Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this pigeon for more than two weeks. My friend found him on June 14, she brought him to me two days later.
I immediately put him on Bactrim and Metronidazole. He was sick, couldn't eat, then he got better and he has been ok since. But the problem is his injury, his wound was necrotic. It was healing fine and today one piece od dead tissue fell off and I saw two broken bones sticking.
I put him again on Bactrim and Metronidazole, he is eating normally, I will take him to the vet, but there aren't good avian vets here. What should I do??? What can I do?
I don't want him to lose his wind, I doubt he would survive amputation!
Is there any chance that the new tissue surrounds the bone? They aren't sticking that much, but the wound is really deep!

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
The problem with bones is that if an infection develops it spreads very quickly and can be fatal. I have had two rescues that had broken bone sticking out, neither of them were fresh wounds. One had the wing amputated, but the other had the bone filed down and tucked under the skin. Amazingly that one was able to fly again.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This pigeon is on Bactrim and Metronidazole. I can get Clindamycin if you think it would be better for bone infections. Can I use Clyndamicin with Bactrim?

I want to try to save his wing first even though I think he won't be able to fly ever again.

I'm going to try with Fibrolysin (Fibrolan), it stimulates granulation. Granulation doesn't happen when necrotic tissue is present, so I'm hoping If Fibrolan stimulates granulation, that the new tissue will surround the bone and close the wounds.

Does any of you know of similar cases? My friend told me about a dog with a bone-deep wound that healed completely with Fibrolan.

Please look at the photos
http://imageshack.us/f/805/imag0458g.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/f/717/imag0456k.jpg/

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm applying this http://web.squ.edu.om/med-Lib/MED_C...00/mg/fibrinolysin_and_desoxyribonuclease.htm

Therapeutic actions

Fibrinolysin attacks fibrin of blood clots and exudates; desoxyribonuclease attacks DNA found in purulent exudates.
Indications
Debriding agent in general surgical wounds; ulcerative lesions; second- and third-degree burns; circumcision; episiotomy
Cervicitis and vaginitis
Irrigation agent for infected wounds, superficial hematomas, otorhinolaryngologic wounds

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
My pigeon's wing was punctured and Vet gave to apply Flamazine; just as the one above is for burn, wounds, ulceration etc. Make sure the bird does not intake it, since they like to clean themselves quite a lot.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The wound is through and through. I don't think we have other options beside amputation. Is anyone willing to show the photos to their vets so we can get another opinion? Please! I will post new photos later today.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Sure go ahead and post pics, I will fw them to my vet, see what he has to say.
Do you have a vet who would do the surgery?

Reti

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
http://imageshack.us/g/846/imag0002iu.jpg/

This is the album, all the photos are big format, so you can zoom it in.
There are three bones sticking, 2 can be seen from the inside, and the third one is seen from the outside.

Should I mark them with some arrows?

I was thinking if the vet could only cut the bones and leave the wing and then when the new tissue surround the cut bones, only the hole will be left and he can live with that. If you know what I mean.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
I think so too, he can cut from the bones and dead tissue and suture it shut. But the bird won't fly anyways so he might as well amputate the wing, it's faster and easier to do. Have had several with amputated wings, they do fine. I have their cages on the floor so they can come in out as they please.

I will fw the pics to my vet, see what he thinks
Reti

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The vet said that too. He is one of our best ortopedic surgeons and he will be performing the surgery, probably on Wednesday. Wish us luck! Although he first said the whole wing, he can be radical that way, but then he said he will only cut to the healthy bones because of the balance.
What antibiotic should he be on now? He is on Bactrim now because it penetrates the tissues well and I'm scared of sepsis. But he is on Bactrim for 7 days now, should I switch antibiotics?

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Good choise. If it is not necessary to amputate the whole wing he shouldn't.
Maybe the day bfore the surgery he can switch to an injectable antibiotic.
You can keep him on Bactrim also for a total of two weeks.

Reti

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
I would think the vet would give you something. Baytril is not bad and comes in injectable form. He could also give you some injectable ampicillin. I don't know what your vet has available over there. But definetely ask for some antibiotic.

Reti

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Baytril is not good for sepsis. I had a pigeon that died a couple of days after the surgery, he was on Baytril and Clyndamicin at the time.
Should I get some amoxicillin now and continue with Bactrim after the surgery? The vet can't perform the surgery until this weekend, he is moving. Will the pigeon be ok? Is amoxicillin strong enough?

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Amoxicillin is good for those kind of injuries. You don't want the exposed bone to get infected cause ostemyelitis is very hard to treat.

Reti

1 - 20 of 38 Posts