Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys so i have a west of england tumbler pigeon that is my pet and he has been showing symptoms for a week now he has been pooping this weird really light greenish poop and today in the morning he pooped 2 large worms I don’t know what is wrong with him and if i should touch him. please help me asap.
Thanks.
Brown Wood Font Recipe Paper

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
That looks like some type of roundworm. Some worms cause damage to the linings along the digestive tract which causes pain and digestive problems which then lead to malnutrition. In some cases worms also change the intestinal environment in a way which favors certain types of bacteria, which then leads to infection and additional illness. It's serious and you should treat the bird as soon as possible.

There are a variety of natural remedies which kill or repel worms, and which are safe for pigeons to eat, such as fennel seed, flaxseed, black seed, caraway seed, thyme, holy basil, garlic, ginger, turmeric, carrot, pineapple, and papaya.

Turmeric also helps to repair intestinal lining damage caused by worms.

There are even more naturally antibacterial foods and drink additives which will help the bird's immune system to control bacterial infections that arise because of the presence of the worms. Raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar in drinking water is a good one -- 1/4 teaspoon per cup of water, given every other day at most and normally only twice per week.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for your quick response. I also have another question about the treatment and recovery period of the pigeon, if I feed my pigeon the stuff you mentioned how long would it take for my pigeon to recover? And how do i know that i got rid off of the bacteria and the worms?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
As the adult worms are expelled, they will be visible in the droppings. When you don't see any more, there is still a period of time which varies in length depending on the specific type of worms, during which internal worm eggs could still hatch. With the natural remedies though, they can be incorporated into the bird's normal diet as a permanent addition to not only deworm the bird now, but to prevent any further infestation. Each different type of the plants produce their own chemicals or compunds to protect the plant from worms. Each of those chemicals acts to protect against worms in different ways. As an example, fennel seed doesn't harm some types of adult worms, but rather it causes the worms' eggs to become deformed and unviable so that they never hatch. Pigeons like fennel seed and it is safe to feed to them as part of their normal diet. So if your bird were to ingest worm eggs on some contaminated treat for instance, then inclusion of fennel and the other natural antiparasitics / anthelmintics in the bird's normal diet would give a protective effect all the time.

In other words, since you probably don't know how the worms got into the bird in the first place, merely deworming once won't guarantee that the bird won't be exposed to them again. The ongoing dietary additions of natural de-worming foods would protect the bird from a re-infestation regardless of the source.

Regarding bacteria, many are always present in all of us and birds too. They are usually managed by the bird's immune system and only become a health threat when some other cause -- such as worms or malnutrition, results in the immune system being compromised or over-burdened. When the bird is healthy and happy, and without symptoms of illness, then he is well.

EDIT: Oh, and avian / bird probiotics would also be helpful, or even just a tiny bit of yogurt with "live cultures" added to the food once in awhile. Mix it with the seeds to coat them.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Not bad overall. No sign of more adult worms, nor diarrhea. Judging from the fluid stains on the paper, there is some polyuria (too much liquid urine) but that by itself doesn't indicate any health problem, especially if the weather is warm. The color range is a bit odd unless he is eating different mixes of foods routinely. Has he had any probiotics or a bit of yogurt? That might help to stabilize the results of his digestion.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello, So he has been doing really well so far I haven’t seen any more worm’s in his droppings, But he has been pooping alot lately and his droppings are 5x bigger then they were before on an empty stomach, And his breath smells like he is sick.
Wood Font Tints and shades Office equipment Handwriting

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
You will need to get metronidazole, Spartrix or ronidazole for treatment. If you have a petshop nearby that sells aquarium goods, get Fishzole. That is the same as metronidazole. How much does he weigh? Dosage for metro is 10 mg per 100 gr birdweight once a day for 7 to 10 days.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good morning. I received his medication in the mail today, but I haven't yet added it to the water. Today, he is showing a new symptom. He used to pick up seeds and peck at my fingers really well, but now he can't even pick them up. it appears that his beak is too weak. Please let me know what this symptom is and how I can treat it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts