Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Beautiful! I wish I could get old stuff like that. I've seen a lot of ebay but we don't buy stuff from there anymore (no paypal, which is what most people require) :(

I have some "dove" figurines but they are new. The best pigeon art I have is what I made myself, haha :p

I do have some old books though, like The Pigeon (it's about to fall apart I think), and two thin books by Heitzman on the Sion and Stassart strains.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I have a few pieces.. but that is enough.. if you let out that you like pigeon or dove nic-nacs everyone will give you one for xmas and birthdays..and then all you get are more of them and then you need a whole cabinet to just keep them in.. it can get crazy if you let that kind of info out..lol.. know a lady that just mentioned she liked mermaids.. now she has a hutch full!..she said I do not even collect them,.. everyone thinks she does though..lol.. she had to tell folks no more mermaids..lol..

·
Registered
816 Posts
Figurines are common place in the magazine i subscribe to and to be honest some of them are very life like but i agree one or two would be enough.Havnt seen one quite like the one in the picture before.It looks as though it has some age to it.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I have a few pieces.. but that is enough.. if you let out that you like pigeon or dove nic-nacs everyone will give you one for xmas and birthdays..and then all you get are more of them and then you need a whole cabinet to just keep them in.. it can get crazy if you let that kind of info out..lol.. know a lady that just mentioned she liked mermaids.. now she has a hutch full!..she said I do not even collect them,.. everyone thinks she does though..lol.. she had to tell folks no more mermaids..lol..
LOL. I know what you mean!
I don't tell people though, cause I know that would happen (no one ever knows what to get me for Christmas/b-day). I would like REAL pigeon breed figurines though. I have a lot of your typical white doves.

Have you ever seen the guy with the pigeon museum in his basement? I believe he lives in Germany. He has a whole pyramid of pigeon statues like romanallover posted, with the Rock Dove at the top. It's pretty cool! Of course it is no where near showing the full pyramid of breeds, but it shows a lot of the most popular/unique ones.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Pigeon Art

I to would like to locate some Figurines, but haven't seen that looked decent. As far as pigeon art ,other than Becky, the best I've seen is by Gary Romig.
Just google his name. Regards Vivagirl

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I to would like to locate some Figurines, but haven't seen that looked decent. As far as pigeon art ,other than Becky, the best I've seen is by Gary Romig.
Just google his name. Regards Vivagirl
His art is great! Diane Jacky is also really good. I wish I could paint as well as them!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
its good to know I am not the only one, some good advice about telling people you like em tough :) I've never actually went out looking for things like that it was more of a conviniece and that figure to me doesnt exactly look like a pigeon except the 3front 1back toes, I am working on getting that National Geographic 1926 issue that is all about pigeons and then I'll see from there.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm always pilfering thru antique shops looking for old useable cast iron cookware and old butcher knives (hint hint).

Occassionally I find some ceramic or porcelin pigeon...and I usually buy it. Almost all the ones I can find are of fantails, though, so I got a few of them. I feel funny buying them, cause between overalls and lots of tattoos, I dont look like the kind of guy who would buy pigeon figurines!

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Ms. Becky,
You are equally as talented as the two artists you mentioned. Every ones style is their own, and I cherish the wood burning you did for me.
Daryl

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I'm always pilfering thru antique shops looking for old useable cast iron cookware and old butcher knives (hint hint).

Occassionally I find some ceramic or porcelin pigeon...and I usually buy it. Almost all the ones I can find are of fantails, though, so I got a few of them. I feel funny buying them, cause between overalls and lots of tattoos, I dont look like the kind of guy who would buy pigeon figurines!
LOL. Pigeon fanciers come in as many varieties as their birds do :)
I have a couple statues (a little big to call a figurine, haha) that remind me a bit of Oriental rollers.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I've been keeping my eyes open for Pigeon figurines (sp) but all I see anywheres are the small Dove cake decorations type things.
My wife collects chicken, and rooster, and has been very sucessful.
As for me, SOL so far.
That's a very nice item that you have there! :D (meaning romanallovers Pigeon! )
I certainly would put it in a much safer place than that!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Thank you,

Becky if you want some regular modenas let me know I have about 9 or 10 for sale. The main color I breed is magnani (almond) , I think I'm going to post them on the for sale section here.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts