Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have two cocks paired with the same hen. I have watched both cocks mate with the hen, and now all three take turns sitting on the eggs. All three are 09 birds. The two cocks "paired up" when the sexes were seperated. When I started breeding, the hen took a liking to one of the cocks and now all three seem to be happy. Has anyone seen this before?

View attachment 14571

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
We have the same unlikely trio with our rescue pigeons. Bluebell (cock) and Pumpkin (hen) had been a pair for a couple years when Pretty Bar (cock) arrived and became a sort of lodger in their nesting "complex". About three years ago Pumpkin took up with Pretty Bar, they moved into a new nesting box and had a clutch of eggs. But Bluebell couldn't accept that Pumpkin was no longer his mate and eventually all three moved back in together, sharing nesting duties. It is really hysterically funny when both males are trotting behind Pumpkin driving her at the same time.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I have 2 hens paired to one cock right now. I was wondering how they were getting 4 eggs cause I knew the one was a cock and them I seen the other hen sitting the eggs also. It is so weird cause there are sinlge cocks in the pen right now.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I've had this happen before. Two eggs, 3 birds. I thought there were two hens at first, but apparently not!

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
The sweetest threesome we have ever had happenned this year. Chubby Checker was the oldest cock in the aviary, he had always had two hens on the go and his hens always got on really well with each other.

Sadly, his youngest hen died early this year, and a few months later he also died, leaving a widow, Wingo. I was really worried abot Wingo being left alone, but a couple of days after Chubby's death I saw her being gently preened by another hen, Baby, who was happily mated to Toffee...Baby and Wingo immeditely started sharing egg sitting and within a short time Toffee had also taken Wingo under his wing and was preening her. Now they are a hapy threesome.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Have you an odd number of hens to cocks in the loft?, If you do it would be better to get the odd ball out of the breeding loft, otherwise nothing but trouble in your loft!:)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
yeah, I hope they do not fight over who is going to feed the babies...lol.. but if they do a good job the squabs will be full to the brim...lol...

·
Registered
119 Posts
I Also Have Two Hens With One Cock. One Of The Hens Is Older And Doesnt Lay Any More. But She Still Makes Nests And Sits. I Use Her As A Step Mom To The Smaller Of The Two Babies From Other Nests. Ive Been Raising Pigeons For Over 25 Years And Havr Only Seen This Once With Two Fantail Hen That I Had.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
This is fairly common in young birds. They'll do some funny things until they get the idea that something isn't right :p My extra cockbird eventually split away and found his own mate.

G

·
i have a few trios going on in my loft and they arent youngbirds but they are all 1 cock an two hens not 2 cocks and one hen... its nice when 3 pigeons can get along so well like that in one nest box :)

·
Registered
414 Posts
Thats just awesome, i have seen 2 hens with a cock but never the other way around....speaking of odds and ends in the breeding loft, i had a cock last year with his hen in the fly pen area when they were kissing and he squatted and she jumped on his back......this year i seen this same cock with another cock :confused:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts