Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ended up with a fledgeling pigeon that has sores above his beak and on one eye. I am feeding him corn, peas,bread, canary seeds etc... He looks pretty bad today... I have had him for two weeks. His eye is bulging with a sore and he seems to have less energy. He did eat but not like usual. Could he need antibiotics? and if it is worth a try what kind and how much and how to administer. I hate seeing him like this and have a bad feeling sometimes then I see him up and eating and cleaning and think its ok. Confused. Wish this could have a happy ending....

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Welcome to Pigeon-Talk and thank you for helping this pigeon! Could you post some pictures of the bird? If so, that would be very helpful.

If it is avian pox then your best bet is good supportive care .. feeding the bird, keeping it warm, stress free, and treating the pox growths with a drying agent to hasten them falling off.

The swollen eye is of some concern and it MIGHT benefit from either a topical antibiotic cream or from an orally given antiobiotic. Typical antibiotics that would be given orally are Baytril, Clavamox, Keflex, and others. Can you get any of these? Or just give us an idea of what's available to you and we'll try to take it from there.

Terry

EDIT: Just saw your other post: Human drugs that may help would be Ciprofloxacin, Augmentin, Cephalexin ..

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I'm sorry he's sick. I have one with pox that is almost recovered, I used hydrogen peroxide to treat his beak lesions and it seemed to work very well. I hope yours does well, keep him warm, you can give him a garlic cap each day to help boost his immune system.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I recently have had 6 birds with pigeon pox. Some on their beaks, vent area. One with a very bad eye and one with a large one just inside the beak where it joins.

After reading up on Pox I decided to try Colloidal Silver solution and it worked a treat. I applied it once a day with cotton wool dipped in the solution and a cotton or ear bud with the one that had the mouth problem. It is safe to use in the eye as well. I have never been into natural products from the health food store but I am now thinking of purchasing the unit to makes it. Cost around $200.00

All birds were healed and well after 10 days.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would like to give him augmentin. Today he is worrying me . His eye is completely closed. I washed it with warm water and salt to get it to open. He has a big fleshy pimple on it. He did eat poor thing, but not as much as before. He also seems to be trembling in one wing which really worries me. What is the dosage for the augmentin and how do I administer it. I have a bad feeling he will die form my ignorance and feel terrible. Please help with dosage of augmentin and what can I put on the eye. Would fucithalmic or an ointment with antibiotics and cortizone help?? Please give me advice....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts