Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had a look at that site you suggested and didn't really see any additional symptoms. Just the green poop, inability to stand properly on legs, kind of lethargic. He does not seem emaciated really but do you think I should hand feed still? Can you give pigeons pedialite for rehydration purposes? What kind of seed should I feed him?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Please help - Paratyphoid?

I have modified my original post:

I work for a Wildlife Rescue group and we just got in a homing or fancy pigeon (it had a band around it). This pigeon is pretty young and a nice calm little thing. I have taken it home to care for it because it appears to be sick. Nobody with my group knows what is wrong so were going to euthanize. I stepped in and took pigeon home to see if I can fix his problems. Somebody please tell me how to help him.

1. Has lime green poop which has tinged his butt area and underside of tail feathers.

2. Cannot seem to stand up properly. Kind of sits back on his legs and shuffles. Does not move around at all. Maybe his legs hurt because he just sits down all the time.

3. I could be wrong but he felt hot like he had a fever and was trembling a little earlier.

Otherwise doing ok, joints not really swollen, maybe a tiny bit by joints on legs. Was pecking at some seeds earlier, but does not seem to eat much. Keel is not prominent. Can I feed him exact or is this for babies only. He makes a noise like the babies do sometimes but does not look like a baby.

Please help asap. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Our group has access to anitibiotics such as clavamox and amoxicillan if either of these would help him.

Thanks
Rachel. H

·
Registered
44 Posts
He is from Louisiana. I am going to call his owners. He is a 2009 bird.

He should be able to eat on his own right. Why would his owners have let him fly free if he is not eating on his own? or maybe he escaped.

I am going to feed Exact later but really feel something is up with his legs. Why would he not be able to stand? I mean weak birds can still stand right? I weighed him and he is nearly 300 grams. I have noticed since yesterday that he is not really drinking much and not eating much at all.

He sits on his elbows all the time and does not move. He can flap his wings but does not want to fly or just can't. He feels hot as I mentioned earlier. His wings and legs feel warmer than normal.

Is there anything I can do to help his legs. Is there an infection that can make pigeons unable to stand?

Sorry, I have many questions, I really want to help this guy.

·
Registered
44 Posts
So I have been feeding Exact and have tried peas and corn. Pigeon resists but I can get him to eat. He is not losing any weight and seems a healthy weight to me. No change in the condition of his legs though. Still sits down all the time. Poop is no longer lime green, now a much darker green with some white in it. Is this a healthy poop? I have him in a carrier and change his paper constantly as I don't want him to sit in any poop.

Have been unable to contact his owners so far. Tried their number all day yesterday. Will try again Monday.

Unfortunately our rehab organization is very small and we have no vet on site or ability to do a fecal float. Most birds we see are cat bite injuries which we treat with a regular antibiotic. Nobody knows anything about pigeons! Please, please does anybody know what could be causing his inability to stand? I know he can stand up slightly if he wants to but does not like to so I believe it must hurt or his legs are too weak. He also has been leaning on one of his wings slightly. I do not believe his inability to stand is due to overall weakness. He looks good.

Oh and one more question - do racing pigeons have thicker looking wings than the average pigeon?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Here are some pictures. The one of his legs is how he stands when he does. When he walks which is only when made to, he walks on his actually leg instead of his foot. I also noticed upon closer inspection that one of his leg joints is swollen.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
I know isn't he gorgeous? I just couldn't stand by and watch him not get the help he needed.

He does have food and water in his carrier at all times. When I first got him he would peck around at the seed but I was not confident he was actually eating much or any.

I took him out earlier and he actually flew up to the ledge in my garage, could not perch very well because of his legs but still flew all the same. I hope this clavamox helps him. I shall keep you all updated. Thanks for the advice so far.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi all,

Thought I would post an update and also get some additional advice.

So the pigeon has just completed ten days of Clavamox and I am happy to report that he is standing properly now and is out in my flight cage with the feral pigeon I rescued. I am still feeding him Exact because he does not seem to eat much on his own. He eats some little seeds but every time I feel the crop it is empty so I thought best to keep feeding Exact - do you agree??

I have tried calling his owners and still no reply. Am being patient and will try again.

My other question was - can you tell from the pictures I originally posted if the pigeon is a male or a female? The pigeon is quite docile around the feral pigeon. The feral pigeon however does not like this one. Will try and peck at him if he gets to close. Why do they do this? I thought pigeons were sociable. Is it because one is a feral and one is a racer? Can they tell the difference?

As always your help is much appreciated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.