Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Sunday morning I went to let my pigeons out. I have a small loft of 14 Racers. All were young and flying back from 5 mile releases and I was looking forward to 15 mile releases this week. I opened the door and there were dead birds everywhere. All 14 were dead. Some had been bitten but a lot had no marks. Just panicked and stressed to death I suppose. Young just hatched with their mothers on top of them and some in the sunning area that had been trapped there.
I have a sputnik type trap with a board that fits over it at night. I have used this for a year and did not think anything could lift it out. I set a live trap inside the loft last night and left the trap so whatever it was could get back in the way it did before. I caught a racoon so I guess he had been able to paw the board from its recess.I have it set up again tonight to see if it was a family of them.
I have lived in the country all my life and know the sorrow of loosing dogs, cats, calves and others as a way of life. But these birds touched me.
I wish I would have put a piece of wood that would turn and block the board closed so they could have been safer.
So I'm not looking for sympathy but only post this as a reminder that being too safe may seem silly but it will pay off to over design night closures cause that **** was real smart to get in.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
It's a good reminder to us all and I thank you for posting.
I walked in on a similar scene, years ago and I know how painful it is. I know you're not asking for sympathy but I am genuinely sorry this happened.

G

·
I too am sorry to hear this :( it has happened to me as well when I was a youngin myself , those little beasties are very strong and very brutal and will kill everything they can catch once inside your loft ..safty is everything for these poor birds as they are so helpless when it comes to preditors in the wild ..again Im very sorry you had to go thru this :eek:

·
Registered
594 Posts
I am so sad to hear of your loss. I will be doing something in the morning to make sure my loft is a safer. I have 18 birds that I have just started training and I will have to put something temporary up tonight or I won't sleep a wink. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I'm very sorry, it must be devastating. Those raccoons are so tricky and smart, it's incredible. I once had a roommate who kept a large, hard plastic "kiddie" pool out on the patio, with small goldfish, a few crawdads, and a red-eared slider (all set up very nicely with filters and such). There was wire all around it, put into the ground 18 inches, and a hatch on top to open and step through. One night we heard a commotion and went out and a raccoon had pried up the wire out of the ground and was in the pool feasting. That pool was there for years and my roommate thought the wire was good enough--which it seemed like it certainly was--but after that he had to rig something else up that was stronger. My only point being, you did your best to board up your trap and just didn't know how tricky they can be. I'm very sorry this happened, I hope it doesn't keep you away from keeping pigeons. :eek:

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Raccoons are cute, until they do things like this :( I have also had a VERY similar case, but not with so many losses at once :( I can't help but feel sorry for you, must have been horribe to walk in and see that. A lot of people don't understand how much these birds can touch us, but it's times like this that it really shows. One of those things that you just don't know how it feels til it happens to you.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I'm very sorry you lost all your birds.
Thank you for having the courage to post your warning, especially when the painful memories are still so fresh in your mind. You may have helped to save many innocent lives.
I hope you don't give up keeping pigeons. Your experience will be their gain.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all. It must be a good racoon year as when I asked around all the neigbors had them get into feed bags. I'll keep trapping then try again later. Thanks for the private messages and support.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I too am sorry Bill, time will heal. hey I have never seen fort knox! always heard about it and used the name in jokes and stuff, there really is a fort knox!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts