Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wondering how to treat my flock for worms and possible disease. I am new to the sport and recently was given some birds.

What 2 or 3 treatments do you feel are essential to raise health pigeons.

I've found Moxidectin Plus which seems to handle worms and lice, any thing else?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Are they sick?

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
No, not sick. The treatment would be preventive
The best preventative for illness is a clean/rodent free loft (mice droppings spread salmonella), fresh water, good feed and grit with calcium. Not a good idea to give antibiotics for NO reason........You don't take cold medicine if you don't have a cold...do you?
The only thing I do routinely is worm my birds 3-4 times a year. I have used moxidectin in the past, but with so many birds its expensive. I was using Ivermectin for a long time, but found that Roundworms have become resistant to it, so I only use it in their bath for external parasites. I use Pyrantel Pamoate for roundworms.
Most common pigeon illness's are canker, coccidia, salmonella (paratyphoid) and bacterial infection. So best meds to keep on hand are- metronidazole for canker, albon (what I use) or something for coccidia, and Baytril for Salmonella and bacterial infections. But don't use any of these as a preventative. And don't waste your money on any of those '3 in 1 or 4 in 1' remedies.
If your racing, I would check on the vaccine they use for PMV.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The best preventative for illness is a clean/rodent free loft (mice droppings spread salmonella), fresh water, good feed and grit with calcium. Not a good idea to give antibiotics for NO reason........You don't take cold medicine if you don't have a cold...do you?
The only thing I do routinely is worm my birds 3-4 times a year. I have used moxidectin in the past, but with so many birds its expensive. I was using Ivermectin for a long time, but found that Roundworms have become resistant to it, so I only use it in their bath for external parasites. I use Pyrantel Pamoate for roundworms.
Most common pigeon illness's are canker, coccidia, salmonella (paratyphoid) and bacterial infection. So best meds to keep on hand are- metronidazole for canker, albon (what I use) or something for coccidia, and Baytril for Salmonella and bacterial infections. But don't use any of these as a preventative. And don't waste your money on any of those '3 in 1 or 4 in 1' remedies.
If your racing, I would check on the vaccine they use for PMV.

There is a horse Dewormer called "QUEST GEL " it is 2% moxidectin. Its cheap around $13 and it makes around 6 gals of water. 4 bumps on the plunger makes one Gal. but you need to mix it in warm water first to get it to mix right , then add that to your water. Works great. I just treated all my birds and I have enough left to make two more gals. of dewormer which I will use half way through the YB races. Deworming needs a second dose in 21 to 30 days to get the next round of hatching worms.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts