Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Pigeon Lovers,
This is my first thread. I am caring since Friday for a Pigeon with an open chest wound from a Hawk. I have been cleansing it twice daily with an anti microbial tincture, saline and using Neosporin ointment around the wound; does it need stitches? He is eating and drinking. Also has a bad leg but an old injury.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Hi Pigeon Lovers,
This is my first thread. I am caring since Friday for a Pigeon with an open chest wound from a Hawk. I have been cleansing it twice daily with an anti microbial tincture, saline and using Neosporin ointment around the wound; does it need stitches? He is eating and drinking. Also has a bad leg but an old injury.
I there...I've asked a moderator to create a thread for your question.

Often...if a Pigeon has a chest wound,the crop has been involved and been torn. When that's the case, food falls out of the crop and the Pigeon is uable to obtain any nourishment. Have you noticed the Pigeon eating and pooping?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Hi kbk1942,
You are in the old tread and it may be that administrator separates your post for better visibility.
Keep the wound clean and monitor healing process stiches or super glue are required for deep wounds or crop rupture when the bird cannot keep food in the crop.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
open Chest wound

You guys are great, thank you so much.
Seeds are not falling out so the crop is not involved? the deepest part is from the heghest part of the chest down. It looks like her organs are visible. she is not bleeding and there is no puse, and of course its the Holidays so no one answers there phones!
Is it imperative to clean the area twice a day? she is starting to pook at me and doesn't like me reaching for her...I wouldn't like it either...and is there a optimum way of holding her? I have been cradiling her and holding her wings too while applying the saline and antibiotic ointment.
Kathleen

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Is she eating a pooping? Can you post a picture of her?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Do you have a vet available for tomorrow because I think it should be looked at and the bird does need to be on antibiotics?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My dog/ bird vet is out until Tuesday and I just finished cleaning the wound and much to my suprise the wound is closing! and the bird is eating and drinking, thank you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, and I will take her in..Her wound is smaller today and she is drinking and eating, YIPEEEE.
Thank You Charis.
Kathleen

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
That's wonderful. Let us know what happens...ok?

G

·
I think you should limit your cleaning of the wound to once every other day as you would be amazed at the healing that goes on under the crud of a healing wound on a wounded animal .. the most important thing is to have that animal on some kind of antibiotics while it is healing to keep it from getting infected ;) pigeons are amazing with their healing abilities so like I said antibiotics is more the way to go then a constant cleaning of the would ,scabbing is a good thing and open wounds are just looking for problems ..with my years of experiance thats my 2 cents.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pigeon from Santa Cruz is doing great.

Hi Charis,
I took BooBoo into the Vet and she stapled the long open wound together.
and started her on antibiotics twice a day. Dr. Good said her breast bone was lasceratied and didn't know if she could be let go. Also her bad led is a fracture and that may need surgery to repair it properly because the bone is not lined up.
I have difficulty picking her up. she flaps her wings at me and I worry she is in pain when I pick her up. Opening her little beek to give her the liquid antibiotic is getting a bit easier. Any advise on this would be appreciated.
Thank you and Happy NEw YEar,
Kathleen

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
santa cruz pigeon

Thank you Matriarch,
Happily I am not cleansing the wound any more.. The antibiotics changes the poop color too? It is more white now.
Happy New Year,
Kathleen

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Antibiotics do change poop color and sometime consistency. When you finish treatment period it is good to give porbiotics to restore gut flora.
Happy New Year to you too Kathleen.:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sometimes , they sit during the day?

What kind of food do you feed your pigeons? I have been using Hen scratch plus black oil sunflower seeds.
i also have her/him in a large box with windows cut on three sides. She is on the kitchen table facing a large window which I open when it is sunny and pleasant.
Also do they stand all day long or sometimes sit down?
Appreciate your replys.
Kathleen

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
You can use wild bird mix, corn, mixed peas, pellets, whole wheat bread, chopped veggies for vitamins, the bigger variety the better. When is hot, they will lay down but ussually they balance on one leg when feeling strong and healthy. You may get some cage for him as it will be safer and he will get more light. Dog carrier will also do.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Thank you for caring for this pigeons. Sunflower seeds are really actually not good for them. You can pick up a "dove" mix at any Petsmart or Petco or most pet shops. That, and if you can find a bag of red grit (blue will do in a pinch), will be perfect for short term. Keep us updated!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts