Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this wild pigeon crashed onto some plants in front of my house head-first. Totally came out of nowhere! I thought it was stuck in a plant at first but it was just disoriented, when I went to pick it up, it tried to fly away but crashed back down with it's head to the floor as seen here.

After that it just spun around several times, looking everywhere with it's head constantly tilted and huge eyes. It couldn't even walk straight. I suspected rabies at first, but did some research and found out that birds can't get rabies. So it's most probably PMV.

The stranger thing is that we have ANOTHER pigeon outside which we're taking care of that can't fly. It has constantly drooping wings though, otherwise healthy. Had that one for about a week now.
Any ideas on what to do and how to help? Anything would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Please bring him inside and put him somewhere quiet. If the droppings are bright green, he is probably starving. You can handfeed defrosted green peas. Put one pea deep inside the beak over the tongue for him to swallow. Start with 20 peas and when that gets digested you can feed more. Dip the tip of his beak (not over the nostrils) in a small bowl of water to hydrate him.

An adult pigeon will need 40 to 50 peas 3 times a day. Put seed in a deep dish, they sometimes figure out how to eat by themselves. Water in a small dish.

Let us know how he is doing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts