Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my first post.

I have baby pigeon which is about 4-5 weeks old. He was born in my backyard.
He has got sores all over his beak, eyes and toes. I am assuming it happened maybe because there are lots of mosquitoes there. I see no sign of canker in his mouth. But today while he was finding it hard to pickup rice seeds, i tried feeding it but for my bad i accidentally pushed too hard on one of the sores on his beak and it started bleeding. So i'm confused if it is a pigeon pox or something else, i feel that sores in pigeon pox don't bleed? It has been about 3 weeks but these sores dont go away.. I'm currently keeping him indoors. Please guide me..

Thanks in advance!

http://i.imgur.com/8xh0Q4t.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/4Dsuony.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/sIC4AK6.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/nxtUkrL.jpg

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Yes, that is pigeonpox. The lesions will eventually dry up and fall off within a few weeks. Unfortunately because their immune systems are down when they have pox, they might have other diseases going on as well.

Can you get frozen peas and apple cider vinegar? Does he drink on his own? Peas are the best to feed, about 30 peas 3 times daily. Type "peas" in the search section of this forum and lots of posts will come up explaining how to feed the bird. The apple cider vinegar will also do him good, add about 5 ml to 1 liter drinking water every day. If he have a yeast infection, the ACV will help. Dip the tip of his beak in a bowl of water (but not over the nostrils) to get him to start drinking.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
If you need to feed peas to a pigeon, hold the bird on your lap and against your body. This gives you more control. Reach from behind his head with one hand and grasp his beak on either side. Now use your free hand to open the beak, and put a pea in, then push it to the back of his throat and over his tongue. Let him close his beak and swallow. Then do another. It gets easier with practice, and the bird also gets more used to it, and won't fight as much. If you can't handle the bird, then use the sleeve cut off a t-shirt, slip it over his head and onto his body, with his head sticking out. This will stop him from being able to fight you so much. Just don't make it tight around his crop area. It helps if you have him facing your right side if you are right handed.

Feed him about 30 peas three times a day. Wait to feed again, until the crop empties. Please don't give him rice or other seeds until he can drink. He will need water with these things, and putting water in his mouth is dangerous as you can easily aspirate him. Gently dip his beak into a small crock of water, but not over the nostrils. Do this several times daily and eventually he will learn.
Be sure to wash your hands very well after handling him.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Fortunately i already have apple cider vinegar and frozen peas. Earlier, I was feeding him peas by hand but he wouldn't peck at them himself so i gave him rice seeds and he pecks them well, so thats what i feed him now.. I'm gonna try feeding him peas again but it would be hard for me to open his beak as it is covered in lesions now. Yes, he drinks water by himself.

Thanks alot for the replies!

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
You will struggle the first couple of times but it will become easier. If he spits out the pea, you're not putting it deep enough in his mouth. He will eventually start pecking the peas from your fingers after a couple of days. Why don't you get him a good seedmix? If he's eating on his own, just so much better.

Let us know how he's doing.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
That poor youngster. I have never seen pox like that.

Rice is a terrible substitute for a good seed mix. He needs extra nutrition during this time when he is fighting off the pox virus. If you do feed peas, he will need a good calcium D3 supplement also.

There are supportive measures you can take to shorten the duration of pox: http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f5/homeopathic-treatment-for-pigeon-pox-31018.html

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
As others have said, he needs more than rice. I know it seems easier if he will eat the rice by himself, and I understand how hard it is to open a beak so covered with pox. You really do have a dilemma. But he needs to fight the virus, and needs all the nutrition he can get, and rice really doesn't have much nutrition.
I feel so bad for this poor baby.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'm really sorry, but it couldn't make it.

I fed him about 20 peas at about 10 am, and he drank some water (with some apple cider vinegar in it). Later i fed him the same combo at about 2 pm because i had a class from 2:30 to 7:00. He seemed okay but when i came back home at 7:30 i found him lying on the ground covered with ants. I'm sorry please, i failed you guys. RIP. I think i noticed about his sores too late.. i didn't knew pigeons could get pox too, so neither could i act immediately after i noticed those sores. My parents thought it was okay to feed him with just rice seeds even though i tried convincing them that it would puff him up cause he is gonna increase its water intake but they thought i was speaking rubbish because they compared his stomach with our human stomach. I dont know if parent pigeons know about it or not because its dark here and they go somewhere else to roost.

I'm sorry again. Rest in Peace.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Sad, but please don't feel guilty. You did not do anything wrong. Last month I lost 3 wild youngsters also with severe pox like yours. Nothing I did seemed to help them. I think when they have severe pox like that, they also have a lot of other things wrong which is what kills them in the end. Even if you find him sooner, might not have helped.

Thanks for trying to help.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
The rice didn't puff him up. It just didn't give him much either. He had it pretty bad, and maybe inside. Poor little thing. Sorry you lost him.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts