Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since May, a pigeon has made himself home here. He wasn't banded but seemed fairly tame from the time he showed up in the garage. We got him out but he has hung out with us since. My wife has been feeding him, and when he showed up with a tarsus cut off, we got him to the vet who kept him a few days then we nursed him for a couple of weeks and let him go again. However, he has stayed here. Now with the weather starting to get cooler, we are wondering about bringing him indoors since he waits for us each day and puts on a show when we get home. He coos, turns in circles and bows so we are guessing he has made us his flock. If I snap my fingers, sometimes he will fly and land on my hand. We are considering whether to make him an indoor bird for the winter and what all we need to do if we bring him in or what to do for him if he stays outdoors.

The picture was taken in May. Now the bird we call Hoobie sits on our shoulders and is comfortable being carried around. Quite an entertainer too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for taking care of this needy bird. Pigeons are very adaptable to the human world and make wonderful pets.

Please do catch the bird and keep it contained and allow it to fly indoors. This is a domestic bird if it is obviously tame and is used to being inside a loft type of house and being fed and watered. Also, it is a sitting duck for predator/hawk attack

It should also be observed for any possible issues. What does its poop look like? What are you feeding it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hoobie's poop is black or dark green. I don't have to catch him, he will come to me quickly now. If he is sitting on top of the glider, which he likes, I walk over and put my hand under his body and he climbs on my hand. Sometimes he tries to join us in the house. He perches on a window sill by the kitchen window if we are doing dishes. We carry him through the house on our hands and put him in the garage at night where he stays on top of a tool chest I cover with a towel. He is there in the morning and as soon as he hears us he starts to chortle. Very cute.

We are giving him common wild bird seed mix, we know he likes some of them better than others. We discussed having him in the house but don't know how to set him up properly. Would he be okay inside a large dog crate for starters?

We watched a video about pigeon pants, we do not want his poop around the house but I think we would be okay with him in here with us if we can deal with that issue. I'm also concerned he will knock down the objects we have on shelves.

I think he would get along with our mini poodle. They are okay together on the deck. I'm checking with my sons to see if they would take care of the bird when we are away from the house for more than a couple days.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for caring for this bird.

Do not leave the bird outside unattended, it is very vulnerable, especially since it is so tame. Bring it indoors and keep in a cage or carrier, allow it to free fly in an enclosure in patio or any space that is predator proof as I don't blame you for not wanting to free fly him indoors because of the poop, but it would be best if you could build him a nice little outdoor aviary to fly in a few hours a day or find it a home with other domestic pigeons.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I agree with Skyeking, that he belongs inside. He was obviously raised in a loft or in someones house. He won't do well outside for long, as a predator, like a hawk or owl or something else will eventually pick him off. A dog crate is fine, or a large cage for birds that is more wide than high. You could add a shelf at one end for him to roost on. But yes, he would need a couple hours fly time for exercise daily, and interaction with you. A small enclosure outside would be great for the nice weather, but not sure where you live. If winters are cold, then you probably wouldn't want to put him outside then, as going from the warm inside to the cold outside would not be good for him. They do make good pets, and this one won't last forever on the outside. Just a matter of time. I would keep him in.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Since May, a pigeon has made himself home here. He wasn't banded but seemed fairly tame from the time he showed up in the garage. We got him out but he has hung out with us since. My wife has been feeding him, and when he showed up with a tarsus cut off, we got him to the vet who kept him a few days then we nursed him for a couple of weeks and let him go again. However, he has stayed here. Now with the weather starting to get cooler, we are wondering about bringing him indoors since he waits for us each day and puts on a show when we get home. He coos, turns in circles and bows so we are guessing he has made us his flock. If I snap my fingers, sometimes he will fly and land on my hand. We are considering whether to make him an indoor bird for the winter and what all we need to do if we bring him in or what to do for him if he stays outdoors.

The picture was taken in May. Now the bird we call Hoobie sits on our shoulders and is comfortable being carried around. Quite an entertainer too.
Oh yeah, Hoobie wants to stay....DAAAA. The color is gorgeous. Keep as it wants to stay. See Marlene McCohen on you tube. She will tell you all info. Pigeon needs seeds, nuts, unsalted roasted or raw. Almond slivers or slices for calcium plus calcium supplement....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.