Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted in another thread, here is the story: http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f6/urgent-help-pigeons-poisoned-46536-2.html

Again, here is the google maps link: http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&....811781,144.966223&spn=0.052484,0.132093&z=14

It is at the one at the end where the lane curves around to the dead end.

Please read the other thread and any advice is hugely appreciated as I am feeling so helpless and depressed about this right now.

I used to work at the land titles offices over a decade ago.. anyone have any idea how to find the owner or contact info of a property in public information, quickly?

I believe the address of this warehouse is 22 Celestial Lane, Melbourne 3000. It may be 18 Celestial Lane. I can't find an entrance, so I am thinking it might be extended from 18, or from the lane behind, 'Heffernan Place' or Heffernan Lane.

I feel like it's a futile attempt to take seed and water to extend this pigeon's life for a few days or weeks, if it is just going to expire trapped in a metal cage either way.

I have contacted the RSPCA but considering that the government ecology agencies and councils consider the pigeons pests/feral non-native nuisances, I suspect they will not 'waste' manpower or donation dollars to rescuing a 'lowly' pigeon.

Such ideology sickens me and reminds me of the psychopaths and eugenicists and de-population agenda focused humans that we all have to deal with (just look at the financial motivations behind big pharma concocting a name for a 'new disease/illness' which are really just human conditions, and then selling a new drug to 'treat' these problems (like normal stress, sadness, lack of motivation, ANYTHING now can be called a disease and provided a drug for it) - which actually causes far worse side effects than the problem ever did.

I am in a very sad place right now - I lost my rescue pigeon Professor recently, my grandmother of 90 years old is going into a nursing home soon due to her age getting on top of her physically (gout, bad leg edema swelling and other things building up), my mother passed from smoking = lung/brain cancer (plus mouth full of mercury root canals and fillings) then chemotherapy dehydration and malnurishment (not to mention mental deterioration and lack of ability to communicate after large mass removed from parietal lobe of brain) which was the actual final cause of demise. So I can't stand to see this long-necked (girl I think) pigeon trapped like this.

I only went to look in the lane because from a main road, I saw across an empty carpark that many pigeons were hanging out there. There was this funny brown feathered lad trying to any ladies but no one was interested. It was cool to see them all hanging out on different bits of the building, catching up before heading home to bed.

But then I saw this girl trapped. And I was horrified and transfixed. I really don't want more grief or guilt right now. But I am thinking what can I do?? I will definitely check her tomorrow and give water 2x plastic side of a drink bottle, as well as the last seed I have. I don't know what more I can do if I can't find anyone to open the gate.

Getting that person to then open the gate is another thing altogether.

I understand if no one replies to this, just thought I should put it out there in case anyone has any ideas. But it seems like a futile, hopeless situation.

Too much tragedy in this world.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
A few years ago we succeeded in getting trapped pigeons in Toronto freed by making calls from Belgium and the UK....let's do it again!

Can you post the number of the RSPCA branch that you called (with international code)and the full address of the pigeon's location, please. We need as much detail as possible if we are to do anything.

Most countries will have laws that forbid allowing the slow death of any trapped animal. If the RSPCA get telephone calls from around the world they will be forced to act. If not, then we try the press.

All animals suffer equally if subjected to cruelty, there should be no discrimination. However, we have to face the fact that the pigeon is likely to be destroyed as it's rescued, but we will do what we can to prevent that too.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
My heart goes out to you...your recent loss and situation. Am sending you my best spirits and wishes.

Well...are there any animal rights/advocacy groups around you ? Contact them as well. they may well know somebody at the SPCA and can light a fire under them.....

Also....I suppose I would take food to the bird if you can actually get close enough to deliver the food. This may well take a couple of days to resolve, and it's best to keep the pigeon sustained in the meantime....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will head out in the next hour now that the plumber has left my place, to bring some wild bird seed and some water for the girl. No reply from RSPCA, I only used email form, I will try ringing them tonight when I return.

http://www.rspcavic.org/rspca_services/inspectoratecomplaintform.htm is the form I used, for phone contact the number with international dialing is:
(61) 039 224 2222

However I might skip calling them since I think I know what they will say, I remember now that perhaps Wild Life Victoria might help out, these are the only real welfare organisation, thank you for reminding me! I have been so worried I haven't been thinking straight. They hopefully will help, but again they might not have time to help considering how many possums and other native animals are injured each day by cats and dogs and the like.

http://www.wildlifevictoria.org.au/emergencyphone.html

I will call them when I get back in around 2-3 hours, it is very hot today so priority is making sure first she gets some water in. I'll make sure its warm so she doesn't go into shock.

I'll post up if Wild Life Victoria will help, otherwise will need to call RSPCA and try again.

I was thinking the only way to get out without owner of the building would be locksmith.. so not cheap.

I was thinking also maybe not to leave all the seed I have, just a few handfulls, because it is in the city in a lane, I wouldn't want to attract mice/rats to where she is.. I will leave enough for her to keep going for at least a couple more days.

THE EXACT ADDRESS is 18 or 22 Celestial Avenue, Melbourne, 3000 Australia. It is a lane that runs off Little Bourke Street (aka Chinatown), close to the corner of Little Bourke Street.

It is a very small lane only around 50 metres long and has a dead end so not hard to find. Here is the google street view again (map location also): http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&....811781,144.966223&spn=0.052484,0.132093&z=14

If you look there you can see the red cages surrounding the roller doors, she is trapped in the one on the left where the lane goes around the corner (it ends a few metres in).

I'll take the food and water in the next 30 minutes and see how she is. I'll also try next door at 18 Celestial Avenue, as this is a doctors office (was closed yesterday/Sunday), will ask if they know about next door 22 Celestial Avenue, and also will check for any main entrance to the building from Heffernan Lane (might be Heffernan Place), the lane
parallel behind the warehouse. So hopefully there is a restaurant or something there that can open it up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Progress!

Hi, just an update, went into the city and made a make-shift water bowel out of a pepsi 1.25 litre bottle, so there is a little water there for her. She was skittish so didn't come over while I was there, but it is wedged securely under the gate and she should hopefully realise soon there is some water for her. She was terrified at first when I started throwing the seed through the gaps of the gate, but after a few minutes she started having a nibble on some barley and the like. She was still responsive today even though it was so hot, and she has only a very small area for shade (half a square foot I would say). I'm hoping she is going to see through this!!

I looked around the building and asked people nearby if they knew who ran the building, it was totally empty and no one knew, but finally I looked THROUGH the graffiti to see it was a electricity company sub station!!

So I called the wild life australia phone number and asked the best way to go about it, they said just call the power company emergency line and when asked if it is a life threatening emergency, choose that one!

I picked it and the guy was very nice and helpful and said he would get someone out there as soon as possible. I can understand if this is a day or two, but now with the food and a little water she should be able to survive through it.

Hooray! Now here's hoping it doesn't happen again anytime soon :)

I'll check back tomorrow on my way home from visiting my grandmother in the hospital and might fill up the water again if still in there.

Thank you for your replies, it really strengthened my resolve to know that there are other fanciers, rescuers and twitchers out there that love these feathered friends as much as I do.

I felt so bad today for her, from midday she is in full sun until sunset. Now I just hope she doesn't have to fend off any mice/rats tonight trying to get her seed/leaves! Oh, I left some baby spinach leaves for a bit of green too, so hopefully she will have a little munch on that!

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Wow....I applaud you ! You have handled this perfectly !!!! I am sure your lil' pal, in her/his own way...is very appreciative. Keep us posted and again..Kudos for your efforts !!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went yesterday to check on her, still there, water bottle I put (precariously) gone, but she had eaten some food and was having a small peck when I got there. Had been a very hot day so I was glad she made it. I tried to put another smaller water bottle in a different position, but this is not the best so tomorrow I will go back with a plastic take away food container, cut it to an inch or so however big I can for the bottom and use two of these for water. I bought more seed yesterday so will put a fair pile in there tomorrow after visiting my grandmother.

I am concerned that perhaps Citipower will not help. I will call back tomorrow or Saturday day (don't want to get grumpy over night emergency call centre staff) if she is still there tomorrow. Yesterday was only 48 hours since calling them on Monday, but I worry they won't care.

I didn't receive a reply from the RSPCA but I did from PETA asia, who have inquired as to the current state and the phone number of Citipower.

It would be great if she is still there tomorrow night if you could call on Monday morning GMT +11 to inquire.. Citipower electricity distibution for the city of Melbourne, privatised over a decade ago from the state owned SES. (Australia 61) 131280 - 24 hours emergency life threatening situation for power/sub stations call line

Once agained faced with futility as the cage appears to only open from the inside. There is only a narrow space between the cage and the roller door, like 2-3 feet, so whoever came would have to go to another entrance to access the building, open the roller door a tiny bit, try to shoo the bird to fly up for a second or perch on tiny bits above the cage gate/door opening mechanisms, while the person rolls or squats through the roller door, shutting it quickly so the bird wouldn't go into the building. Then they could open the cage, shoo it out in about 2 seconds and then close it and that's it.

But I could easily see someone seeing it on their 'to-do' list and just saying 'yeah I did that' while they had lunch instead.

Boltcutters might be abled to go through a bit of the cage, but I dont have any and I'm not that sort of guy (have had fantasies about freeing restaurant seafood/crayfish tho!!). Not being able to consider that option (also having mentioned it = premeditation lol), I feel hopeless & futile and this instance of animal cruelty through neglect and ignorance makes me very depressed.

I hope something can be done for this poor bird. Some deterrent spikes might be useful too to stop it happening again. I don't think it would, it seems like a rare chance event (like a male swooping a girl there randomly and her falling in, there's lots of frisky spring time guys around at the moment), but I'll watch out in future no matter of this outcome and see if happens again.

I really hope it doesnt though and this can have a happy end. Too much tragedy in my life the past year, but at least I have done all I can - I'll see her tomorrow again and provide some more food and water and call the company back. I know she will still be there in my heart, people really don't like pigeons, a great number of people. So if just one link in the fence hates pigeons and thinks we need less in the city and less cleaning to do, they will cover up the job and it will be said 'done'.

Too used to this sort of thing with corporations and government organisations, so I fear the worst.

I can't say I didn't try though. I'll post back again within 24 hours.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
My heart goes out to you and your little friend.

Having to rely on other people to do what they say they will do when you know you could have done it yourself by now is so frustrating, I applaude you for your perseverance.

The fact they would need to be aware of not letting her fly by accident into the building when releasing her is worrying. It would be ideal if they would just let you know when they intend to do it so you could possibly be there to ensure that doesn't happen.
For your peace of mind it would be good to know she was actually free and not stuck inside the building after all your hard work.

Don't lose heart, you've been very intuative so far as to how to get help, I'm sure it will pay off.

Praying for a good outcome for you.

Janet

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Is it actually possible that its got in there from the inside originally ?
Maybe another "pigeon way" into the building, then if roller door has been open, even just a bit, it would prob try to get out and maybe nobody noticed before closing it. Maybe best way to get it out is to let it in first. But obviously someone still has to get in to do this

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes I think that it would be best if I was there, but they already probably think I'm weird so I didn't suggest it, I would of course do it and will offer next call (tonight or Monday). I will try them again and I let PETA know so hopefully they may try calling them as well - they asked for photos so I will take these tonight if I can and post here too.

If you go to google view and look at the cages, they are extremely solid - I honestly don't have any tools, it is in a very public place, it is an electricity company building.. There's not much I could compare them to, but they are incredibly strong street metal, they tower 5-7 metres tall and have five total segments joined together (one at top, two sides and two front openable parts). Plus as I said I couldn't do it since i've mentioned it online. A quick google, after such an incident, would lead the police right to me saying here that I planned to do it hehe! So whenever I mention something illegal, it is always something that I have not/will not/can not do! So if I could have done it, I would have, not mentioned it and there would be no thread here :) I wish that was the case.

It is the prison-like nature of this cage that really struck me as such a daunting spectacle of our impact on the environment in so many ways.

