Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Below is a photograph of my neighbour with a pile of composted pigeon poop at his feet. You can see how rich the resulting soil is in comparison to the allotment earth.

I was doing a little research on pigeons and fertilisers when I came accross a site for Deter a Pigeon ( I think they are San Francisco based). It covered the use of pigeon poop as a fertilizer and I was so impressed by their "21 Amazing facts you didn't know about pigeons" that I have favourited it for information for pigeon trading cards.

http://www.deterapigeon.com/21-amazing-facts-about-pigeons.htm

Cynthia

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Hi Cynthia,
What is the best way to compost pigeon droppings?
I have tried putting the droppings directly in my flowerbeds when I clean the aviary, but there must be a better way.

Anyone have a good recipe for this?

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Thanks for posting that link. I saw it before but forgot to save it in my favorites. It was the first site I thought of when the trading card idea popped up.

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
THANK YOU VERY MUCH, CYNTHIA!!!

That pigeon link has been added to My Favorites!! That link is the best, comprehensive informational one that I've seen!

Definitely has MY VOTE for a STICKY!!

Shi
& Squeaks (who says, "I approve, on behalf of all my species!")

·
Registered
328 Posts
Moon,
I pile them between my kitboxes, mix in a some grass clippings and feathers, pine needles, whatever. Let em sit and water them occasionally. After a few days the flys will go away. I sprinkle a little "Halts" on the pile to keep any seed from germinating also ensuring it is clean when I use it in the garden.
After a few weeks turn it over with a spade monthly. It doesn`t take very long for the worms to get it broken down, smelling and like a really great rich soil. Just dont get in a hurry, it is pretty hot.

I sprinkle the clean scrapings right onto the grass.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the UK everyone has become very green and keen on recycling. The council provided us with composters and I just empty the pigeon droppings into those (I have two) , keep it moist and wait.

Cynthia

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I compost my pigeon droppings using a purpose made compost bin, mix with the days leaves and leave for a few days or weeks and voila, we get fertiliser.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Get a compost bin - looks like a upside down garbage cann with holes. you also can make your own one. depending on your climate you may need to buy some decomposing bacteria to get it started.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I like the sixth one,The religious significance of the pigeon.

I have to feed the pigeons for religious reasons, my neighbor would love that one. I could just imagine telling her I'm feeding pigeons because I don't want to be hungry in my next life. She already thinks I'm crazy. I avoid her as much as possible. :eek:

I vote for a sticky please:D . My desktop and files are a mess.:eek:

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Thanks for bumping this GW.
I have been saving some poo this last year. I have a decent amount and will be using it in the garden.
Does anyone have anymore info on it? It is pretty hot eh? Not good to mix straight into soil, i.e. needs to be composted first right?

I am building a a 8x24' raised bed and like to keep my gardening simple.
I usually use simple things like bone/blood meal fish emulsions ect.
I love organic gardening with these simple fertilizers as it is almost impossible to over do things.

So my main question to whomever is how should I prepare my soil for instant planting using pigeon poo. Is it even possible?
TIA.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have been saving some poo this last year. I have a decent amount and will be using it in the garden.
Does anyone have anymore info on it? It is pretty hot eh? Not good to mix straight into soil, i.e. needs to be composted first right?

I love organic gardening with these simple fertilizers as it is almost impossible to over do things.

So my main question to whomever is how should I prepare my soil for instant planting using pigeon poo. Is it even possible?
TIA.
I let mine dry out, and then actually put it in a coffee mill used for this sole purpose. You can pick one up at a Salvation Army or Goodwill for a dollar or two...... then I blend it into a fine powder. I then mix it with my compost, and it creates a very rich soil.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts

TIA.
I have an area down the back where I mix it in with soil and let it sit for about a year before putting it on the garden, It is quite strong to put striaght on but I guess if you dug it down deep at the back of the garden it could work

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have an area down the back where I mix it in with soil and let it sit for about a year before putting it on the garden, It is quite strong to put striaght on but I guess if you dug it down deep at the back of the garden it could work
yeah, I use a small amount....... for house plants, I merely sprinkle 10-12 pieces into the soil every month.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
As NZ has said it is better to compost it first to mellow it out... we have two horses and what they give us is like black gold!..lol.. the roses and really everything loves manure.. just have to add other things as well so you have a balance.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I've been using my pigeon poo for some years , there are two ways I know how people use it

(1) is to establish a drum where water is added to it ......you allow it to sit there over a week or two , perhaps stirring it on the odd occassion and there you have it ........a liquid fertilizer .

(2) My preferred method .....to prepare the beds or area , then dig the droppings thru the soil .......I water it in over the next week or two . I attribute most of my success in my garden from using pigeon poop .....it's all I use and I swear by it :D

A couple of pics of my garden attached

·
Registered
579 Posts
The white part of droppings is Uric acid and ammonia. In other words pee. It is very strong. It would work well in a methane digester. The only poo that can be used without danger of burning the plants is rabbit dung. I have read about greenhouses that use live rabbits to help provide heat, organic fertilizer, and when the poo is composted high end top soil. One operation even made money selling the worms.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I've been using my pigeon poo for some years , there are two ways I know how people use it

(1) is to establish a drum where water is added to it ......you allow it to sit there over a week or two , perhaps stirring it on the odd occassion and there you have it ........a liquid fertilizer .

(2) My preferred method .....to prepare the beds or area , then dig the droppings thru the soil .......I water it in over the next week or two . I attribute most of my success in my garden from using pigeon poop .....it's all I use and I swear by it :D

A couple of pics of my garden attached
That is lovely!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts