Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had two pigeons which had one child. A few weeks ago I found out that it is a female. (She and her father did that beak to beak thing (kissing) ) His father only did it to get rid of her because she was troubling him. Then after that he was avoiding her and being with his wife i.e. this child's mother. She became very lonely and also heart broken so i wanted to get a male for her.I insisted my mother a lot who didn't want the population to increase, finally she agreed that I can get a pigeon for her. So the question is how do I identify a male at one shot , I have to at least observe him for a day to figure out if its a male or a female. Do you guys have any tricks to find out if a pigeon is male or a female at once by only looking at it. I know that they are a little bigger in size and also aggressive but i have even had such females. So please suggest me something by which i can identify a male at once.
-Rubeena

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hey rasheed.rubeena, long time! Whr ve u been?
Alright... Congrats for a new baby and congrats in advance for her soon to come mate.
U can simply ask the guy out from whom U're buying ur bird if u know him personally.
Size isn't a guarantee that bigger one is the male.
Males have shorter and thicker beaks. Open their beaks,their throats are also wide and round than females. They have thicker napes. Their foreheads are also little squarish than females. I know females sometimes act as cocks but not all. Cooing,struting,charging with tail dragging,making complete 360•circles are somethings that r peculiar to males.
But still a person can get fooled at first or sometimes. Certain way is observing their behaviour or see them doing "that".

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks. I didn't have anything to post and also i have my exams and UTs going on. You can't trust the shopkeepers! I bought 10 pigeons and every time their gender was wrong. First I asked them to give me a pair they gave me 2 males then i again asked for a pair and they gave me 2 females. Yet again I asked them to give me a pair and they gave 2 males. For these two males I asked for 2 females and they gave 2 males. Again I asked for a pair and they gave me 2 males.
-Rubeena

·
Registered
745 Posts
Hei, Congratulations for the little young hen that she became mature, If you know a friend that breeds pigeons, talk to him and he'll sell you a proved male. Or shopkeepers will sell you anything except if you know them personally!
sexing pigeons is sometimes hard, some breeds are harder to sex than other breeds, so It depends. and not all the tricks are accurate however when you show a hen to an aroused cock he will inflate himself and coo and strut and pick her gently there is alot of things they generaly do but you can't say for sure from the very first time!

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Rubeena,didn't u go back to that guy and complaint about giving u what u didn't need. (Go, talk to him and give him a little gift from my side- a punch in his face-kidding).
Hens never make a complete 360•rotation,only cocks do that. In my first reply I said "if u know him personally". I've heard that there are lot of breeders in hyderabad.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hei, Congratulations for the little young hen that she became mature, If you know a friend that breeds pigeons, talk to him and he'll sell you a proved male. Or shopkeepers will sell you anything except if you know them personally!
sexing pigeons is sometimes hard, some breeds are harder to sex than other breeds, so It depends. and not all the tricks are accurate however when you show a hen to an aroused cock he will inflate himself and coo and strut and pick her gently there is alot of things they generaly do but you can't say for sure from the very first time!
ty :) .Unfortunately there is no one I know who sells pigeons. I knew a person before but he sold all his pigeons now. :(
-Rubeena

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rubeena,didn't u go back to that guy and complaint about giving u what u didn't need. (Go, talk to him and give him a little gift from my side- a punch in his face-kidding).
Hens never make a complete 360•rotation,only cocks do that. In my first reply I said "if u know him personally". I've heard that there are lot of breeders in hyderabad.
I wasn't very experienced with pigeons back then so i got to know their gender after staying with them for weeks. Also he did say that if the gender is not right I could return them back to him but returning them to that condition after keeping them in my home for so long even after they have made it their home would be very cruel so I didn't do anything about it.
-Rubeena

1 - 7 of 7 Posts