As far as the pigeon coming in from a secret part, I highly doubt this as I don't see any pigeons coming and going, they all roost on the exterior of the building. I am 100% certain she fell in through the top, she is skinny and not wide, with a long neck - just the right size to fall through the gap if unlucky, swooped, lost footing etc. She keeps flying up to get out.. also, these doors are NEVER opened unless they need to deliver a new component for the generator or whatever, so I don't think she would have got trapped there in that time.. various other pigeons rest where she would have fallen in, they are mostly a bit bigger than her though.. she is about 3-3.5 inches wide, not very wide at all compared to usual I see around 4-6 inches with wings down. She keeps flying up to try and get out too, every few minutes when I've been there with her.

When I call up I will be apologetic and say something like 'I noticed the bird is still there, I made a report last Monday, but I forgot to mention I am available whenever needed to help spot or remove the bird, as it would be rather unfortunate to have it fly into the building - it's a small gap between the cage and the roller door so the only hassle would be to open the rollers a little, shoo the bird to fly up and then crouching under the roller door while it's not fully opened and pulling it down to keep the bird out of the building, while then opening the gate. I don't think they would like me in there, or opening the gate, or helping, or even having to do anything. I will offer but I don't think they will take me up on that one.. especially because if they *haven't* looked, I (to them) could perhaps be someone messing them around for some reason.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe its time to mean....the bird had been there for 5 or 6 days now...maybe more before you found her. Good luck.
http://imgur.com/TMiJh.jpg
http://imgur.com/3x2Ty.jpg
http://imgur.com/fwDv1.jpg
http://imgur.com/6zbvm.jpg
http://imgur.com/35BIP.jpg
http://imgur.com/FBPCH.jpg
http://imgur.com/g4Foc.jpg
http://imgur.com/cKbYv.jpg
http://imgur.com/I8jcE.jpg
http://imgur.com/avXFw.jpg

Yesterday afternoon - I'll call up on Monday again. I've forwarded these photos PETA asia pacific, I'll also forward these to RSPCA even though have not had a reply yet at all.

I'll call up Wild Life Australia also on Monday to let them know I am calling Citipower again and to ask for any advice on tact with them for my 2nd call..

·
Registered
340 Posts
Please read

I just wanted to add an update to this thread. I have been on/offline sue to having limited Internet access and missed this thread - but boy was I worried when I read it! So worried that I drove down at 11.30 at night to assess the situation. I have some good news and some terrible news. I believe the pigeon that lastninja spoke of has been removed, and subsequently released, or euthenased. Their are two differing panels of roller doors - one with empty water dishes and no pigeon (bless you lastninja).

Now for the bad news. The other roller door cage now has one dead pigeon in it and one live pigeon in it. I will go back on the morning and put some seed and water in.

It is clear that this has been a death trap for the pigeons roosting above for sometime. What makes it worse is that if you were casually passing by, u wouldn't even see the pigeons- the "cage" exterior is that thick.

I will be getting on the phone tomorrow and ringing each and every organization I can think of so we can get these pigeons freed, and some type of wire barricade placed above.

I implore all pigeon talk members to email citi power on the following email to achieve action to stop this - for good.

Last ninja I understand your despair, and you should know that you have provided comfort to a creature in the time of it's greatest need.

Susie (Kamz)

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
I have e-mailed city power and the RSPCA. The behaviour of the two organisations is scandalous . Cruelty is cruelty, no animal suffers less than another and the RSPCA's discrimination against the less valuable animals damns them. The have no right to claim that they seek to prevent cruelty to animals because they don't, they seek only to attract donations.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Great news

Ok guys! I think with the help of members emailing citipower and a discussion with a very nice supervisor named rod, we may be close to an outcome on this issue!

I visited this morning and provided seed and water to the bird trapped (which I now believe is the same bird as last ninja was looking after).

I went home and made lots of calls - citipower is willing to open the gate and let me take possession of the bird this afternoon. Phwoar! If this happens, I encourage everyone to send them an email complimenting the company on. Their humanitarian approach!

The bird itself is in poor condition. There was no water or seed, only the empty dishes inside which last ninja must have placed at some time. Soooo sad. Well done everyone on PT and feefo thank you for your responses.

Restores you faith in humanity, doesn't it,

Susie

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
It potentially does. Please keep us posted. I was about to send a critical e-mail to them...glad I scrolled down to the bottom of the thread first.

Thanks to the both of you for your fortitude !

We keep our fingers crossed that this can finally come to a positive close.....

1 - 20 of 60 Posts