Pigeon-Talk banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
That is what I worried might happen.
The nest was in danger from preditors anyway, but of course the biggest threat was if it was seen by humans.
People often think they are 'doing the right thing' when phoning the RSPCA, and walk away feeling good, not realising that in fact they are signing the bird's death warrant in some instances.

Maybe in this case someone did do that, but let's hope the adults are ok and will learn not return to that spot. Thank goodness the eggs hadn't hatched or we would be worrying about the demise of the babies.

You did the best you could in watching out for them, and thanks you so much for that. :)

Janet
I know - I can't help but think that I should have taken them and tried to hatch / rear them at home, but I know they would have had even less of a fighting chance if I had! So frustrating.

I've learned not to call the RSPCA out any more, unless I absolutely have to, they're pretty useless. I know they're short staffed but (IMHO) they just don't seem to care - in the past they have taken more than 2 days to attend a duck rescue, when the bird had a broken wing and was trapped down a weir. I ended up fishing him out myself and took him to a wildfowl sanctuary - I know the RSPCA would have just put him down.

Anyway. I'm going to keep an eye out for the adults, and if they construct a nest there again, move it before they lay eggs.

Thanks everyone for your advice!

·
Registered
10 Posts
RSPCA... that brings memories, 3 weeks ago we had a fox trapped in he back garden, couldn't get out as the walls are very high.
called the RSPCA , daily but after 4 days they still hadn't turned up.
we were feeding it scraps from the kitchen.
anyway on the fourth day 2 drunk customers at noon decided to corner it and just throw it out the front.
we didn't actually think they'd manage so we left them to it charging around the garden.
tragically they did catch the fox and carry it through the pub and let it out at the front.
But the fox bit the guys hand close to a bloody pulp... I bandaged him up best possible, called a ambulance, blood all over the bar and carpets. he even fainted just before the paramedics got there.
So just as the ambulance is driving away guess who turns up...

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
RSPCA...
So just as the ambulance is driving away guess who turns up...
I can't imagine who turned up.....too late, let me think... :rolleyes:

These stories just keep coming. I do hope the chap's hand was ok.

BeePop,

It would have been distressing for the parents if you had taken the babies so don't feel bad about it. As you say, if you see the parents about, you can watch out for them, but hopefully they will go higher next time.

Janet

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.