Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i had this pigeon come in who had one eye closed shut it was red swollen initially i cleaned the eye with warm saline water treated him with ciprofloxacin eye ointment for 4 days but there was no improvement.Later i noticed the pigeon couging and yawning a lot and suspecting a respiratory infection on opening his beak i could see mucus in his mouth and there was no sign of canker now he has been on doxycycline for 10 days and his coughing and yawing has gone away and he is much active now.
However there still continues to be yellowish dry discharge from his eyes which i clean everyday which concerns me.The eye has not gotten much better with the antibiotic treatment however his eye is now open.
Here is an image of his eye with yellow dry discharge and swollen eyelids.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Ok that is part of the nictitating (third eyelid) membrane, let me look in one of my books and see if it has a similar pic. brb

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Ok so the mucous in the mouth it says is mycoplasma and a sign of respiratory infection lol which u already know.. Says to rest the bird for one to 3 weeks with no flying. Says baytril or doxycycline for treatment for 5 to ten days. Then says medicate again for 2 to 3 days every 2 to 3 weeks depending on severity of infection, so u be the judge.

Brb if I find anything bout the eye, not in one book but will look in the other.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts