Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My pigeon is about 2 months old and has just recently learned to fly. He was fine up until he was about two months, and then this small bulge appeared in the middle of his throat. I thought maybe i was seeing things, so i ignored the problem. Now it's about a week later and the lump in my pigeon's throat is considerably larger and slightly more off to the right of his throat. It looks very akward on him, but it doesn't seem like he is in any sort of pain from it (not that i can actually tell). Also, the pigeon is eating and swallowing fine. Any ideas as to what this lump may be...? Or what it might be caused by...?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Hello! My pigeon is about 2 months old and has just recently learned to fly. He was fine up until he was about two months, and then this small bulge appeared in the middle of his throat. I thought maybe i was seeing things, so i ignored the problem. Now it's about a week later and the lump in my pigeon's throat is considerably larger and slightly more off to the right of his throat. It looks very akward on him, but it doesn't seem like he is in any sort of pain from it (not that i can actually tell). Also, the pigeon is eating and swallowing fine. Any ideas as to what this lump may be...? Or what it might be caused by...?
sometimes a lump in the throat can be canker, you can get meds for it from the pigeon supply sites online.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
What color is the lump? Yellow? White?
Also, does it appear to be fleshy/under the skin, or does it look more like cheese that you could scrape off? Sounds like it could be either canker or pox. Another sign to look for is the inside of the mouth smelling bad.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What are some cures for Trichomoniasis? I looked it up based on what you said and came across this. I'm sure this is why my pigeon has. Any ideas on what i could do to help cure it? I have been planning on going on vacation tomorrow, and i wanted something i could put in his food or get quickly and have someone else give to him. Basically anything that does not require going to the vet for is do-able. Any ideas? I really don't want my pigeon to die! Thank you all so much!

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
For canker we give Fishzole pills. I'm not sure that you'd be able to find metronidazole products anywhere but online pigeon supply stores or at the vet. In the meantime, I'd give him some apple cider vinegar in his water, 2 tablespoons per gallon.

I'll go find you some links on canker meds.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
okay! i called my local pet store and they have a fish product that has metronidazole in it. Its not fish zole though, do you think it will still be safe to give to my pigeon?

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
AtA general cure maybe? i'm not for certain on the first part!
Well, the only way to know for sure is to know the correct name and try to do a search. I have no idea if you could use it or not.
If we knew where you are, we just might have a member close by with some medicine.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I have contacted one of our members near you and she will be coming on line in just a minute, so don't go away.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Hi there,

I see you are in Burton. I'm not very far away at all, in Ortonville. I have spartrix tablets and flagyl which are both for treatment of canker and you can have some of either or both. I work in the opposite direction, and see that you are going away tomorrow...so if possible we'll have to try and connect tonight?! I'll PM you if you are still online. Or you can PM me back.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Hi there,

I see you are in Burton. I'm not very far away at all, in Ortonville. I have spartrix tablets and flagyl which are both for treatment of canker and you can have some of either or both. I work in the opposite direction, and see that you are going away tomorrow...so if possible we'll have to try and connect tonight?! I'll PM you if you are still online. Or you can PM me back.
Thank you!:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Okay, I spoke with thesnipes and she told me that it could possibly be a blood boil. Anyone know anything about that? Sorry for jumping the gun and assuming it was a canker.... that just made a lot of sense!

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Can you post a picture?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Hi again,
I met up with Deborah and her daughters and their pidgie, he sure is a pretty guy, and very calm and sweet.

There is a large lump that to me I suspect may be a swollen salivary gland. I saw no sign of canker in the throat/mouth, but to be on the safe side we dosed him with a Spartrix tablet and she has some flagyl for flock treating everybody, I gave her enough for a couple days and they already ordered some today which should be here by Friday. So they should have enough of that drug to treat everyone, just in case, since they have >1 young bird and well you know if it is canker it could spread.

I realize this could also be an infection. I gave her some cipro tablets, but no instructions to use them for now, just so she has some on hand. (They are the 50mg tabs, in case they come on here and ask for dosing help should they decide to administer them.)

Of course it could also be a tumor, or ??? The texture felt firm. I guess it would just be the normal first thought to go for canker as the suspect agent.

I thought it best to not double dose this bird with the spartrix and flagyl, but not sure if they will decide to isolate him or not, so he will either be getting the flagyl or the spartrix pills for the next few days. It's a bit complicated, as they are about to go on vacation leaving a friend to care for their birds. And why is it that they always get ill on holidays???? (Or weekends when you can't get something shipped overnight!)

They said that lump grew pretty quickly. It is not a blood tumor, it's definitely under the skin and the flesh looks normal. Inside his mouth was a healthy / normal looking color. I took some pics of him - it is pretty large but he seems so far at least to be able to swallow normally.

Anyway, just letting people know what they have now to work with...any other advice or thoughts...

Hopefully he will be ok till they get back and can update us with how things went. Fingers X'd! Thanks for the headsup, Charis :)

here are the pics:
front view not as clear
side view more pronounced!

ps she also gave me $20 which I did not want to take, but on her polite insistence will put in the rescue fund. Perhaps to share or pass on to the next PT member faced with an insurmountable bill :) Thanks, Deb!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts