Pigeon-Talk banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
Good. You should see an improvement in 4-5 days. Please keep him on the clavamox for 10 days.
What a gorgeous bird he is.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Hi Rachel 25, I do not have anyting to add, other than to thank you for all the good work you folks do in the wild life rescue business, and special thanks for taking in this beautiful pigeon. I am glad you started treatment.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Rachel.........That is one pretty little pidg. Thank you for all that you are doing to get him well. Continue the hand feedings and the clavamox and I think you will see great improvement in a few days.

Does he also have available to him in his cage/box a supply of seed & water? As he starts to feel better I am sure he will start self feeding as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I know isn't he gorgeous? I just couldn't stand by and watch him not get the help he needed.

He does have food and water in his carrier at all times. When I first got him he would peck around at the seed but I was not confident he was actually eating much or any.

I took him out earlier and he actually flew up to the ledge in my garage, could not perch very well because of his legs but still flew all the same. I hope this clavamox helps him. I shall keep you all updated. Thanks for the advice so far.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi all,

Thought I would post an update and also get some additional advice.

So the pigeon has just completed ten days of Clavamox and I am happy to report that he is standing properly now and is out in my flight cage with the feral pigeon I rescued. I am still feeding him Exact because he does not seem to eat much on his own. He eats some little seeds but every time I feel the crop it is empty so I thought best to keep feeding Exact - do you agree??

I have tried calling his owners and still no reply. Am being patient and will try again.

My other question was - can you tell from the pictures I originally posted if the pigeon is a male or a female? The pigeon is quite docile around the feral pigeon. The feral pigeon however does not like this one. Will try and peck at him if he gets to close. Why do they do this? I thought pigeons were sociable. Is it because one is a feral and one is a racer? Can they tell the difference?

As always your help is much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Hi all,

Thought I would post an update and also get some additional advice.

So the pigeon has just completed ten days of Clavamox and I am happy to report that he is standing properly now and is out in my flight cage with the feral pigeon I rescued. I am still feeding him Exact because he does not seem to eat much on his own. He eats some little seeds but every time I feel the crop it is empty so I thought best to keep feeding Exact - do you agree??

I have tried calling his owners and still no reply. Am being patient and will try again.

My other question was - can you tell from the pictures I originally posted if the pigeon is a male or a female? The pigeon is quite docile around the feral pigeon. The feral pigeon however does not like this one. Will try and peck at him if he gets to close. Why do they do this? I thought pigeons were sociable. Is it because one is a feral and one is a racer? Can they tell the difference?

As always your help is much appreciated.
Thank you for taking such good care of this pigeon. Pigeons normally will eat about a tablespoon of seed per meal and she should be eating at least twice a day. If you think she is not eating that much, continue to hand feed her. She can certainly use the extra nutrition.

As far as the pictures go, I think it is possible she is a she, but that is just a guess based on her docile reaction to the feral pigeon, it could just be a young male. The other pigeon may be reacting to the other bird because he is being territorial, and doesn't want him near his cage. Pigeons are social, yes, but they are territorial too. :p

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.