Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

A couple have just handed me a pigeon that looks in good health apart from the fact that it can't fly - they found it in their garden. There is nothing obviously wrong with him, but to be honest I have just left him alone in a cardboard box for now as I didn't want to stress him out. He's very beautiful! feathers are all perfect, he's bright eyed and alert.

Should I leave him to settle and then give him an examination to see if I can find less obvious injuries? Or check him over now? He could just be concussed but I don't know when I should try to see if he can fly again?

I don't know why they gave him to me, I do have a lot of animals, although no birds, especially not caring for wild ones! I thought I'd ask you guys on here as one comment I got from someone I know was to "put him out of his misery" but a life is a life!

Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Please don't "put him out of his misery". He probably just needs a little help. I'd check him over and see if I could find anything obviously wrong. Any chance of posting a picture? Could you tell me where you're located? Keep him in a warm place.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I picked up a rescue once, and he too wasn't flying, but walking around the neighborhood. The poor thing was simply starving to death, as it had escaped from somebody"s loft, and just didn't know where to find food. When I lifted him, he weighed like a feather. He's healthy and strong now, and just fathered a beautiful pair of babies.

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Hi

Since you refer to him having been found in a 'garden', are you in the UK? If so, roughly where - there may just possibly be someone or a rescue place which would take pigeons, in the area.

Would this be a woodpigeon or a feral pigeon? That would help to give us a better idea of the situation. Also, feral pigeons tend to be the least stressed when handled for examination.

Sometimes, pigeons are found which, though appearing quite well grown, are not quite at the flying stage. Young woodpigeons (and collared doves) particularly, as they are more likely to be found in gardens, may also have been attacked by cats or another predator.

I would certainly examine him for any exterior injuries, or noticeable loss of feathers. If he seems to have tail;feathers missing or feathers missing from the back he could have been caught by something. Also check for any wounds, including puncture wounds, under the wings as well as obvious places.

Once we know what kind of pigeon, then we may also be able to estimate his age, and to offer further checks you can make plus ongoing care.

John

·
Registered
7 Posts
still can't see anything majorly wrong, he's in a very small cage I know, it's only a temporary measure. I put in a bit of wood to act as a perch and he's managed to get on that.

He's a feral pigeon, he didn't seem to bothered about me poking around with a camera, and I managed to get a good examination of him.

I am in the UK yes - Cumbria, I'll have a look on the 'net to see if I can find any pigeon rescues! He doesn't have any rings on him.

I've finally worked out how to add pics!! That's cat litter on the bottom, so he doesn't slip and to soak up any poos!

Attachments

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
He's a pretty bird. Have you tried rehydrating him?

* International Rehydrating Solution:
To a cup of warm, or room temperature, water add a pinch of salt & sugar, mix well. Use this solution to rehydrate by mouth.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Thank you so much for taking in this pigeon. Please do not "Put him out of his misery", I am sure there will be members that will help with this birds recovery.

Please remove the Kitty Litter from his cage!!!!! There are chemicals in the Kitty Litter that are harmful to birds. You can use plain old newspaper for a bottom liner if you wish.

Thanks for caring about his life.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Oh I will do, I didn't know that about the litter, this is why I'm here on this forum, I want to save his life not hinder it!!

Right, upon further inspection I've found a little scab underneath each of his wings, does this suggest cat attack? And should he be put on antibiotics? Is there anythig I can do for him? The wounds look old yet he looks in very fine health

I've also spoken to my local rescue, they are too full as a load of budgies and parrots came in yesterday! they suggested taking him to the vet, should I do that? what if they take him in but then put him to sleep?

·
Registered
911 Posts
We have a very experienced member in the UK.......Cyro51 is her User ID. Her name is Cynthia and she knows about all the rescue organizations in the UK. She also is very experienced with rehabbing injured bird and I am sure she will be able to advise you what would be the best next thing for you to do.

I am going to send her a private message to bring her attention to your situation. Hopefully she will be on line soon and will be able to assist you.

Again, thank you so much for taking in this bird and giving him your care.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
You could take him to a vet to be examined, but don't hand him over and if euthanasia is suggested ask why then come back and discuss it with us. Unfortunately the UK today has little compassion for so called "pest" species.

Whatever you do don't take him to the RSPCA!

This thread covers what to look for when you examine a pigeon.

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=5913&referrerid=560

It may develop additional symptoms, let us know if and when he does.

Cynthia

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you all for your advice! I must say I think I have the same opinion as you on the RSPCA! I'll report back if anything changes with the little guy, and let you know what the vet says :eek:)

I've dug out my old but trusty St. Tiggywinkles wildlife care handbook to see if Les can give me any more advice!

·
Registered
760 Posts
If his wings seem OK, you might check the keel - just run your finger down the length of it and make sure that you can't feel any breaks.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Also when examining and feeling the keel.........if it seems too prominent.......almost like some type of blade.......it would be an indication of starvation.......and that could explain the reason why he is unable to fly. If this is the case.......he will need to be hydrated first and then offered seed in small amounts at first. If he appears to be so under nourished to prevent him from flying you might want to supplement his food with some hand feedings of bird formula.

Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The keel seems fine, its not prominent, and he's also manged to drink a little bit too.

I'm concerned I've agrivated the wounds under his wings, this is the 3rd time I've held him and looked at him, and there was a bit of blood this time, not huge amounts, but as though the top of the scab has come off. The last thing I want to do is injure or hurt him more!

I've just been reading about what happens with pigeons that have been attacked by cats...I sure hope he pulls through - I also understand that birds can go downhill rapidly, so I've got my fingers crossed for him!

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
I've dug out my old but trusty St. Tiggywinkles wildlife care handbook to see if Les can give me any more advice!
LOL, that is one I refer to constantly. The only thing I dispute is Les' statement that wood pigeons never adapt to captivity...they do, if sharing an aviary with feral pigeons who dampen the woodie scattiness. My rescue woodies are busy telling anyone who willl listen that "It's two coos, Taffy" and all of them joined the ferals for a leisurely bath today!

Cynthia

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Yes. If it was a cat, he'll need antibiotics.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've just got back from the vets....

At first she was very doubtful that we could save him, I had just persuaded her to give me some antibiotics so I could give him a chance...then she pulled away some of the feathers that were all clogged together under his wing and we could see into his stomach, along with some of the seed I had fed him last night :(

The vet said it would be kinder at this time to put him to sleep as there wasn't anything they could do for him, so I just let her take him away. It was very sad as he was quite alert in spite of his injury, but he was kicking up such a fuss and she was saying he ma die of the stress anyway :(

Thank you again everyone for all your kind words and advice.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I'm sorry. It is true that often they don't try hard enough with a ferral, but then again, sometimes the injuries really are just to severe. Are you sure it was the stomach you could see the seed in, and not the crop?
Anyway, I'm very sorry he couldn't be saved.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts