Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! This is a bit of an unusual situation, but I have acquired a very special rescue pigeon who deserves a loving home where he can live the way a pigeon deserves to live. Aries is a wild looking pigeon (rock dove?). He looks like the pigeons you see in city areas. He belonged to a professional trapper, and I'm unsure if he was wild caught, or if he was raised in a coop with other pigeons. Aries was chosen to be placed into a special compartment in the back of a live catch trap to entice a nuisance bobcat in the area to be caught. Weeks and weeks went by, and no bobcat. I discovered the trap while taking a walk just days after it had been set. Every single day, I would sneak out to the area where the trap was, and care for Aries, who had barely any room to walk or stretch his wings. He would devour his food and water, and I tended to him every day to make sure he kept weight on through the cold weather. At first he was afraid of me, but then he came to expect my visits and would pace excitedly as I approached him. I grew more and more fond of him, and worried about him more as time went on. It broke my heart to think of him surviving this ordeal only to be used as bait again and again. I made some contacts in order to find out any information I could, and was able to receive the bird once the efforts of catching the cat were abandoned. I took him into my home promising him that he will never be treated in such a way ever again. His tail is pretty tattered, and his wings are clipped. As the days have gone by, I've watched his personality bloom. He has become very vocal, and is quite the show off! Sometimes he likes to be held and petted, and other times he'll give you a swift peck and then strut around telling you who's boss! He's had lots of TLC and is now feeling much better and needing to live a good pigeon life. It would mean more to me than I can express if an experienced pigeon owner could give Aries the life he deserves where he can be social with other birds, and exhibit all his natural behaviors. I've wondered if he could be wild because he does look like wild pigeons, but with my inexperience, I would never make such a decision. I don't even know if he was caught or raised in captivity. That would take a long time anyways, because he has lots of feather repair to do! I've seen some beautiful aviaries on this site, and I know there are wonderful, caring people who could give Aries the life he's probably never, ever had. If anyone has any interest in learning more about Aries, feel free to give me a call or send me an email! My number is 443-465-5269 and my email is [email protected]. Thank you all for reading!

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I've sent a copy of your post to someone that may be interested.

Poor bird...thank god you noticed and took an interest. You are a real hero.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you!

just want to thank you guys for reading and for the support - I appreciate it so very much, and I do hope that something wonderful will come for Aries! Thank you for sending my post to someone who may be interested!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Is there no way to know if he was caught as an adult feral?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Is there no possibiblity of you keeping this bird? I feel that you really love him.
Also...are you positive this is a male bird?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Is there no possibiblity of you keeping this bird? I feel that you really love him.
Also...are you positive this is a male bird?
How can they know for sure what he is? Is someone looking for a particular sex?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey everyone! thanks again for the replies. I have spoken to two bird rehabbers, and am quite sure Aries is a male bird. Unfortunately, I am not set up to keep him long term. I do not have the proper housing for him. I am renting at the moment, and plan to move by the end of the summer due to my job. I have done everything I can for him, and watched his behavior and personality change and bloom into a bird who needs to be able to exhibit all of his natural behaviors in a larger space. I promised him he would never be mistreated again, and I knew it would maybe be a challenge to find a good home for him, but I am dedicated to do so. If nothing ever develops for him, I will make sure I continue to provide him the very best I can - I just know that there's a more appropriate home for him out there. With the limited information I was able to get on him, I think he was raised in a coop, because I heard the trapper had other pigeons as well. But it's hard to know for sure where little Aries originated. Thank you all again for the support and replies! I enjoy hearing from you!

~Tirzah

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
God bless you for taking such wonderful care of him and rescuing him.

I believe he will never get any better care then you can give him. He has an absolutely wonderful life. You know him, he knows you, and you went thru this ordeal together, you are the only one who can appreciate him best because of this. Trust me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you Trees Gray, that's very sweet, and I do love and care for him. Unfortunately, my plate is just so full with my other animals and my job that I'm at most of the day. Anytime he's not out, he hangs on the side of his cage and flaps his wings in a desperate plea to get out. As the days have gone by, he's become more and more anxious. I will do my best for him as long as needed, but I would appreciate so much someone to take him who has a place for him to fly and be with other birds - maybe an outside aviary? If anyone who has the proper set up would be interested in taking him, I would love to talk to them. Thank you all for listening!

~Tirzah

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I know how you feel about Aries, as my loft was originally built for 6 orphaned baby ferals that I brought home to raise with the thought to release. Until I found this site and realized that they would never know how to make it in the wild. We built the loft and have added other rescues since that time. If I were closer, I'd be on my way over, but shipping a live bird makes me really uncomfortable. And I agree that Aries, (I like that name by the way) deserves a safe loving home and friends.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Jay3, thanks for the post! It means so much to hear that you agree with what he needs! And yes, the name fits him very well! I wish you were closer too, because it sounds like you have a nice place for your birds, and your animals are so lucky to have found a place of refuge. I've been so excited to find this site where people love and care about these birds and know how to give them a happy life. :)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Hi Jay3, thanks for the post! It means so much to hear that you agree with what he needs! And yes, the name fits him very well! I wish you were closer too, because it sounds like you have a nice place for your birds, and your animals are so lucky to have found a place of refuge. I've been so excited to find this site where people love and care about these birds and know how to give them a happy life. :)
First off, where in north Georgia are you, I live in Kennesaw. Second, If I took Aries and took care of him until he was ready to ship to Jay then Jay gets a loving Aries, Aries gets to hang with other pigeons as I fatten him up and get him socially, mentally, and physically healthy and ready for a two day shipment to Jay. I'll cover all expense and take good care of him a month or two before I ship. I'll even give Jay a young White Homer to ship with Aries so he doesn't ship alone. Just click on my name and see my albums to see how Aries would live with me until he was ready to ship. Like you I cannot care for Aries for his lifetime but I know Jay will and I can make sure Aries vacation is a good one until he gets to his new home.

Your call and it will not hurt my feelings one way or the other,
God Bless,
Tony

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
First off, where in north Georgia are you, I live in Kennesaw. Second, If I took Aries and took care of him until he was ready to ship to Jay then Jay gets a loving Aries, Aries gets to hang with other pigeons as I fatten him up and get him socially, mentally, and physically healthy and ready for a two day shipment to Jay. I'll cover all expense and take good care of him a month or two before I ship. I'll even give Jay a young White Homer to ship with Aries so he doesn't ship alone. Just click on my name and see my albums to see how Aries would live with me until he was ready to ship. Like you I cannot care for Aries for his lifetime but I know Jay will and I can make sure Aries vacation is a good one until he gets to his new home.

Your call and it will not hurt my feelings one way or the other,
God Bless,
Tony
What a wonderful and gracious offer!
And Jay, if it makes you feel any better, I am always terrified to ship birds :eek: But I got 4 birds from PattersonK in Michigan last month. Michigan to Maine - overnight! And they were fine :)

·
Registered
696 Posts
Oh my goodness, Tirzah-- THANK YOU for noticing and helping poor Aries. What a nightmare for him to be used so carelessly. You took a heartbreaking story and made it heartwarming. I'm SO glad for Aries that you found him.

And I totally understand what Trees Gray is saying and you two do have a VERY special bond. Perhaps you could adopt a rescued friend for Aries and he could have you and a pigeon life.

But I also understand that may not be possible and want to encourage you as you look for the right adopter. I have been SO fortunate to meet many incredibly kind pigeon adopters and they take great care of the rescued birds MickaCoo has placed with them. (Count Big T amongst them- he's a wonderful pij adopter.)

Again Tirzah- THANK YOU for what you have done and are doing for Aries. I know he appreciates it and so do I. You're his angel.

All best to you both,

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
wow I haven't been on here in a couple days and I come back and magical things are happening!! lol! Tony, your offer is so very gracious, and I am extremely interested. I am tearing at the thought of Aries being able to live like the birds I see in peoples' profiles here! I am in Dawsonville, which is really only about an hour from you! Is Jay totally sure about all this? Would a trip up north that far really be ok? It all just seems too wonderful!!

~Tirzah

~Tirzah

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Hi Tirzah. Yes, I thought Tonys offer was really generous. That's Tony. Always doing things for others. I would be fine with this if you don't mind shipping. My loft is for rescues, some are even handicapped, so had to make some adjustments for them as well. We have a Saxon monk, homers, a cute little roller, and a capuchine, plus ferals. My loft is 8X10, and they have an aviary to get out in the air and sunshine. Large windows in the loft for air and sun. We are in Mass., so it is also heated and insulated. I like to spend a lot of time with the birds which are my pets, and wouldn't be able to do that if it was freezing out there. Most think I'm nuts to heat it, but like I said, I'm out there a lot, and I can't imagine my babies being out in the freezing temps of winter. You can check it out on my page if you like, or PM me with any questions you may have.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Elizabethy,
your message just touched my heart so much. Thank you for your kind words. Aries and I certainly do have quite the relationship, and it's been so rewarding seeing his personality bloom into the character that he is: If you show your arm to Aries, he flies to it immediately every time! However, he then remembers there's a hand attached to that arm, and he runs to it and pecks at it like it's his job! lol It's the funniest thing! I think he has never until now experienced any loving hands, only mean hands, and so it's taking him some time to learn about kindness. But he gets more trusting and wonderful each day. He is a remarkably smart animal, and learns quickly. He's always showing off to anyone who will watch, and he's learning his name! If you talk to him and use his name, he throws his wings up in the air and holds them there like a little falcon!
I just had to share that with everyone - he is just such a special and strong little spirit. Also, thank you all for being so supportive and understanding. Because of many circumstances in my life, it really would be best for Aries to be adopted into a loving, forever home. I have looked at some of the pics on here, and wow I am so impressed with the beautiful habitats these birds have! Thank you also for the adopter advice - it feels so good to have this guidance, and know that I can trust people here. You guys are the best! Thank you again Elizabethy for the kind words - it touches me to know that others understand and cherish these birds as little beings, not as things to be mistreated, and I am grateful I was able to promise him he'd never be treated like that again.

~Tirzah

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Jay! Thank you for the post! You are WONDERFUL and i have looked at your beautiful pictures - I am so very impressed! I also love that you heat it - I think that is great of you and it definitely makes sense! I do have a couple questions for you, and would love to talk more with you. At this moment I'm running out the door to take care of something, but when I get home I will get back on here and send you a message! Tony - you are wonderful too - you are so kind - thank you! I will be back later! talk to you soon!
~Tirzah

1 - 20 of 221 Posts