Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am brand new to pigeons. I bought two adult pairs. One pair shakes their head a lot and will lift up one foot and shake it. That is the white and brown pair. the other dark pair shakes their heads some. Mites? or possible a known behavior?

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
Our squeaker always shakes his wings at me when he first sees me. He also stands on one foot. Vet said he is fine, but we treated him for having coccidia, although a low level per the vet. Think it is probably behavioral.

·
Registered
317 Posts
What breed are your birds?Some breeds naturaly shake thers heads.I've owned a couple of breeds myself .Zitterhalls some of the little fantails and so on.

·
Registered
297 Posts
You should be able to see mites/lice on the bird. That would be my guess. Mites are almost microscopic, but you can see them. Lice are easy to see.

Terry
I know there are some feather mites that burrow in the feather shaft, so that is one kind of mite you can't see. you can treat it with ivermectin. oral administration is best. but yeah, most of the time other parasites are easy to spot and get rid of.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I am brand new to pigeons. I bought two adult pairs. One pair shakes their head a lot and will lift up one foot and shake it. That is the white and brown pair. the other dark pair shakes their heads some. Mites? or possible a known behavior?
best thing to do would be to treat for parasites, ivermectin for internal and organic feeding material (blood, etc). that is great for worms - biting mites or burrowing feather mites. those you can't see because they are in the actual feather shaft. you could give him a dip that treats most bugs, permethrin mix is what most use. that way if they still do what they are doing you know it is a personality trait. my birds do that, stand on one leg and shake their wings when they get excited (I have 2 in the house, so that is quite often) but I don't know about the head shaking. I would treat for the bugs though. they can be a serious problem real fast.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the Ivermectin and Permethrin dosages found on this site? These are king pigeons. One is sitting on an egg already so I might wait on treating her - she does not show signs like the white ones. I an also concerned about fire ants - get rid of any i see in the flight pen.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hello omega ridge,
Welcome to PT:)
Its always better to use specific meds but if you wanna deworm your birds generally which one should, once every six months, then select a dewormer that is safe for pigeons and take care of all types of worms pigeons might have. Moxidectin Plus is the dewormer you would want. Its available on pigeon supply places. Google it.
For external parasites, buy carbryl or permethrin dust or spray. Dust/spray the birds below necks and all parasites fall off within 15-20 mins. Also spray your loft with permethrin spray because parasites hide in cracks, crevices etc in day and come out at night to prey on pigeons. Those hidden ones need to be taken care of.

When ever you deworm/dust/spray a bird, do all the birds at the same time and cleaning the loft after that goes without saying

·
Registered
25 Posts
I got king pigeons recently myself and noticed the female would shake their body when I am near the cage. I did a search of this site and it appears to be normal. They would stop if I stepped away and continue doing what ever they did. The males never shake....some head bobbling and grunts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Is the Ivermectin and Permethrin dosages found on this site? These are king pigeons. One is sitting on an egg already so I might wait on treating her - she does not show signs like the white ones. I an also concerned about fire ants - get rid of any i see in the flight pen.
I use Ivomec (that is the ivermectin) that treats the worms and internal parasites as well as parasites that feed on your birds. this also works well for many kinds of mites. you can find the dosing information on the bottle. I got it from the vet, and see as how my birds were hand fed, I was able to give it a bit differently. I used a dropper, 2 drops in the mouth per bird. repeat in 2 weeks, to make sure you get everything. I am big on prevention, and I tend to be a bit OCD, so I do this (well I plan to do this, my birds are only 6 months old) once a year, even though my kids don't go outside and are not exposed to other birds. as far as permethrin I was told to use 1 tablespoon per 1 gallon of warm water as a dip. same principle would apply to make a spray. you can get permethrin online or at any farm supply store, same as the Ivomec. be careful about the ants, they can kill new hatchlings. do some research and see what you think will work best for you. this is what I do, but I do not know of this is what will work best for you. I agree you might wait until your birds are done hatching and the babies are eating on their own, but if you see the parents out of the area you have them in, and you feel the threat about the ants is great, I would personally spray around with the permethrin. you don't have to drown the area, just mist it a bit. permethrin has a great ability to deter those pests for up to 28 days. again, up to you, this is just a thought, an option to consider.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you!

Thanks y'all I am informed now and will spray with permethrin 13.3% both the cage and the birds. I'll start with that then move on to the Ivermectin. Since I am new with pigeons I am also new at handling them. Previous owner just kinda grabbed at them - will have to practice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts