Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found a pigeon that isolated himself over night. Is very young but has adult plumage and flies. Is abnormally small-sized, has the weight of a three weeks pigeon or lower and is very thin.

The noise is heard sometimes from inside body and is unusual, as is pretty hard and it sounds like some foamy fluid being absorbed or jetted out (like the sound of a shaving foam spray getting out).

The droppings contain some small (white translucid) rocks that he probably ate and some traces of blood (I spread out the dropping to make components more evident):

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The noise and that sort of droppings have disappeared, nevertheless, the pigeon is worse, very dizzy and letargic.

Do you guys think the plumage around beak indicates canker?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Thank you for rescuing this feral young cutie!
Canker is always present in pigeons and can build up in numbers when bird goes under stress.
Usually blood in droppings indicates coccidiosis,salmonella (and worms). Hexamitiasis can also cause blood in droppings and then usually the droppings are foul smelly.

When we have a sick bird at hand, many ailments can show similar symptoms but we should always look for the COMBINATION of symptoms in a pigeon that a particular ailment can show.

Please check the vent area. Do you see some irritation or some hardenend skin or seed, for coccidiosis? Hexamita can also cause seed in near vent or irritation or inside skin out and both can cause laboured defecation of droppings. If not salmonella can be the culprit.
Observe the bird and read about them named diseases online. Best to get droppings tested.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for answer and for the precious hint about the dirty vent as an indication for cocci (not in this case, but for future cases).

Today I took her / him (?) to a lab test and found out he doesn't have canker or coccidiosis, neither funguses or worms. The result for bacterial test is to come in two days. I'm pretty sure is salmonella or e coli.

The bird got some furazolidon till then.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Canker isn't always present in pigeons. It is caused by trichomonads, which are usually present in most pigeons. They are a single celled organism. When a bird is under stress, which could be caused by many things, like racing, breeding, another illness, even the change in seasons, then the trichomonads level goes up. That is what causes the disease of canker. But in just having trichomonads doesn't mean that a bird has canker. It is only when the trich multiply to a high level that the disease of canker is caused.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should have said "he doesn't have trichomonads", because the bacteriologist didn't find it at all. That might be surprising but is concordant with what I noticed this cold season throughout the city, when I didn't see feral pigeons with canker symptoms (lumps on neck / crop, mouth with deposits). This bird was born this winter so he didn't get the parasits.

Btw, I though that if something interesting will be revealed by the lab test, to start a "Poopology Atlas" thread, like I saw on other forums or web pages, based exclusively on results of lab test. Users might post their older photos as well as the ones to come and would became a useful info base.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I should have said "he doesn't have trichomonads", because the bacteriologist didn't find it at all. That might be surprising but is concordant with what I noticed this cold season throughout the city, when I didn't see feral pigeons with canker symptoms (lumps on neck / crop, mouth with deposits). This bird was born this winter so he didn't get the parasits.

Trichomonads is something they pick up naturally, from their parents. It isn't something they get later on, like parasites. It is passed on from the parents, and most pigeons do carry it. They live with it and are fine. It's only when the trich multiply and the levels go up that there is a problem. Your bird most likely is carrying Trichomonads, but isn't sick with canker. I don't think you understand canker, but you can google it and get a better idea of what it is.

Btw, I though that if something interesting will be revealed by the lab test, to start a "Poopology Atlas" thread, like I saw on other forums or web pages, based exclusively on results of lab test. Users might post their older photos as well as the ones to come and would became a useful info base.
.....................................................................................................

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, no much interest for the idea of Poopology Atlas :confused: I wonder why

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.