Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found an injured pigeon downtown Portland today. It's now temporarily in a safe environment with food/water, but can't stay here. Called Audubon Society, but they don't take in pigeons. Is there a rescue group in Portland?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Shame on the Audubon Society

Shame on the Audubon Society- like that pigeon's life is any less precious to it because it's a pigeon?!

And bless YOUR heart for helping it.

The Resources page will have good info for you. In San Francisco, WildCare would help- maybe check with them to see if they have any affiliates? www.wildcarebayarea.org

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Found an injured pigeon downtown Portland today. It's now temporarily in a safe environment with food/water, but can't stay here. Called Audubon Society, but they don't take in pigeons. Is there a rescue group in Portland?
We actually have a member in Portland but it doesn't appear that she's on line right now. I'm sure she will be here at some point. She's in and out all day. Can you describe what sort of injuries the bird has? I'll send a PM to the member I mentioned and see if i can get in touch with her.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Elizabeth. I've just emailed SanFran to see what resources they may know of in Portland. Audubon's only solution was to take a look at the bird, who we've now named Phyllis, and see if she needs to be euthanized. Guess that would be better than leaving her to die a dreadful death on the street. But, my (uneducated-about-pigeons) opinion is that her leg just has a minor injury and she'll be able to fly again if somebody knows how to repair it or care for her until she heals.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She can fully extend her wings so our best guess is that one of her legs is injured in some way. She's very alert, has eaten some cracker crumbs, but hasn't accepted any water yet.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Thanks, Elizabeth. I've just emailed SanFran to see what resources they may know of in Portland. Audubon's only solution was to take a look at the bird, who we've now named Phyllis, and see if she needs to be euthanized. Guess that would be better than leaving her to die a dreadful death on the street. But, my (uneducated-about-pigeons) opinion is that her leg just has a minor injury and she'll be able to fly again if somebody knows how to repair it or care for her until she heals.
Please don't do anything that drastic. Can you hold on to the bird for a day or so? I'm sure that we can get you some help, but it might not be immediate. Most places that are NOT pigeon friendly, will just put the bird down and that's totally uncalled for in most cases.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Here's another great resource for finding help in your local area (you're going to have more help than you know what to do with!)

[email protected]

You can post a message to the group if you are not a member to [email protected] and we will respond ASAP although it would be better if you are able to complete the preformatted form at 911 Pigeon Alert Contact.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Here I am...feel free to call me and I'll pick up the pigeon.

Reactions: little bird

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was VERY easy to pick her up - no resistance - but we are trying not to handle her any more than necessary. We should be able to maintain basic care for a day or so until help arrives to give her proper care. Euthanization would definitely only be a last resort. In the meantime, I'll fill out the 911 form.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just spoke with Charis and she'll be by shortly to rescue Phyllis - YEA!! Thank you all for your quick responses and your kindess toward wildlife. It does my heart good to know there are so many others who care.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Charis has already stopped by and picked up our little charge. She said it's a baby - don't remember if she said three weeks or three months old. Never would've guessed that 'cause it looks pretty big to me, but, Charis knows pigeons way better than I do. So, the baby will be checked out by her vet and, hopefully, will enjoy a normal lifespan. Thanks again to all of you for your help! Now I'd better get to work or someone will need to rescue me from my boss - LOL!

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Charis has already stopped by and picked up our little charge. She said it's a baby - don't remember if she said three weeks or three months old. Never would've guessed that 'cause it looks pretty big to me, but, Charis knows pigeons way better than I do. So, the baby will be checked out by her vet and, hopefully, will enjoy a normal lifespan. Thanks again to all of you for your help! Now I'd better get to work or someone will need to rescue me from my boss - LOL!
I suspect if she used the word "baby" it's 3 weeks. She'll fill us in after while I'm sure. I'm so glad she got on line and the two of you connected. Right after my last post, I had to go rather suddenly and was a little worried. All's well that ends well. Thanks again for all you did. Another little life saved.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I have the bird. It's an adorable squeaker with a touch of Archangel.
I was out looking for a tux for my son's prom this afternoon and given this guy/gal has some fancy, I'm going to name him/her Tux or Ms. Tux if need be.:)
Tux had fallen from quite a distance and can't stand on one foot. I don't feel any swelling and Tux can move the toes on the injured foot. Still, I think an x-ray is in order but all avian vets are away this week.:(
This bird is a keeper. Any takers?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
About 4 weeksold.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
1 - 20 of 38 Posts