Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a few days this pigeon had been hanging around my bfs place, he has a broken droopy wing and is unable to fly. My bf took the pigeon into his backyard and has had him there since yesterday. He has been eating and drinking. We checked out the wing and there is a bone sticking out, i've included pictures.
Unsure what to do for him? I'd like to take care of him but will he need to go to a vet?

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
An avian vet will be the best option. They can do an x-ray to determine if the wing can be fixed or not. Don't leave him at the vet and don't let them euthanize him if the wing can't be fixed. He can still have a good life with you even if he won't be able to fly again. Thanks for caring.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi, I feel like a bit of a fraud giving anyone on here advice because I am very new to pigeons but I just want to second everything that Marina says.

I found an injured pigeon three months ago and one of his injuries was a very badly lacerated and broken wing but he has healed up. Although he can't fly well enough to be released he can "fly" about three feet and jump and flap a surprisingly long way. I now have him as a pet and he seems to be happy.

Even if you can't keep him you will be able to find someone to take care of him.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Hi, welcome to PT and thanks for helping him 😊!

On September 2013 we rescued a broken wing pigeon, Apple.

Her wing was droopy like the one of your bird (I remember that she tripped over it while walking). She had a bad injury under her broken wing, it had a bad smell. Have you noticed any bad smell coming from the wound? If yes, it means that the injury is becoming infected and so an oral antibiotic would be absolutely and urgently needed.

I asked for the name of a vet who treats pigeon in a pet shop (one which sells birds). Apple needed surgery, an antibiotic treatment, a pain med and a bandage.
Even if the vet is an excellent surgeon and put the bandage in the correct way, Apple can't fly. She is, however, a really happy pigeon.
At the beginning she was sad and didn't understand what was wrong (I remember that she flapped and flapped her wings like an helicopter...) but as time goes by she understood her new "condition". She has her own indipendence, she is able to do "small flights" and to jump, just for example, from the floor to the table. She walks and runs around home. She has a fantastic husband, they love each other so much.

In the bad case even your pigeon will understand his new condition and will learn how to live with it.

If you decide to bring him to a vet, please don't let euthanize him. Be very careful.
Here you can find some recommended vets in USA:

Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, welcome to PT and thanks for helping him 😊!

On September 2013 we rescued a broken wing pigeon, Apple.

Her wing was droopy like the one of your bird (I remember that she tripped over it while walking). She had a bad injury under her broken wing, it had a bad smell. Have you noticed any bad smell coming from the wound? If yes, it means that the injury is becoming infected and so an oral antibiotic would be absolutely and urgently needed.

I asked for the name of a vet who treats pigeon in a pet shop (one which sells birds). Apple needed surgery, an antibiotic treatment, a pain med and a bandage.
Even if the vet is an excellent surgeon and put the bandage in the correct way, Apple can't fly. She is, however, a really happy pigeon.
At the beginning she was sad and didn't understand what was wrong (I remember that she flapped and flapped her wings like an helicopter...) but as time goes by she understood her new "condition". She has her own indipendence, she is able to do "small flights" and to jump, just for example, from the floor to the table. She walks and runs around home. She has a fantastic husband, they love each other so much.

In the bad case even your pigeon will understand his new condition and will learn how to live with it.

If you decide to bring him to a vet, please don't let euthanize him. Be very careful.
Here you can find some recommended vets in USA:

Please keep us updated.
I'm glad you've given apple a happy life!!
i have not noticed any bad smells from the pigeon.
Thank you for including the list. I'm just worried about how much it would be to take him to the vet? i'm not sure i can spend a lot on him. When calling would i just ask if there's a cost and how much? And would i just ask to take him back with me to ensure he doesnt get euthanized? I've not dealt with taking an animal to a vet very often and especially not a pigeon so i dont know a lot on the matter

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Phone a couple of vets to get an estimate. When you take her in, just tell them this is one of your own pigeons that got injured. They have to treat her then and you as the "owner" can refuse getting her euthanized.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
As first thing I would ask them if they treat pigeons because I know, from my own experience, that some vets don't treat them (because they don't want to help them or simply because they don't know how to treat them..). When we found Apple at first I called an Italian vet... She didn't want to see her and told me "put a bandage"... 🙄
Once we rescued a very sick young pigeon, we brought him to a French vet and she refused to visit him even if I wanted to pay for the visit... She would have visited a dove but she didn't visit a pigeon.. The poor bird did not survive..

Anyway, in all honesty I don't know how much a vet costs in USA...
When you call them you could ask for the cost of a visit then, if you bring him there, ask to the vet to show you all the possible options (I mean, surgery, x-ray, bandage, antibiotic treatment, etc etc ) and their cost. Clearly tell him that euthanasia is NOT an option (unfortunately a lot of people say that a pigeon who can't fly is an unhappy bird and so they suggest or opt for euthanasia... Believe me, Apple is a super happy pigeon...).

If you think that the vet could not believe that he is your own pigeon...well, be more imaginative 😉: the pigeon belongs to your old aunt/grandma/etc, he escaped from his cage/aviary/open window and came back home after weeks with an injured wing... You offered your help or offer to adopt him... Create your own story 😉. Also, remember to give him a name.

Listen to all opinions then decide what to do. If they insist for euthanasia... Bring him back home.

In the worst case (never able to fly again) you could adopt him or look for a family for him.
We will be glad to help you with suggestions, advices, etc 😊.

Btw, it's a good sign that there is no bad smell! The wound is not becoming infected!

Please keep us updated!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts