Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’m not sure if anyone can help. I have a pigeon in my garden and it’s wing drags along side it when it walks. It feeds on the food the sparrows and starlings drop from the feeders. I have water in several places it drinks from so it’s getting food and water. My garden is bird friendly although it’s not huge it has hedges all around. The pigeon sleeps on some wooden planks raised about a foot off the ground which is situated under a large drooping bush in the corner of the garden. It has only the front of it exposed probably for safety reasons as it can see what coming from only one direction then. It is not protected from rain so gets very wet when it pours down. It has been in my garden for at least 6 weeks now (that’s when I first noticed it) I only realised it was staying about a week ago. Cats cannot get into my garden as I’ve made it that way to protect the birds I feed.
My questions are, do I leave it ? It’s obviously feeding and living but it can’t fly. I’m not sure I could catch it as the hedging is quite dense around my garden for the reason of giving shelter to wildlife. Should I attempt to catch it and take it to a vet? Would they just put it down though? Will it survive winter alone if I leave it? I’m not sure what is best for the poor bird.
Any help is appreciated, thank you. I live in Worcestershire UK if that helps with any ideas.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I think you should catch it and contact a local rehabber to help. There are lots of pigeon friendly rescues in the UK. Poor pigeon won’t do very well in the cold winter and is away from its flock... not to mention that wing needs figuring out. Where in the Uk do you live?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh you said Worcestershire- hang on, I’ll check if I have anything saved!
Hi and thanx for the reply. I’m in Malvern. I had to take a dunnock once to a rescue place but it ended up dying. They said it was from the shock of handling and transporting it. We did put it in a box and follow the guidelines. How are pigeons for catching, travelling and shock any idea?
thanks

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hi and thanx for the reply. I’m in Malvern. I had to take a dunnock once to a rescue place but it ended up dying. They said it was from the shock of handling and transporting it. We did put it in a box and follow the guidelines. How are pigeons for catching, travelling and shock any idea?
thanks
i only have experience with my little fledglings, and they were all quite poorly. I would just have a box with something soft in like a towel, and be as gentle as you can when youcatch her, if she can’t fly away she might get distressed but not be able to get far. I would get a towel or something to help you, even if she pecks you it shouldn’t hurt, just be careful of the wing. Then you can have water and seeds or thawed frozen peas for her to eat. If she’s safe and contained she should be fine for transporting in the same box. Can you post a pic of the pigeon? Just curiosity.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers. I don’t have a picture but it’s a standard wood pigeon. The wing just hangs down to the floor but only the tip really touches the ground. The pigeon can open both wings out and close them back up and it lifts it a little bit but within less than a minute it’s back to touching the floor. When you get near she/he will flap a warning as they do to make you aware of its presence. So the wing does move but it’s not left the garden I don’t reckon for about 6 weeks. I had seen it back then in the garden with the wing down but didn’t realise it couldn’t fly. Only clocked last week when I went out in the dark and nearly crapped myself when I got close and I had the warning wing flapping lol. Wasn’t expecting anything in the garden and it took me by surprise.
If I can grab a pic tomorrow I will post it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hopefully you can catch her without too much fuss, i currently have a wood pigeon but I’ve had her since she was little and she’s completely tame now so now sure how skittish they are! When do you think you’ll get it to the rescue?

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
After such a long time with an injured wing, they might not be able to fix it. Don't let them euthanize the pigeon. If need to, you can build him a small aviary to sleep in at night and let him out again during daytime.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Good point Marina.
There are a lot of sanctuary’s in the UK that take pigeons who don’t fly, I have a rehabber friend who is well connected - if they say she will be euthanized don’t take her and I’ll get you her number! 🥰

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good point Marina.
There are a lot of sanctuary’s in the UK that take pigeons who don’t fly, I have a rehabber friend who is well connected - if they say she will be euthanized don’t take her and I’ll get you her number! 🥰
That is my worry, she is living a life currently all be it with out flying but at least she is alive. I don’t want her put to sleep. I will ring them tomorrow and ask them. I’m concerned on the distance to travel with her to get her to a place in case the shock does her more damage though.
I am going to struggle to get her as I have a well established pyracantha hedge and there is no getting into that and the rest of the garden has Laurel hedging and hawthorn. Basically planted it all for bird shelter.
Even where she spends the night I will have to crawl under the shrub to try to get her to come out. There are so many places she will go to cover that I won’t be able to get her. The more I try the more stressed she will become ☹☹☹

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After such a long time with an injured wing, they might not be able to fix it. Don't let them euthanize the pigeon. If need to, you can build him a small aviary to sleep in at night and let him out again during daytime.
Hi, I have put a type of shelter for the pigeon to go in but as yet it has not gone into it on its own. I was hoping it would realise it would keep dry under it but no lol. Unless I can gain it’s trust I wouldn’t be able to catch it every night. It’s hard to get to it as I have so much hedging. Even the centre of the garden has planted shrubs and a big buddleia. It’s all designed so the birds have shelter. I get so many, about 80 sparrows, close to a 100 starlings visit during fledging season and then it drops to around 50-60. Then there are the other regulars like tits, robins, blackcaps, blackbirds and so on.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
To me it sounds as if she has a good life in your garden. If you feel unsure about taking her, then rather leave things as they are. Pigeons prefer to sleep in a high spot, for safety reasons. Maybe you can post a photo of the shelter you have for her. She won't go into a small box. If you can build some sort of ladder, or even put bricks on top of each, she might figure out to hop from one to the other. Do this to a height of about a metre and put some sort of protection on top. Leave food and water for her there as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To me it sounds as if she has a good life in your garden. If you feel unsure about taking her, then rather leave things as they are. Pigeons prefer to sleep in a high spot, for safety reasons. Maybe you can post a photo of the shelter you have for her. She won't go into a small box. If you can build some sort of ladder, or even put bricks on top of each, she might figure out to hop from one to the other. Do this to a height of about a metre and put some sort of protection on top. Leave food and water for her there as well.
I can’t see her today so far. I think she is behind the pyracantha. She does sit on the wood pile so that explains why she does that. I wonder if I can erect some sort of cover over the top to protect from the rain? Won’t do much good if it drops really cold tho ☹ But will keep her dry I guess. She was soaked the other day and the other pigeon was dry that visited. It’s a shame to be honest, luckily she got to my garden though as any other she would have been picked off by the cats around here. I will look online and see about some sort of box shelter I might be able to set up on top on the wood. Obviously will need to secure it to the fence so it doesn’t fall.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
It will help if you can close the top, the back and one side of the wood pile with enough space for her to sit on top. This will help a lot with sheltering against the wind and rain. Her food can be put at the bottom of the wood pile, it should not get wet when it rains. They adapt to the cold, but if she is soaking wet and the weather is freezing, it won't do her any good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great idea. Will see what I can do. I’ve not seen her about at all today ☹ Usually see her feeding on the food the others birds drop from the feeders. May have just missed her though.

·
Registered
Pigeon rescue and rehabilitation
319 Posts
Sounds like she has a broken wing. She will definately need to be captured and or treated and kept safe from cats and other predators... Poor bird :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts