Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I've been feeding a wild pigeon for over a year. The pigeon seemed to have few issues with its feet and was bullied by rest of the flock. However, with course of time it managed to improve its condition.

Yesterday in the morning, it came to my balcony and was pretty much active, however in the afternoon (when I was away for work), my mother noticed that it was bit dazed and had one eye closed. It came to my balcony today and his condition was somewhat same. The bird though wild is very comfortable with me near him and reacts whenever I feed him. However, he took some time today but did eat and drink some water later before flying away. I'm posting his pictures, so you can have a look at his eye.

Having gone through the forum, I did bit research, the bird did not have any yellow colour fluid near its eye, neither did it have anything noticeable inside its beak.

I want to know, whether the bird has its eye closed due to any injury (it has a history of being attacked by other pigeons) or due to any infection. Here in Mumbai, the heat is miserable and I've observed few birds getting infection during this time.

If it is likely to be infection, should I ask the nearby bird rescue team to take him to vet (he is still wild and does not let me touch him) or should I observe him for some time. Is there any medicine or treatment which can be suggested? I fear that it may fly away, if the rescue team tries to catch it.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I'm afraid I'm not very good with pigeon ailments but I hope someone with experience comes along who can help. If the rescue take in pigeons they'll likely know how to trap a wild one with a food lure and they could treat it then release it again. I'd give them a call if I were you just to enquire.
Thank you for looking out for this lovely guy.

·
Registered
29,796 Posts
That's really too bad. Poor thing. No one can tell for sure just what the problem is from those pics. It could be illness or injury. He can't however be treated if he can't be caught.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's really too bad. Poor thing. No one can tell for sure just what the problem is from those pics. It could be illness or injury. He can't however be treated if he can't be caught.
Thanks, I did call the Rescue team, however they were unsuccessful in catching him. He flew away as soon as the y came near him with the container. What's surprising is that he did come back to my balcony after some time and drank some water. He generally eats a lot but barely ate anything today, which makes me think it might be some sort of infection. He continued to seem dazed and left as soon as he was approached by some other pigeon.

Can anybody suggest me how I can catch him, so I can take him to a vet?

Also can anybody suggest any medicine for him? (in case we are unable to catch him).

·
Registered
29,796 Posts
Thanks, I did call the Rescue team, however they were unsuccessful in catching him. He flew away as soon as the y came near him with the container. What's surprising is that he did come back to my balcony after some time and drank some water. He generally eats a lot but barely ate anything today, which makes me think it might be some sort of infection. He continued to seem dazed and left as soon as he was approached by some other pigeon.

Can anybody suggest me how I can catch him, so I can take him to a vet?

If he isn't eating then you can't try to catch him with feed. If he roosted out where you could grab him, then it wouldn't be so hard to grab him after dark, as they don't usually fly in the dark as they can't see well then. But if he doesn't roost outside there then that isn't possible either.
Also can anybody suggest any medicine for him? (in case we are unable to catch him).

If you are unable to catch him, then it is a moot point. You can't treat what you cannot catch. Unfortunately he will get weaker if not eating. If he comes back and has gotten weaker, that may make it easier to catch him. If you catch him, you can monitor him to try to figure out what is wrong. That may help to have a better idea of what to treat with.

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
There are various ways to catch a pigeon. A long handled fishing net, a box propped open with a string to pull when the pigeon is under it eating, throwing a large blanket or towel over the bird at dusk, putting food leading up to a cage...it isnt easy. Hope you can catch him, he is lovely. Thank you for caring about him.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are various ways to catch a pigeon. A long handled fishing net, a box propped open with a string to pull when the pigeon is under it eating, throwing a large blanket or towel over the bird at dusk, putting food leading up to a cage...it isnt easy. Hope you can catch him, he is lovely. Thank you for caring about him.
Thanks, unfortunately my attempts to catch him were futile. But here's the good news, he's doing much better and is back to his old self. Ate a lot today and was successful in shooing away few other pigeons which were trying to take his share. He has opened the closed eye. No sign of mucus or puss. I tried rolling my hand near him and he did react, its unsure if he will attain the same vision but he surely is recovering well. Thank you for the well wishes!

Attachments

·
Registered
29,796 Posts
Nice to hear he is recovering. Thanks for the update.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts