Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm pretty new to keeping homers and I just noticed this on one of my male birds yesterday. According to an expert I contacted, they think it is Pigeon Pox.

I have only noticed this in one of my birds (maybe two but he has been fighting a bit and looks a little roughed up around his face so I'm not 100% sure on that).

Unfortunately, I am in the process of growing my flock and this male is going to have young hatching today or tomorrow so isolating him I think would certainly spell doom for the chicks.

All of my other birds (except perhaps that one I mentioned) look perfectly fine and I am honestly not sure how long this bird has had this. I just noticed it yesterday but I'm sure he's had it for a while as he's been sitting diligently on his nest during the days and I haven't been bothering him much.

If I isolate him, will the mother abandon the chicks as I expect or am I wrong on that?

Photo attached.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Can you post a closer clear picture of the area, as I am not seeing much, to be honest. Is the bird acting sick at all, not eating, how do his poops look?

If the bird does have pox or is acting sick/not eating, he should be isolated simply because he may be contagious and he would need to be observed more carefully and even hand/force fed if not eating.

If he doesn't have pox or is not sick he does not need to be isolated. The mother will not necessarily give up the babies, but if you have single young male birds in the nesting area, that are fighting, they may hurt the babies or worse, when mom leaves the nest. You should observe closely. Who is he fighting with?

Also, you should not have any single birds in the nesting area, they should all be couples with eggs, with the same mind set, then you don't have issues where there is fighting going on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the closest picture I have. I do have one with more detail but it is 7mb and exceeds the forum limit. I should have posted a comparison with one of my other birds. Basically, the scales around his eyes are just bigger and more swollen like. It doesn't look too bad -- the skin is just more rough looking and looks like warts or something.

As far as I have seen, his behavior is normal and he's eating (saw him with his head in the feeder tray when I fed this morning). I'm not sure about his droppings as I have a grated loft floor where most everything falls through.

Regarding the other bird fighting (not the same bird):
Except for my young of the year birds, I only have 1 unpaired hen right now. For some reason another paired male has been going after one of my other males. I think it may be because the male he is attacking recently paired off with one of my remaining unpaired hens. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me why he's been chasing this other male because both are now paired. Strangely, the one doing the attacking has been paired for months and still no eggs. He has a spot with a hen on the top of my nest boxes but he doesn't build a nest for his hen.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I see the area you are talking about now, but it looks like the area is irritated and swollen, that may be due to the fighting.

We need some other members to respond. I myself would apply a drop of nano/colloidal silver as that will sooth it and it absolutely will not harm the eye.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts