Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, found a pigeon a few days ago near my feeder, appeared unwell so I picked the bird up and brought it inside. The bird seems to be getting worse as it is now unable to stand. The bird weighs approx. 290 gr. I wormed the bird (worm out gel for two days) and have been giving it calcium syrup in it's drinking water. I'm not sure what to do next?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hi Vesna and thank you for helping this little pijie.

Can you give any other details? Does he/she look like a young bird, is he eating/drinking on his own and what exactly do the legs look like they are doing? Are they weak or splayed or is he falling over?

Pictures always help when possible.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, the bird is not young. The legs were working fine when I brought the bird in, it was standing on it's own. It has not been able to stand for a few days, the legs will move if I touch them but they remain under her pointing towards her tail. So far she will eat and drink with my help(bringing the dishes to her) but the bird keeps her tail up and seems to have diarhea

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Could it possibly be eggbound?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Hi Vesna, thank you for helping this bird.
Can you please give more details, how is his poop looking (normal, diarrhea, water)?
Did you check inside his mouth (color, smell, any liaisons)?
Do you have any medicines on hand (canker, cocci treatment, antibiotics)?
Is there an option to take him to the Vet?

For now keep him warm and well fed, post pictures of the bird and the poop we may be able to think of something.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, sorry I've been away from the computer. The poops are wet like diarrhea, they stick to her bottom so I wash it a couple of times a day. Inside the mouth appears pink and clear. I have some baytril and sulmet liquid on hand. Not sure when my vet will be back in the office. Wondering what would be best to do next?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I would start him on Baytril, keep him warm and make sure he is eating enough. Sometimes they pretend that they eat just to mask their illness check his crop and poops. How old is Baytril? Is it in tablet form or solution?
I use 15mg tablets 1/2 twice a day.

You can check this tread too:
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f25/handy-baytril-tablet-liquid-dosage-chart-16368.html

Besides medication, I would give him cinnamon tea (1 teaspoon to 1 liter boiling water and let it boil for few minutes) mix with honey and give instead of water. You can dilute if he is not drinking.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, Merry Christmas to all. I weigh the bird every day to make sure it's eating and I make sure it drinks (unflavoured pedialyte) a few times a day. The bird is maintaining a weight of approx. 290-300 gr. The bird can move it's legs but does not stand upright, it leans forward with it's butt up in the air. The bird is making poops although they are wet and the bird pumps it's tail hard in order to do so. How long before Baytril tablets are too old? I have 15 mg tablets which I dissolve in 1ml of water in a syringe, give a third of a ml every twelve hours? Thanks I appreciate the help, very sweet bird (they all are) want to help any way I can.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
So that's the equivalent of 10mg total of baytril per day if l understand correctly - you can up it to 12-15mg total per day. Could be egg binding indeed - am also wondering if some sort of anti-inflammatory would help Can you get hold of medacam (meloxcam) ? lf not do you have any liquid childrens formula (NOT infants - childrens) ibuprophen ?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks I will definitely increase the dose of medication. Do not have any medcam, will have to check on the children's ibuprofen. Would an egg bound bird still be able to poop?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
It's just that sometimes one of the signs of egg-binding is a temporary paralysis of the legs...and also, strangeness occurs with the poops.

You should do a search of "egg bound" on this site. I think folks have written of this condition before.....

Childrens liquid Advil or Childrens liquid Motrin....dosage = .02cc per 100g of bird. So if your friend is in at about 300g, I would tend towards a dose of .05cc....no more.

Not as good as Medacam because as you know, Ibuprophen can cause drowsiness...but it may offer some relief to her.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Another possibility is...Clostridium which is very common this time of the year.
You don't need to disolve the baytril in water. You can give one of those pills, directly down the throat, 1 time each day. With Pigeons in particular, baytril works best with the full dose once a day.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Tablets are fine, solution gets old and cloudy in approximately 5 days, 10 if in the fridge.
Egg bound hen is one case, after laying paralysis is another.
In cases of salmonella, joints are swollen and you can see yellowish fluid under the skin in the joints area.
With PMV there is no swelling, just paralysis. But you will notice diarrhea and bird will require vitamins and immune system boost. Bird will drink a lot.
Same situation may be in the case of wet canker, there will be other neurological signs though and smelly diarrhea, puffy crop often full of smelly fluid.
Some poisons will induce paralysis too, bright green diarrhea is usual addition. Concussion – she may have bruises wounds, etc. etc.
I would check for joints swelling fist.
Second - use pen flashlight and check iris response on light, both eyes.
Third - while supporting body with one hand, spread one wing gently to the full span and release it, watch for reaction and how quick she will retract it should be in a blink.
Repeat procedure with other wing.

If you notice sluggish reaction on iris/wing check she probably has neurological problem induced by disease.
Best bet is Baytril for 10 days and if you have Spartrix 1 pill.

If her reactions are fine then chances of post-egg paralysis are high and she needs minerals, vitamins and calcium.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you so much for the great information, really appreciate it. Did the wing test, she pulled back quickly. Starting to believe it may be something neurological. I have experience with PMV birds, this one seems different, no throwing of seeds, neck turning/star gazing. She cannot stand and her poops are formed but wet and a little foul smelling. I will continue with Baytril and call on Monday to see if my Vet is in so he can have a look at her. Hope she can remain strong until then. Seems I always need his help the most on weekends or holidays.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Lab test is best bet of course, please let us know what are results with your Vet. Best luck to you and her until Monday.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi, took her to the Vet and thought I would give an update. He examined her and believes she is suffering from micro toxins, he says birds are more prone to that this time of year because they are usually only able to find standing water to drink. He told me these situations usually don't end well and was suprised to know I have had her for one week. She is definitely going through a horrible time with her nervous system. Anyone know anything further on this or anyway I might help her?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
If he is sure that this is case of micro toxins than you can use Carbo Vegitabilis pills (activated charcoal - 1~2 pill a day) from the health shop and Calcium Ascorbate tablets for human use (disvolve in water).
They will bind and neutralize toxins in the body.
Vitamins B complex and honey in formula mix will boost immunity.

·
Registered
115 Posts
pigeon unable to stand

I am tracking this one. Keep us posted on how it goes. Good suggestions from Plamenh. If you can obtain these drugs and use them quickly I will be praying that the little girl makes it.....LOL

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello, Vet called me early this morning to let me know the poop I gave him to examine is full of coccidiosis(hope I spelled that one correctly) we have an appointment for 11:00 a.m. tommorow. Would any health food store have the charcoal you mentioned above. I could run out and pick some up. She is holding on so I am not giving up. Poor little girl has a lot going on inside. Thank you for all your help and well wishes.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have some capsules called CharcoCaps, they say Carbo Vegetabilis on the back under medicinal ingredients, they are in capsule form. What would be the best way to dose? Is the calcium regular calcium tabs? Should I give them together?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts