Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New to pigeons and new to this forum. Been watching for quite awhile though...

Anyways, I'm in the process of building the Red Rose Loft and had some questions on the door (I think pigeon keepers call them "traps") that lets the pigeons in and out. Particularly I'm interested in a door that lets the pigeons come and go as they please. It is my understanding that most folks open the pigeon coop and everyday and let the pigeons out to fly. I recognize that this would be ideal, but I work very strange and unpredictable hours and am often out of town for awhile. So, I was thinking that there might be a better alternative of just letting the pigeon in/out as they please. Is this a bad idea?

I think I have three options (if there are others, let me know).

1) I've seen the "bobs" that allow the pigeons to go through, but only one direction. What if I put in two sets of bobs, an entrance and an exit?

2) I've seen what I think is called a drop trap, but I'm guessing the pigeons cannot get back out once they gone into the coop.

3) In the Red Rose Coop, what if you just left the door open in the aviary? I would think the pigeons could come and go as they please. Biggest risk would be a predator, but I don't think most predators would get up on the aviary floor to get in. The only exception might be an owl, but if you made the door small enough... What are your thoughts?

Thanks all and am very excited. see ya.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Just askin for trouble . Cats, owls , hawks , rats etc . Can all get up & in a 4" hole . Build a good solid large aviary if yu want more freedom . It's your responsibility as a keeper to keep um safe as possible from predators .

·
Registered
217 Posts
Listen to RossHoward ! As I was reading your post about wanting to let them come and go as they please, in my head I was like " OMG NO! DONT!" lol
Pigeons are EXTREMELY susceptible to predators and they are practically defenseless. you'd basically be setting up an all you can eat pigeon buffet for any bird of prey or predator.

·
Registered
312 Posts
please listen to these folks, if you give them total come and go freedom because you aren't home every predator for miles around will dine on your birds ASAP. Traps are made for a reason, that being so they can get in but not back out until YOU decide it's safe again. If you aren't home for several days and they are locked up they are safe until you get back. It wont hurt them at all to be locked up for a while but if you are not home who will feed them?????

·
Registered
72 Posts
I tried this once. The birds will go ferrell if they have that much freedom. Any of the tameness that you worked hard to instill will be gone. In my case, it wasn't long before my loft was empty, either from predators, or fly aways. Just let them out when you have the opportunity. They'll be fine!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Just remember that if you do use traps to catch um when they come home they are one way which means anything outside can come in & eat all your birds . If you are gonna fly them you should be there so when they trap you can lock it so nothing gets in .

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hi rlrobinhood,
Welcome to PT
I'm glad that you showed interest in pigeons.

I like your idea of giving freedom to the birds as your out for days so birds must have access to fresh air,sunlight and baths.
Advice has been given,free access to aviary attached to your loft is best option if its completely secure.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi all,

I think I have three options (if there are others, let me know).

1) I've seen the "bobs" that allow the pigeons to go through, but only one direction. What if I put in two sets of bobs, an entrance and an exit?

Thanks all and am very excited. see ya.
Hello,
Happy to see your interest. You can get bobs that swing both directions. I have them. I've also created a simple device so I can lock in any direction (or both).

I have a friend a village over who allows an open loft. Honestly, I don't think it will give the results most are looking for. If you want to keep specific birds - especially those that give good babies, you're risking future heritage. If you are looking to keep a general number of birds, you could dwindle quickly. For him, none of this matters. He just likes having birds around. In most places, things have become so urban finding food is a bit more challenging than it is out here. So the hawks, owls, cats, etc find the birds to be an easy and stationary meal (same location).
I got a little creative with my set up, granted most people don't have a barn hanging around, but maybe it will bring some ideas to mind for your desires. Check out what I've done. A roost within an aviary. The barn doesn't appear to be fenced in, but is. http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/album.php?albumid=2610

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.