Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend had a pigeon with a broken wing (a wing dragging on the ground) on his porch for three days. I have lots of birds so on the third day he called me and told me about it so I picked it up and now it is in my basement. I have it in a confined space with water and currently chicken crumbles to eat. I am planning on getting it bird seed this afternoon. I did a little bit of research and saw that I should wrap the wing so I did just that. I struggled out of the wrapping three times so I felt like it was better for the wing to just leave it unwrapped. He's been in the basement for a almost two days and it doesn't appear that he's eaten much at all or drank very much. He might just be a little bit scared but I'm worried about that. And he seems to be staying in one corner of his cage and not moving hardly at all.
Please tell me if this is normal or not. And what else can and should I do for this beautiful little bird. I want him to heal and be able to fly away soon ... if not he's welcome to hang out with me.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Why is it in the basement? It needs some light and sunshine, then hopefully it will eat and drink.

If the bird hasn't eaten or drank much it needs to be hand fed. Frozen peas (thawed, drained and warmed) work wonderfully. You can easily do that by gently opening beak and placing pea on tongue and allow bird to close beak and swallow and repeat 20 times.

Depending on where the wing is broken it may or may not heal well. You still need to wrap it so it hangs as the normal wing to its side, because it is like a hang nail if you don't it is possible it will only be injured further. Have you tried vet wrap?

·
Registered
959 Posts
It would be best to wrap the broken wing, not only because it will give the wing a chance to heal in the correct position, but also prevent further injury while you handle him/her.

If he is producing poops, it means he is eating. Otherwise, you need to start giving him food - like defrosted peas.
Also it would be good to give him a once-over, for possible injuries.
Thanks for caring!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts