Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Two pigeons were born in a nest alongside my balcony.One of them died within 10 days.The other one is alive ,but i fear it is injured in some way.I have not touched it fearing that its parents might desert it(have heard about it from somewhere).
I see the parents goading it to fly but to no avail.How can i help?Should i take to a vet?The pigeon is around 25 days old.I put some bread crumbs alongside it.The baby pegion does not eat the crumbs.
In how many days do a pegion learn to fly?

Soumya

·
Registered
812 Posts
Soumya,
I dont know how long it takes them to fly....depends I guess. 25 days old?...best u can do is provide food for parents, let nature take it's course. Since the 1st 1 died that means parents will try their best....dont worry.....peace.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Hi Soumya,
If parents are still around leave youngseter to their care. You can put some bird seeds to stimulate him to learn. Not all pigeons are used to bread because this is not their natural food.
If you notice health problem with youngster let us know. 30~35 days is natural period for weaning so there is still time for him to learn.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Soumya...thanks for caring. If the pigeon is a pigeon, and not a dove, he will NOT fly at 25 days old. That's too young.

As mentioned above, if the parents keep returning to feed him, that's a good sign. If you notice, however, that there has been no parental activity in 24 hours, you will have to bring him in.

However, so far nothing sounds strange about what is going on. Keep an eye on the baby, does he seeem to have a full crop every now and then ? (the 'crop' is right under his chin/beak, it's sort of like a pre-stomach; so when the parent feeds, it fills up the crop like a small puffy balloon). If he seems alert and active, that's good. If he gets very sleepy and lethargic all the time, stays in one place all the time, that isn't good. But it sounds like he is pretty active.

The only Q I have is...what happened to the dead pigeon's body ? Is it still in the nest area ? or did a parent kick it out ?

If it is still in the nest area...well, you may not wanna hear this, but...it is best to take it out and give him a decent burial (or just dispose of the body)...because it can attract bugs which would be unhealthy to the surviving sibling and could make hi sick. Contrary to popular belief, you can handle a baby pigeon and the parents will not abandon it...although I suggest not doing so while the parent is around and watching, so as not to spook the parent.

Also, do not worry about any disease transferring to a human. That is a myth; there is no danger in touching a feral pigeon. Just wash your hands and change any clothing which may have contacted the bird if you end up having to handle one of them.

Keep us posted. Thanks for helping !

Oh, BTW...a pigeon fledges between 5.1/2-7 weeks of age. So the wing-flapping you are seeing is him begging for food, not unsuccessfully trying to fly.
But you will see in a week or so that the baby will start to get airborne for small spurts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts