Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a very large loft that I decided was too big for just having four birds. So I built, in my eyes, a much better loft but it's dimensions are 4' wide x 4' long x 6' tall. Obviously it's square footage is 16 feet but I was wondering if I do decide to expand my flock what would be the maximum amount of birds I could keep safely and with good health in there? I heard it is one bird per 2 sq feet but can more be kept in the loft since it is 6 foot tall with multiple levels of perches?

Thanks

·
Registered
540 Posts
Also depends on what breed of pigeons You will have, some require more space then so called standard of two square feet per bird. Some breeds of pigeons even that they are an average size, they are very territorial. I know some fanciers that use three square feet as their minimum per racer and nine square feet for breeders. Forty birds per section maximum. Six feet high is good it helps the birds stay withing reach, depending on Your height and reach, some use trellis as ceilings, with higher roof line it helps cooler air stay around birds and the hot air stays up top before going up in to the vent.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I started a new thread to figure out what breed my pigeons are so maybe that info can help on my decision.

I have four now but plan on getting one more breeding pair this week which wont hit the suggested 2 birds per square feet but it will probably quickly become an issue as soon as they all start breeding.

I still have the other larger cage so I'll probably just end up using it for young birds and my new loft for the 3 pairs of breeders.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also don't know if this counts towards the square footage total but the new loft also has a 2' x 2' pen attached to it so they can get some extra sun but barely use it for some reason.

·
Registered
795 Posts
The more Room, The Better! :D
Have you checked out the Loft Designs Section? Lot's of Ideas there!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I would not put anymore than 8 birds max in a 4x4, now Im wondering if you may want to expand and have more birds..why did you get rid of the bigger loft and build a smaller?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts