Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the Sherman Oaks California. My neighbor found a pigeon in her front yard which can't fly. She put it into a large cat carrier and called me (I'm the animal person on the street). I know nothing about birds. The only bird I tried to save died at the vet, so I don't feel good about that route. I've taken the carrier into my back yard (no cats dare come into the back yard due to my very large golden retriever who's inside right now). I've opened the carrier. Many other birds are walking around nearby but it's been an hour and the little guys isn't even coming out. It's full grown but one wing tip seems to be missing. I've put seed in and it's eating - poop seems normal. My neighbor has seen this one and it's mate around but today for some reason (injury?) it's not flying. I've read thru many posts but feel pretty in the dark as to what to do. It's after 4 p.m. and I'm unsure if I should bring it inside or what to do. I've taken a photo and will try to figure out how to post.

Please help.

Maddox

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Please do bring the bird inside. I was on my way out and saw this. There's quite a few people on line right now, so someone will see this and advise you further. Thanks for taking this bird in.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
In order to post photos, you have to use the "Go Advanced" button under the text-entry window. There's a "Manage Attachments" button somewhere down there (scroll). Pictures have to be less than 100 KB of memory.

Pidgey

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
When you say "wingtip", you may mean just the primary flight feathers of one side. Occasionally, it happens that a bird will get them knocked off for whatever reason. Sometimes it's a collision and Heaven only knows what else. If that's the case, then the bird certainly won't be able to fly until they grow back out properly. That will take weeks at best.

If there is skeletal damage like a broken bone, then you might want to feel the bird's wings (both of them) using the good one for comparison. You can go here to familiarize yourself with the bones:

http://people.eku.edu/ritchisong/skeleton.html

Does there seem to be any blood?

Pidgey

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pigeon w/ Injured Wing in Los Angels

No, no blood and the bird seems otherwise healthy.

Still working on the pic.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
If you could bring the carrier in and somehow provide heat for him, that would be the best thing for immediate care. A heating pad on low with a towel over it, or a sock filled with uncooked rice can be microwaved. Then after his condition is ascertained, you can give him some food and water.

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Thanks for helping this pigeon, Maddox, and welcome to Pigeon-Talk. We do have a few members fairly close to you who might be able to lend a hand. I'll have to try calling and e-mailing them a bit later this evening.

Please do bring the bird inside where it will be completely safe for the time being.

Terry

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've sent photos to Pidgey - hoping she'll have better luck getting them on the thread. I've brought him (or her) in and have put him in a quiet room with a heating pad underneath on low. There's seed and water in the carrier now. Although I'm an animal rights activist, I've never physically handled birds and am nervous I'll do more harm than good by trying to examine him. But I know of no good avian vet in this area - the last time I went that route with a bird it ended badly. As you can probably tell, I'm pretty freaked out. Any help is so appreciated.

Thanks

Maddox

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I'll go ahead and tell ya......Pidgey is a he, not a she. LOL
You're not the FIRST to make that mistake. ;)
As for the pigeon, what you are doing right now is just fine. He/She is safe with food and water and that's just perfect. You might, if you can, make sure that the bird can get off of the heating pad if it gets too warm.
Pidgey will get those pictures posted and go from there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry! I'm in a panic and didn't even think (although I did about the sex of the bird - shows you where my head is at). Good advice on the heating pad - I'd go in and reorient it so it's half on/half off.

Also Terry, thanks so much for calling some people in my area. I'd love some hands on help on this.

Maddox

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Sorry, didn't notice that the pictures had come in! Here they are (there are two pictures in the album):

He's lost his tail feathers and all of the primary flight feathers on the left wing.

Pidgey

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Remember to not set the heating pad any higher that low, as Maryjane said.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Well, seeing as there's no telling how he did it, we probably need to assume that it might have been due to a cat or another predator getting a hold of him. What that would mean is that it's possible that he's gotten exposed to a bacteria that many predators sometimes carry in their mouths and claws: Pasteurella multocida.

Pasteurella can be lethal to birds as a systemic infection. With pigeons it usually takes a tad more than four days for them to start really going downhill and by then it's often too late to administer treatment. So, what we like to do when it's questionable is to start them on a course of Clavamox (Amoxicillin+Clavulanic Acid; goes by a few names including "Augmentin") or, in case that's not available for whatever reason, then Amoxicillin.

Depending on your circumstances and location, there are usually several available options (including vets although you have to be more careful with that one than you might think in a lot of cases) that we can explore.

Pidgey

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
You're 50 miles and goodness knows how many hours/minutes from Terry Whatley. She might have a good idea what rehabber is nearest to you. She lives in Lake Forest, CA and her member logon here is:

TAWhatley

Pidgey

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
He might have gotten clipped by a car, too. That can blast out a bunch of feathers in the blink of an eye. He's going to need something on the order of three weeks to a month to grow them back before he can be released.

Pidgey

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We took him out of the carrier to change the lining. My husband examined him and I took more pics and sent them to Pidgey to post. My husband said he could feel the little guy sort of flexing the wing that was ok when he moved it, but the injured wing he didn't flex at all. I'm feeling a bit out of my depth here. I can absolutely care for him for a bit. I'll buy antibiotics. But I feel he needs someone with more knowledge about this to care for him longer term. I'm worried my lack of ability here will cost him his life. I can drive to wherever as long as the little guy is getting a chance with someone who is knowledgable and caring. As I said I'm in the Los Angeles area. If there's anyone remotely close who can help, please let me know.

Maddox

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Well, don't worry--we'll be working on that. It's entirely possible that he broke his wing. Feel the other one and see if the damaged one feels as solid, bone for bone, as the good one.

Pidgey

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
And the other pictures are in the same album but here they both are separately:

...and:

He's got a lot of feathers missing off his back as well so he had to have taken a pretty good hit. Do you detect that his left wing is actually hanging lower than his right (you might have to look at him straight on to see that)?

Pidgey

1 - 20 of 52 Posts