Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my pigeon will throw up seeds intermittently throughout the day. I took him to a vet and they gave him bactrim, nystatin, and benebac. His poops are now darkish green with yellow urates. The vet said hes perfectly healthy but the xrays showed 12 opague objects in his gizzard. No gram stain was done and they want to recheck him in a week. They claim he didnt throw up any seeds while there but i think thats just because he didnt like their feed and wasnt eating or doing so when no one looked. Any tips on what could be going on? Hes constantly cleaning himself, more than usual. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello, my pigeon will throw up seeds intermittently throughout the day. I took him to a vet and they gave him bactrim, nystatin, and benebac. His poops are now darkish green with yellow urates. The vet said hes perfectly healthy but the xrays showed 12 opague objects in his gizzard. No gram stain was done and they want to recheck him in a week. They claim he didnt throw up any seeds while there but i think thats just because he didnt like their feed and wasnt eating or doing so when no one looked. Any tips on what could be going on? Hes constantly cleaning himself, more than usual. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Take him back and ask them to check for canker. Yellow urates is one of the symptoms. Drinking excessive water as well. Sometimes they have yellow growths in the back of the throat.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
If she had a yeast infection that caused the vomiting, then the antibiotics will only make it worse. Are you giving the Nystatin on an empty crop?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No im giving it on a full crop, he doesnt like the meds one bit and its a long process as i give me little by little. The vet prescribed nystatin at 0.36 ml q12hrs and bactrim at 0.75ml q12hrs. Are these doses too high? What is your opinion on putting apple cider vinegar i. His water and or activated charcoal in his grit or food?

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
I've never used bactrim, so can't advise reg this meds. The Nystatin is fine, it does not get absorbed in the body. Although better to give on an empty crop as it needs to come into contact with the yeast to kill it. Then wait half an hour or so and let her eat.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Droppings are a bit greenish. How many is she producing? How long must you still do the antibiotics? After finishing the antibiotics, continue with the Nystatin on an empty crop twice a day. You can also add some probiotics to her food and see if this makes a difference. Also some apple cider vinegar in the drinking water. 5 ml acv to 1 litre of water, this will help restore the good gut bacteria.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts