Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All,

Further to my other thread about Percy, I realise that he needs some more permanent accommodation than a little cardboard box in my out-building. I'd like some advice as to what they need. I don't even know how they nest in the wild.

From the way he behaves, I see that he likes to 'perch' and look out of the little window.

One idea I have is to let him use an old shed that my friend has (and erect it in my garden). The idea being that we can put some horizontal wooden bars/poles up for him to perch on, and that he can have full use of this.

A related question I have is whether there is any prospect for release (Percy hasn't lived in the wild since wed 23rd december) or whether I should be preparing some kind of permanent covered accommodation for him? I'm aware of course that all the eating he has done for the past few weeks has been food that I have given him.

Please note that a cage inside our home isn't possible (my wife is being very strict about this) so a shed is the best I can offer him. I realise that others on here have an aviary/cage inside their home, and that these work well for you.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
A shed would be nice for him as long as he is safe from predators and it doesn't get too cold. You would need to spend some time with him each day so he doesn't get too bored. Or you get him a friend.
Does the shed have windows? How big is it?

Reti

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
6 feet by 4 feet, yes there is a window. We think he has PMV, so I don't think he can have a friend yet.

You say spend time with him - what can I do to help him, and how long for each day? Again, I'm happy to do whatever is reasonably necessary, but would appreciate some tips.

·
Registered
29,796 Posts
Pigeons prefer to perch on a flat surface. A flat board, like a 2X4 turned with flat side down, rather than a pole or round perch, where they have to grab on constantly. Or a shelf. And if it is cold, they can lay over their feet to keep them warm on a flat board. If he has PMV, it is likely that he may not be able to eat on his own, and would need to be hand fed. That would be time spent with him. If he is PMV, than no he wouldn't be able to have a friend for a while yet. If you could run an electrical cord to the shed, and use a heat lamp, or even safer and better, A reptile 250 watt heat emitter, that warms a section of the shed where he could perch. The reptile heaters don't tend to shatter as sometimes the heat lamps do. Not that much to run, and it would give the shed some warmth. If the water freezes, then it would need to be changed probably at least a couple of times a day. They do have heaters that go under waterers to keep them from freezing. Some people use dogs water dishes that you can plug in, and they don't freeze, but with a PMV pigeon, if the dish is large enough to fall into, then he could drown. His coordination won't be sufficient to enable him to get out. Pigeons with PMV have drowned in large water dishes. It should be deep enough, be not large in diameter where he could fall in. If you're handy, you can rig something up like a box with a light bulb that goes under the water. Does the shed have a floor? He may not be able to get up to a perch, but shouldn't be on the cold ground. There are lots of things you can do to make it better for him, but a lot depends on if it IS PMV, and how much the bird will be affected by it. What he will be able to do. If he can't get up on a perch, maybe a low perch that you can make by putting down two bricks, with a board running between them. Kinda have to wing it as you go along, to see what he may need in the way of help. Keeping him in a good sized box or cage in the shed may be safer for him. Hard to say without knowing what he can and cannot do.

·
Registered
115 Posts
6ftx4ft sounds like you've got a lil more room for a couple of more there as it never really stops at 1 :D yet to c pics of your shed but if you can remove the window and create a suspended flight keep browsing and you will see what others have done. And just remember to train before you release

·
Registered
29,796 Posts
James, are you planning on keeping him? If so, then later on you could get him a friend. That would be nice. And they'd have a nice little room in your garden. You could add a little aviary onto it.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Hi James,
What makes you think he has PMV? Is he showing any symptoms?
I would use probiotics and vitamins in his drinking water, spend at least 30 minutes a day with him talking to him and taming him. Make sure he is eating enough (count poops per day).
If he has seizures, like trashing around, maybe it is better to keep him in something smaller for now (I use big plastic baskets and transparent containers) because they can get hurt when they loose balance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
James, are you planning on keeping him? If so, then later on you could get him a friend. That would be nice. And they'd have a nice little room in your garden. You could add a little aviary onto it.
Thanks to all for their comments on here. Percy passed away yesterday (see my other thread). I will however bear all the above in mind, should I ever rescue another little bird and look after it.

·
Registered
29,796 Posts
Oh, I'm truly sorry that he passed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts