Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
i'm Luke
i'm new to this page and i live in barcelona,(spain)
my hen pigeon (rescue) has been having some verry runny poo's
which stink
could anyone tell me what she's got?:confused: or tell me what to give her?
i havent brought her to the vet because in spain they think of
pigeons as pests:mad:
and i dont want to buy her a mate untill she is well

thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ill try to send you a pic
but im not sure if ill be able to
she has been building a nest for the last couple of days
ill be bout ten minutes

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
If the hen has laid eggs and is incubating them and then comes off the nest and does 1 big poop, those poops are runny and very stinky.:eek:
Another cause of very stinky poop is Trichomoniasis [canker] which is the infection of a single cell parasite. Most Pigeons carry it in their system and it is easy to treat.
There are many products available for canker which you should be able to find on-line. They aren't very expensive. Here are some of the names...Metronidazole...Spartrix...Ronidazole.

Once you do find a mate for your hen and she lays fertile eggs, do replace the eggs with wooden or plastic ones. That way you won't have more babies. Do let the pair go through the incubation process which keeps the hen from laying egg after egg. Doing so, depletes her system of calcium.
Always offer calcium, such as oyster shell and red Pigeon grit each in their own separate dish.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Smelly diarrhea can also be a sign of salmonella.

The first thing to do when any animal that has diarrhea is to give it probiotics. They will do no harm and can do a lot of good. Natural yoghurt is a good probiotic.

Cynthia

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sorry
i cant find the camera
her poo's are light brown and very watery
by the way
she cant fly due to her injuries, so i turned the tree house in to an aviary without a top and for the last week or so i have noticed that a collared dove has been visiting her, could it be possible that he/she could be encouraging her to nest?
very sorry about the pics...
not a very good first impretion:eek:

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
You have to feed it with a syringe.

About vets in Barcelona, does this help:

Publicado: Lun Ene 05, 2009 7:29 pm Título del mensaje: Consultorio Veterinario en Hospitalet

Hoy y con la ayuda de mi amigo Francisco me han vacunado las palomas en un nuevo centro de Hospìtalet , digo nuevo al menos para mi ya que no conocía su existencia , ademas también hacen análisis de los excrementos de las palomas , muy interesante para nosotros.En resumen que la veterinaría colegiada Sra. Montserrat , sabe del tema de palomas mensajeras . Francisco ya hace años que utiliza este centro y además nos pilla cerquita de casa ( lo digo porque cada día nos volvemos mas cómodos )
Os dejo la dirección porque nunca se sabe cuando lo podemos necesitar.

MASCOTA ---Consultori Veterinari---Escuadras 22 tf.933383953 -----Hospitalet de Llobregat 08901 Dra.Montserrat Pascual col. 1322

http://www.palomasbcn.com/foro/viewtopic.php?t=138&sid=0ea9164b60cdd482f2a62fb47ca73a47

Maybe you could just take in a fecal sample for analysis? It could be worms.

Rough precis for non-Spanish speakers, there is a vet in Barcelona who knows about racing pigeons, they have facilities to do fecal analysis.

Cynthia

·
Registered
110 Posts
an all natural cure

I've had birds with what is sometimes dubbed young bird sickness. One of the symptoms is watery poops. Very wattery! And I have noticed a simular effect on my birds when they start to lay. Both of these can be easily fixed naturally. One thing captive birds need is greens. Wild birds eat these from the feilds. Dandilion leaves, darker lettuce leaves, or simply clover all provide the chlorophil which helps their systems stay neutral acid wise while allowing their gutt to be acidic enough to decompose the seeds they eat. The runs caused by young bird sickness or any other reason they have them can be cured by placing the sick bird in a sepperate cage for 2 days and simply adding cinamon to their water. I boil a few cups of water on the stove and add a teaspoon of cinnamon to it. Let it boil for a few minutes and then strain it through a coffee filter. This is simply a cinamon tea. Add one half cinamon tea to one half cold water and serve. Most birds systems return to normal within 24 hours. But for best results continue for 48 hours. Don't forget the greens. Some birds love tearing strips off dandilion leaves and swallowing them. Mine older birds have gotten so use to getting them that they climb the copps mesh to let me know they want some. They younger birds however do not all seems as interested but they do get a little. If they have access to the outside they will peck around on the grass and get what they need that way as well. But remember in winter to provide darker lettuce. Let me know if this helps. Hasn't failed with our birds yet. :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
cinnamon

I found out about it a few years back when we had a sick Roller pigeon. He far too beautiful to allow too waist awau but we could not afford a vet or meds. So I searched the net and was shocked to read about cinnamon on a ladies blogg about her birds. We tried it and he fully recovered with 24 hours. By 48 he was so rambunctious he made the rest look like they needed some too...lol Lethargy? Sleepy, slow moving is one of the effects of young bird. So I watered down the cinamon and added it to all of their water for 48 hours and they all came right back to normal. In my case I think they actually had a cold. What the cinamon does is warm them up and speed up their systems just enough so they can get over the effects of the virus. Anys the lady claimed it worked for young bird sickness and i have not lost a single bird to illness thanks to her. Once their system has returned to normal adding greens seems to relay help keep them that way. If their gutt gets overly acidic or too neutral the get the runs. The chlorophil keeps their gutt just right and a healty gutt allows them to keep saminilla and other such things in check. They always have it with them but they are healty and so their immune systems can keep it it check. Think of cinamon as a temporary immune booster. I would not recomens using it all the time just when needed.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Really there can be a lot of things that cause "Young Bird Sickness". If the young birds look sick, generally people call it that. Most likely it was a virus. Adeno and Herpes are two viruses that young birds love to get. Could have also been Chlamydia or salmonella/e coli. They all end up with the same basic symptoms. Sitting in the corner, fluffed, diarrhea, and want to sleep all the time.
I can see how your natural treatment could fix any of those. The viruses of course can't be stopped, you just have to get the bird as healthy as possible otherwise, so it can expell it without too many problems. And the salmonella can generally be fixed and/or discouraged by adjusting the acidity. E coli and Chlamydia, along with trichomonads, are always in the birds, just when they're immune system is down, they can jump up and get the birds sick. So since that cinnamon is good for the immune system, it should keep basically everything in check :)
I'm probably going to have to use that today. I have a pair of nestmates separated that I'm working on getting fattened up again and get whatever sickness out. They're not totally lazy, but you can tell they just aren't up to snuff. Oh how I love hot, humid weather :rolleyes:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hi everyone
just got back from the vets
i gave her the sample of poop
wont get the results untill tomorrow
by the way if paula (my hen) mated whith the collared dove and i let her sit on the eggs, would the eggs hatch?

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
If he fertilizes the eggs, then yes, they will hatch. But the young will be sterile. There is also a good chance she could just be motivated to lay, in which the eggs wouldn't have to be fertilized, and you'd just had duds.

Since we're talking about hybrids, this might be of some interest :)
http://www.internationaldovesociety.com/Articles/hybrids.htm

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
LOL! That was quick! Does she treat ferals?

by the way if paula (my hen) mated whith the collared dove and i let her sit on the eggs, would the eggs hatch?
Yes, they could. Scroll down this link for a photo of the hybrid that could result (the photo is if a ringneck x pigeon, but the collared dove x pigeon would look much the same).

http://www.messybeast.com/genetics/hybrid-birds.htm

Cynthia

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yes she does treat ferals
and now i know what was up whith paula...
when i got back she had laid and egg
sorry for kinda wasting your time...

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
You didn't waste our time! :) We're here to answer questions and help the best we can. Plus there was a lot of good info posted that many people may be able to use and learn from.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts