Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I rescued a pigeon last week. She is a juvenile and I am assuming she got kicked out of the nest following heavy canker infestation. When I got her she was quite heavy (the parents had been feeding her well) but her mouth was open because of a huge white cheesy lump. I started her on metronidazole, and the growth seems to have got brownish, but it has not reduced in size. Currently it looks like the roof of her mouth has come off along with the canker lump, and it is kind of dangling inside her mouth...I cannot think of any other way to describe it.
I am feeding her liquid feed directly into the crop, and though she is skin and bones now, she is flying in the room and fights to free herself when I'm feeding her. Today I took her to the vet nearby and he said it is too complicated to try to remove that growth as other structures are also involved. Can canker cause destruction like this?
Any advice on this would be appreciated.
Thank you!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Apparently canker can cause a lot of destruction. How long did you had her on the metro? The canker mass has probably died off by now, but still attached. Is she trying to eat by herself? Can you maybe post a photo of the inside of her beak?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Marina B. Thanks for the reply. Yes that is also what I think it is - the canker mass is still attached. She is not trying to eat by herself, and with her beak wide open like that, I don't think she can pick seeds anyway..
She is still on metro..

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That sounds great! I hope the rest of it reattaches to the roof of the mouth too...actually I did try taking out the growth on the third day, with a toothpick..but it wasn't successful.
Thanks Marina...will keep you posted!

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Hi, if you feel comfortable in doing that you could gently apply on the growth some lemon juice and/or povidone iodine. Just be very careful because stubborn canker could be treacherous. I mean, it could suddenly fall off and a bleeding could start or the pigeon could ingest the growth.

Here (post # 11) I explained everything about povidone iodine additional treatment:

When canker becomes brownish it means that protozoan are dying.

I would not use a toothpick because it could be dangerous.

Keep us updated.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Today while pulling out the feeding syringe from her crop a small mass seemed to come out...but the mass in the mouth is still there so beak is still open..Her beak also seems to have gone out of alignment..as in scissor beak..

I am giving around 15 mL of liquid feed ( seeds soaked and grinded) three times a day..is that enough?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
How is she doing? Have you tried to apply on the canker growths located in her mouth some lemon juice and/or povidone iodine?

When we rescued my pigeon Bruna (she had canker and was also poisoned by an anticoagulant rat poison), her throat was badly blocked and her beak was misaligned too because of the growths. Fortunately with time her beak came back to normal. Hopefully with time even your pigeon''s beak will come back to normal.

Keep us updated.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the reply. Maaza is still on liquid diet. I stopped the metro today as its been 2 weeks now. I do feel some resistance while guiding the feeding syringe down to her crop, so maybe there are obstructions all the way down. The canker lump in her mouth is still there, though some parts of it have broken off. Today I dabbed some povidone iodine on the lump, and the surface seemed to come off just like grated cheese...
I too hope the misalignment gets rectified, because otherwise there is zero chance for her release.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Glad to hear that the canker growth in the mouth has started to break off. You could continue to daily apply povidone iodine on it (once or twice a day).

If I remember correctly, one of our Indian members was able to order carnidazole online. Try to give a look.
In case you are right about obstructions (so still canker there) you could try to treat Maaza with carnidazole. It is very safe and it usually works very well.

Keep us updated.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi everyone. Maaza was getting slightly better, and her weight had slightly improved. But since two days, I have been noticing that she is standing on the floor instead of high up on the curtain railing, which is not normal for a pigeon. Today I took her out of her basket in the morning, gave her food via syringe, and immediately her legs went weak and she toppled on to the floor. Shocked, I quickly kept her back in the basket to give her some time to recover. In a minute, she was standing again. I took her out, placed her on my palm, and as is our morning routine, walked through all the rooms of our home. She was standing all the while on my palm but suddenly she started to lose balance and her feet (one foot in particular) began to curl up. I immediately transferred her back to the basket and she lay on her towel, trying with her wings to get up. I was heart-breaking to watch. I again decided to give her a minute, and now she is back on her feet.
Could it be calcium deficiency. I had dusted notix powder under her wings (just lightly) recently to get rid of the lice. Does that have anything to do with this sudden leg weakness?
I have stopped the metro, and I'm continuing with iodine application. I had no luck with buying spartix.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Sounds like a calcium/vitamin deficiency. Can you get calcium with added Vit D3? The toes curling up can be due to a Vit B2 (riboflavin) deficiency. Lots of info online reg baby chickens with this problem. If you don't have a petshop closeby, maybe you can try an agricultural store that sells supplements for chickens.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the reply, I hope the condition is reversible. I have been giving her vitamin supplements, but maybe they aren't enough. According to what you suggest, I am planning on buying Neurobion forte for Vit B, and human grade calcium supplement (with D3). Will cod liver oil do any good?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Cod liver oil has Vit D3, so don't give if he is already getting D3 from the calcium supplement. One can actually make a little shoe to tape the toes in the correct position. That's what they do for baby chickens. Leave on for a week or so and then remove.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay. Yesterday evening he was better, wanting to get out of his basket, and perch on a chair. But today morning, there is some weakness. I think it is worse in the morning, and gets better as the day progresses. I gave calcium and Vit B supplements today also.
The shoes are for splayed legs? Here I have a situation of his legs going weak...will shoes work for this case?
The weather has changed, and the air is suddenly colder. So I am keeping him in his basket more often.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Maybe some damage caused by the canker. If it becomes worse or start sounding like wet raspy breathing, then she might have aspirated some liquid. Then she will need antibiotics like amoxycillin to prevent respiration pneumonia.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts