Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so after rescuing an injured crow my neigbors have decided I'm your go to gal for rescuing injured birds 馃槄 because of this I now have a pigeon with a broken and drooping wing. Can someone please give me some advice? It is obviously terrified and is refusing water and food. I've popped it in a cage in a dark room to try and settle it. Will a vet treat his wing? As far as I am aware the local avian rescue is about 3 hours away via public transport so I'm at a loss on what to do.

Registered
We rescued a feral pigeon with a broken wing. The vet fixed it and we kept her as a pet...best decision we ever made! She wasnt releasable but Phoebe was our dearest love. If you cannot get to a vet peole here can suggest how to wrap the wing. Wing bones heal very rapidly. Does he/she have wild bird seed or pigeon mix? If you go to a vet you need to tell them it is your pet and that you want the bird saved, not euthanized. After the wing is fixed, he/she will need to stay in a small cage until the wing heals. Then you can keep her, release her ( if she can fly), or find her a home. Thank you for helping the poor bird! Pigeons get very tame quite quickly (Phoebe was sitting on our shoulders in a couple of weeks).

Registered
If you know of an avian vet, rather take him to wrap the wing. It needs to be done correct, otherwise it won't heal properly. Tell the vet euthanizing is not an option, even if the wing can't be fixed. There are various FB groups: Pigeon rescue and rehabilitation where you can also post.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We rescued a feral pigeon with a broken wing. The vet fixed it and we kept her as a pet...best decision we ever made! She wasnt releasable but Phoebe was our dearest love. If you cannot get to a vet peole here can suggest how to wrap the wing. Wing bones heal very rapidly. Does he/she have wild bird seed or pigeon mix? If you go to a vet you need to tell them it is your pet and that you want the bird saved, not euthanized. After the wing is fixed, he/she will need to stay in a small cage until the wing heals. Then you can keep her, release her ( if she can fly), or find her a home. Thank you for helping the poor bird! Pigeons get very tame quite quickly (Phoebe was sitting on our shoulders in a couple of weeks).
That's awesome, thank you! I will try at the vets and if they can't help I'll seek advice on helping him myself, I'm hoping he'll be the same as my crow as she never left my side once she was tame 鈽篴ww I'm so glad you were there for phoebe!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you know of an avian vet, rather take him to wrap the wing. It needs to be done correct, otherwise it won't heal properly. Tell the vet euthanizing is not an option, even if the wing can't be fixed. There are various FB groups: Pigeon rescue and rehabilitation where you can also post.
Unfortunately I live out in the sticks and there are none nearby but I'll ring around to see if I can get it seen anywhere. I will have a look on Facebook also, thank you!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's awesome, thank you! I will try at the vets and if they can't help I'll seek advice on helping him myself, I'm hoping he'll be the same as my crow as she never left my side once she was tame 鈽篴ww I'm so glad you were there for phoebe!
(Also we have plenty of wild bird feed and some treats I keep at home just incase, he seems to have eaten a little now)

Registered
Hi! Welcome to PT and thanks for helping him (and even the crow 馃榿)!

On September 2013 we rescued a broken wing pigeon, Apple.
Also her wing was droopy (I remember that she tripped over it while walking).

Have you tried to check under his wing and all over his body for injuries (sometimes they are difficult to find because hidden/covered by feathers)? Apple had a bad injury under her broken wing, it had a bad smell. If you find any wound and you notice a bad smell it means that the injury is becoming infected and so an oral antibiotic would be absolutely and urgently needed.
In any case, if you find any wound you could rinse it with a salire solution (like the one for contact lenses) then disinfect it (you could use something like Betadine) and apply an antibiotic cream twice a day.

Apple needed surgery, a bandage, a pain med and an antibiotic treatment. Even if she can't fly she is a very happy pigeon. At the beginning she was sad and didn't understand what was wrong (I remember that she flapped and flapped her wings like an helicopter...) but as time goes by she understood her new "condition". She has her own indipendence, she is able to do "small flights" and to jump, just for example, from the floor to the table. She walks and runs around home. She has a fantastic husband, they love each other so much. In the bad case (never able to fly again), even your bird will have a good life!

Here is the website of a pigeon protection group in UK (they mention some vets too):

Here is the Facebook link:

Keep us updated!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you everyone! S/he has no injury that I can see on the surface and no smell (thankfully) I will be taking it to my local vet, if they can do nothing else maybe they can give me a little advice on where to take it/how to help the wing, I have ordered some vitamins to put in the water and they will definitely be a full time member of my house (if they can't be released of course) I'm a little worried about their little heart because I have 3 cats (I should stop rescuing animals at some point but not today 馃槄) luckily my cats are terrified of birds due to the crow being a noisey, boisterous little thing that stole their food while they were trying to eat so I'm going to keep them completely separated until the poor little thing feels a bit safer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts