanted to know that one in how many people keep pigeons as petss...??? I really want to know this..becos most people dont like pigeons...so i want to shut their mouths..Pls help me to know...i tried to google..but dint get the actual answer..:)

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Depends on what you mean by "pets". Do you include those that race them? Those that show them?

There are literally millions of pigeon keepers around the world. Many millions I would imagine.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
It would very be hard to find an actual number...
There are many, many pigeon clubs that pigeon owners belong to. These clubs would each have a member count. But there are hundreds or thousands of them. And some people are members of more than one. (for example, I am in the NPA, the NBRC, and the ADA, as well as the Northeast Avicultural Society)

I'll bet there are even more pigeon owners who don't belong to any pigeon club at all. And some people keep their pigeons in secret, because they don't want any trouble from pigeon-haters.

It would be amazing if all pigeon owners got together and started to tell the world how great pigeons are. It would not take too long to correct their tarnished reputation if everyone would take a stand. But I don't think that will ever happen :(

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wish that could happen to show the whole world what our pigeons really mean to us..but there should be statistics regarding this...

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
Well, one step at a time.

Since I joined PT around 5 years ago, there has been a steady increase in people who find us AND PIGEONS!!

MANY times the initial message is the same: "I found a pigeon, what do I do??" AND, "I never knew how great having a pigeon can be!"

Once these birds feather their way into your heart, you are a pigeon FAN for LIFE!

There will probably always be people, who, for one reason or another, do not like pigeons...however, the LIKES are increasing...one or more pigeons at a time!!

I have "pet" pigeons...that is, those who live inside and are non-releaseable. But, like other "pets" they all have their own personalities.

We have members whose pigeons consider their "human" their mate! I am ONE of those!

The stories that people have posted on this site about their pijies can be eye-opening, heartwarming, but most of all, AWESOME!!

AND, as we become even more of a pigeon "family" site, we also worry, laugh and cry over the stories owners post. And, we CARE what happens when there is a crisis!

Making friends with pigeons AND their owners ALL OVER THE WORLD is an absolutely INCREDIBLE experience! AND, to be fortunate to MEET fellow site members is even BETTER!

Love and Hugs
Shi :) and Mr. Squeaks with Dom/Gimie/WoeBeGone

P.S. So, ah, YES...count me as a "pet" pigeon owner (although who owns WHO, is up for grabs!! Just ask my MR. SQUEAKS!!)

·
Registered
646 Posts
Its difficult to find the numbers especially in India, as we do not have more recognized clubs over here.
But I would say MILLIONS.... for sure

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Its difficult to find the numbers especially in India, as we do not have more recognized clubs over here.
But I would say MILLIONS.... for sure
Also in India pigeon lovers are more concentrated area wise. That is you can find a dog owner, love birds owner every here and there but not a pigeon owner, at the same time in every state there are certain areas where pigeons have been a part for 100 years and more and still continue to be.

Salem, Pollachi, Nilambur, Chennai - Tamilnadu State (I believe Chennai has a pigeon club as they host races between Kolkata, Uttar Pradesh and Chennai)

Calicut, Malappuram, Thrissur, Ernakulam - Kerala State

Guntur, Hyderabad - Andhra Pradesh (Not exactly sure on this)

Amritsar, Chandigarh - Punjab

Mysore, Bangalore - Karnataka State (There are more here but I am yet to get down to the names, Mysore has an established pigeon club and do run races)

Kolkota - West Bengal (more for sure)

Orissa - The only state in India where the police force retained the official messenger pigeons tagged "Pigeon Police" I think the section was shut down in 2006/2008 or close.

Above are the prominent places state wise where vast majority of pigeon breeders and owners are situated but there are still more.

So when you consider the actual population, then the pet owners and then the pigeon owners the numbers will be small. But when you go to the above areas then the ratio should change to a more healthy one.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
In places like the Taj Mahal do they have many pigeons there and I would think No because of the beautiful building--but I don't know--Have you ever seen that Taj Mahal?
c.hert

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Oh yes, Agra is another place in Northern India where pigeons have been always a part, even at the times when Shahjahan built Taj Mahal. I have been there a couple of times and honestly was not looking at the pigeons there :)

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I thought maybe they would so something to the pigeons to keep them away from the beautiful building and I bet thats exciting building--home for his wife--to see?

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Pigeons make great pets :) I don't have any indoor, but outside they seem to love me quite a bit :p LOL. I also have a few ringneck doves, who don't mind being petted or picked up. Which is the complete opposite from when I got them, where they were quite wild and skittish!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts