Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Found a healthy, full grown pigeon outside, all ok. Except 1/2 of the left wing feathers are missing. Appears that a predator caught it, likely a cat and the pigeon got away, loosing all its feathers in the process. Will try to nurse it back to health and see if the feathers grow back. This is all I can do. The pigeon is still scared and traumatized so I have placed it in my bathroom in bathtub and made it quite dark. For the moment it appears not to be eating or drinking from the trauma.

10 am: got it in my bedroom on a crate. He is preening himself, sitting on edge of plastic crate and observing my parrots. Have radio on to make him comfortable. If I turn radio off he is getting scared. Lots of construction noise close by, loud cutting, this is not helping much.

Edited to add: There are no blood marks, signs of injury etc., He is happy and comfortable.
This is an excellent sign. Just hope the feathers grow back.

Edited again to add:
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f5/how-long-for-clipping-wings-to-grow-back-26425.html
Above is exactly what I need. He is getting more comfortable with time, this is excellent.
If he is happy and healthy, then earlier the feathers will grow back.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Unable to estimate his age. Saw this:
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f5/how-to-age-a-pigeon-26528.html

He is an adult for sure and wants to return to wild, nature. Is eager to go out.
So will wait till he completely grows his feathers and once ok, will release him.
(Hope it is a he but time will tell).

He still has not eaten or drank anything but getting more comfortable with time. This is excellent. Earlier it was very warm and all my parrots wanted a bath, I gave one for the pigeon also, he was a bit scared but has calmed down later again, so this is all good.

Edited to add:
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f6/pigeon-not-eating-drinking-no-visable-problems-11989.html

Will monitor him and see how he progresses. Came across the above link, helps to be
prepared in case he doesn't start eating or drinking soon.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Is this a feral pigeon? Can you post a couple of pictures of the bird?
A couple years ago someone came on with the same problem. When we picked up the bird and brought him here, we found that the feathers had not been pulled out, but half the wing was actually cut off by someone. Probably someone using him to train their dogs or something. What a shame, and what a horrible thing to do to a bird. He's a cute little homer who will never again fly.

And if you need to feed that bird, you don't need the formula. Feeding frozen peas, which have been defrosted and warmed under warm running water is much easier, with less chance of aspirating the bird. Here's how.

If you need to feed peas to a pigeon, hold the bird on your lap and against your body. This gives you more control. Reach from behind his head with one hand and grasp his beak on either side. Now use your free hand to open the beak, and put a pea in, then push it to the back of his throat and over his tongue. Let him close his beak and swallow. Then do another. It gets easier with practice, and the bird also gets more used to it, and won't fight as much. If you can't handle the bird, then use the sleeve cut off a t-shirt, slip it over his head and onto his body, with his head sticking out. This will stop him from being able to fight you so much. Just don't make it tight around his crop area. It helps if you have him facing your right side if you are right handed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, actually I reflected on him a lot. Now I feel I have seen him fly around locally even last year, he flies very low and I wondered why. 1/2 his left wing is cut and has healed fully well. It will never be the same again.

He is very used to outdoors, had managed very well and even has buddies. Being indoors is stressing him and he is always indicating that he wants to be outdoors. He got used to perching on my finger and being carried around a bit, but still prefers to be alone.

The right thing to do in this case seems to be to release him where I found him. If he has buddies outside, has managed to survive outdoors and is happy outdoors then there is no reason for me to keep him. If I see him sometimes and he is willing, then I can feed him a bit. If not, that is fine also.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
If half his wing is gone, than he cannot fly. A predator will definitely get him. I would first figure out whether the wing has been cut, or if it is just the feathers. If the feathers, then he can't be released until they grow out. If it isn't the feathers, but the wing is half gone, then he needs a permanent home. Maybe you can find someone in your area who keeps pigeons.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If half his wing is gone, than he cannot fly. A predator will definitely get him. I would first figure out whether the wing has been cut, or if it is just the feathers. If the feathers, then he can't be released until they grow out. If it isn't the feathers, but the wing is half gone, then he needs a permanent home. Maybe you can find someone in your area who keeps pigeons.
Perhaps I will keep him with me for a few days and reflect upon him.
Might take a few weeks to get him used to indoors.

On the other hand, he doesn't wish to be touched and is making this very clear. The odds are certainly against him but he has survived for a year or more outdoors.

No one lives for ever. If he wishes to be outside and has buddies then perhaps it is best to just release him and let nature take care of the rest. This is specially if he isn't eating or drinking indoors. Even if given to another home that houses pigeons, he will not be happy as he is Feral and wants his freedom, nature, outdoors. Just reflecting a bit.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Okay, so knowing that he cannot make it outside in the wild, you still want to release him. Go ahead................throw him outside to the hawks.
They adjust fine in a loft setting with other birds, as we have a rescue loft with ferals, rollers, and fancy birds and they all do fine together. But you do whatever your conscience allows you to. I'm certainly not going to argue the point with someone who really doesn't care. No point.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, so knowing that he cannot make it outside in the wild, you still want to release him. Go ahead................throw him outside to the hawks.
They adjust fine in a loft setting with other birds, as we have a rescue loft with ferals, rollers, and fancy birds and they all do fine together. But you do whatever your conscience allows you to. I'm certainly not going to argue the point with someone who really doesn't care. No point.
Thank you for your kind response. I live in city. Rarely seen hawks and the likes here. If anything, every year seen one or two feral pigeons squashed to death from a car running over it.

It is impressive that he has managed to find food, water and live happily with his buddies outdoors. I read somewhere that in the wild pigeons live around 5 years approx. So, even if he lives one to three years outdoors, it is fine as he wants this badly.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I had named this pigeon Pauly.
From early morning today, Pauly wanted to be released and kept looking outside.
Was quite unhappy and stressed indoors.
Put him in a carry bag to release him, he jumped out of it impatiently
went to door again and started staring outside window.
Helped him back inside the bag and held it more securely this time.
7:30 am EST Just released Pauly very close to same spot where I found him.
Folks drop different foods here for wild birds and it is a nice treat
to see them all eat them at different times of day.
He was very pleased, started looking for food immediately.
There are other pigeons and sparrows etc., chirping close by.
Hung around a few minutes, made sure he is ok and then left.
Releasing him was the best decision in this case.
Best wishes to Pauly and his buddies.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
He can't fly so will not be able to get away from predators, flying ones or four legged ones.
You have sent him out there to die.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He can't fly so will not be able to get away from predators, flying ones or four legged ones.
You have sent him out there to die.
Regarding predators, as mentioned before this is City, so no flying predators. Regarding four legged, most dogs are on leash. Rarely seen a stray cat in this area, squirrels are there. As mentioned before, he has already lived in this area for about a year or so, hence he is quite aware.

He was panting indoors badly at times, seriously stressed out, wasn't eating or drinking. It was his strong choice to be released. As per him, better to live one day the way he wants then a life of captivity. He knows this area well and loves the outdoors. I am very pleased that I did as he wished.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
He may have not been eating because he was ill, but you don't know that. Something was sure wrong for you to be able to catch him. If he was panting, then he is ill. They don't pant from wanting to be set free. You even thought a cat had gotten him to begin with. And cats and hawks are everywhere. They are everywhere in cities too.
You did nothing to help him, but I'm glad you are pleased with yourself. Do you really think a pigeon knows what is better for himself? We are supposed to be smarter and be able to tell the difference. Guess not.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He may have not been eating because he was ill, but you don't know that. Something was sure wrong for you to be able to catch him. If he was panting, then he is ill. They don't pant from wanting to be set free. You even thought a cat had gotten him to begin with. And cats and hawks are everywhere. They are everywhere in cities too.
You did nothing to help him, but I'm glad you are pleased with yourself. Do you really think a pigeon knows what is better for himself? We are supposed to be smarter and be able to tell the difference. Guess not.
Regarding predators, initially I was trying to think of the possibilities. However, later on I see that practically things are different locally due to traffic etc.,

The moment he was released, he started looking for food and moved happily. This is all that counts. :))

1 - 13 of 13 Posts